Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Big single turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
EludeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big single turbo setup

I was looking through some vendor classifieds earlier and seen the powerlab single kit... I believe that there shouldn't be much of a problem getting the turbo itself mounted (as the DE and HR manifolds are interchangeable). My biggest concern however is the plumbing.

The DE as we all know has a single throttle body and we have twin throttle bodies. Would it be feasible to make use of the DE IC kit (like the greddy IC for example) except re-route the IC (or mount it backwards), so that their are two outlets and one inlet.

I am sure the plumbing can be ran this way... but will this present any problems with uneven pressure between the throttle bodies ?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
j_greene

Id think as long as you have BOV for both sides, you'd be ok.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be an interesting project....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
fstrnldr

i wouldn't be worried about the pressure difference between the throttle bodies since the stock manifold is open between them on the inside anyway. I mean i would try to make it as equal as possible, but if they aren't 100% exact, it won't be the end of the world. Now that being said, i'm a firm believer that V motors need twins!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I talked to a shop about doing this and they said that it really wasnt worth it , a lot of custom fabbing and it would probably cost you just as much as a TT kit in the long run
Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 PM
EludeR

Originally Posted by folgrz
I talked to a shop about doing this and they said that it really wasnt worth it , a lot of custom fabbing and it would probably cost you just as much as a TT kit in the long run
Yes but a TT kit will be a pain in the *** in the long run. TT = double the plumbing ... double the likelihood of a boost leak and a even bigger pain in the *** to trace and find. More difficult to work on e.t.c. If anyone here has ever owned a TT z32 or worked on one they know exactly what I am talking about. The VG30E's kicked major *** with single turbo setups... lets not forget the GM 3.8V6 out of the t-types as well.

I am already in the midst of purchasing a GT42RS .
Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
350z-Jason

Originally Posted by EludeR
Yes but a TT kit will be a pain in the *** in the long run. TT = double the plumbing ... double the likelihood of a boost leak and a even bigger pain in the *** to trace and find. More difficult to work on e.t.c. If anyone here has ever owned a TT z32 or worked on one they know exactly what I am talking about. The VG30E's kicked major *** with single turbo setups... lets not forget the GM 3.8V6 out of the t-types as well.

I am already in the midst of purchasing a GT42RS .
up.
whatever happened to this?