Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch question

Did a couple runs at the track and noticed my clutch seems less torquey now when driving/shifting around regular. It's slight..so maybe it's just in my head, or have other people experienced this or think it's possible?

The clutch seems okay so far, but just looking ahead. Read up on the JWT clutch and flywheel combo that a lot of people seem to have. Should the flywheel be replaced if I'm only looking to replace the clutch? Seems a lot of people are disgusted with the flywheel chatter. The exedy clutch seems to be promising as well.

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most people when they change their clutch also replace the flywheel, you might as well while you have everything taken apart.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
zettahertz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i sense the clutch feeling softer/weaker thing too after some aggressive launch/shifts. It feels smoother when engaging but doesn't feel like normal.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
musubi

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
most people when they change their clutch also replace the flywheel, you might as well while you have everything taken apart.
I see, so typically the flywheel is replaced out of convenience when installing the clutch? Assuming of course the clutch and flywheel isn't totally trashed.

Originally Posted by zettahertz
I think i sense the clutch feeling softer/weaker thing too after some aggressive launch/shifts. It feels smoother when engaging but doesn't feel like normal.
Thanks for your feedback. Shifting does feel smoother...which is good i guess. The fact that it doesn't feel like it did just bothers me.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
musubi

I found others have replaced their clutch without the flywheel on earlier models with satisfactory results.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...-flywheel.html

just fyi for whoever...

Would like to hear anyone else feeling less torquey shifts due to general use or after tracking their stock Z.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 PM
JZK

Originally Posted by musubi

Would like to hear anyone else feeling less torquey shifts due to general use or after tracking their stock Z.
By less torquey shifts; I suppose you mean smoother clutch engagements everytime you shift? This is cause the clutch warms up and doesnt grab as hard as opposed to when the clutch is cold. Especially after the track; your clutch would be smoking hot. My stock clutch would slip after I ran a couple of times. I replaced my stock clutch & flywheel with the JWT combo. It's a great combo. Flywheel is annoying; yes. But you get used to it.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see, so typically the flywheel is replaced out of convenience when installing the clutch? Assuming of course the clutch and flywheel isn't totally trashed.
yes
Old 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM
musubi

So I was told by a local shop that the flywheel in the 08 Z (I'm guessing 07 Z as well...) is a dual type which costs over $1100 to replace? And If I replace it with the JWT, it chatters (so I've read). Hard to really weigh the pro's and con's IF that's true. Anyone know about the stock flywheel? I'm not looking into upgrading the flywheel to a lightweight one.

He's also recommending to replace the flywheel and the clutch. Which makes sense, but sounds pricey to me. $1100+ for the flywheel, $500 for the clutch and another $400 for the install. Anyone agree with this??
Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New flywheel isn't needed.

Usually, you just resurface the flywheel when replacing the clutch (which equates to roughing up the surface of the flywheel so the new clutch can "grab" it).

However, there are benefits to getting a lightweight flywheel (less rotating mass, quicker revs, etc).
Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I was told by a local shop that the flywheel in the 08 Z (I'm guessing 07 Z as well...) is a dual type which costs over $1100 to replace? And If I replace it with the JWT, it chatters (so I've read). Hard to really weigh the pro's and con's IF that's true. Anyone know about the stock flywheel? I'm not looking into upgrading the flywheel to a lightweight one.

He's also recommending to replace the flywheel and the clutch. Which makes sense, but sounds pricey to me. $1100+ for the flywheel, $500 for the clutch and another $400 for the install. Anyone agree with this??
My cousin replaced his "dual mass" stock flywheel with the JWT flywheel.

Makes a "cement truck" sound. Can be annoying for sure.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:17 PM
musubi

Originally Posted by beetlejuice
My cousin replaced his "dual mass" stock flywheel with the JWT flywheel.

Makes a "cement truck" sound. Can be annoying for sure.
Ahh, that's what it's called, dual mass. Thanks for your feedback.
I'll have to talk to my local shop more to discuss my options.
I'm beginning to notice how soft the clutch pressure really is compared to my other vehicles. I'm guessing the only way to increase the clutch pressure is to swap it for a clutch with tougher springs?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Ex2cinaZ
Destructo Girl

If you're thinking of putting the JWT clutch in, why would you not put the flywheel in There is some chatter at idle, but you didn't buy the z because it was a smooth, quiet, practical vehicle. I had the JWT installed in my 06 roadster and it made a world of difference you'll love it especially if you drag race. I intend on having one installed in the Nismo - if you're going to do the clutch I would strongly reccomend the flywheel as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beetlejuice
New flywheel isn't needed.

Usually, you just resurface the flywheel when replacing the clutch (which equates to roughing up the surface of the flywheel so the new clutch can "grab" it).

However, there are benefits to getting a lightweight flywheel (less rotating mass, quicker revs, etc).
stock dual mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced
Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
musubi

Originally Posted by Ex2cinaZ
If you're thinking of putting the JWT clutch in, why would you not put the flywheel in There is some chatter at idle, but you didn't buy the z because it was a smooth, quiet, practical vehicle. I had the JWT installed in my 06 roadster and it made a world of difference you'll love it especially if you drag race. I intend on having one installed in the Nismo - if you're going to do the clutch I would strongly reccomend the flywheel as well.

Thanks for your input. It just seemed like it was really...really noisy or something. I understand there will be some noise, but...I mean, a car sounding like a cement truck doesn't sound appealing at all. Makes me feel a lil better seeing that a new dual mass flywheel will be some bucks.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
stock dual mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced
Ahh...bummers..thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
musubi

After a bit more researching, it seems there's no other flywheel like the stock one that reduces chatter in the gearbox.

I bought the car for its design, power and handling. Having the car sound like a cement truck around town doesn't seem like something I'd associate with a sports car. I kinda know what the chatter sounds like being my stock setup chatters a bit...but it's hardly noticeable. I guess I'm not understanding how apparent this sound really is. Maybe some people might be exagerating, but what do I know..I don't have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel.

Clutch seems okay, but soft. Only concerned that it doesn't feel like it did, or like normal. If I change it out and chatters to hell, I'm also concerned that the dealer will notice, question or check it out and therefore void all warranty on engine and trans. Which I can somehow see happening. Shot in the dark..does anyone have a vid or sound clip of it chattering at idle?

I see my options now. Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Simplest for me would just be to wait till around my warranty gives out, then mess around with all this.

Thanks for everyones feedback!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Ex2cinaZ
Destructo Girl

After a bit more researching, it seems there's no other flywheel like the stock one that reduces chatter in the gearbox.

I bought the car for its design, power and handling. Having the car sound like a cement truck around town doesn't seem like something I'd associate with a sports car. I kinda know what the chatter sounds like being my stock setup chatters a bit...but it's hardly noticeable. I guess I'm not understanding how apparent this sound really is. Maybe some people might be exagerating, but what do I know..I don't have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel.

Clutch seems okay, but soft. Only concerned that it doesn't feel like it did, or like normal. If I change it out and chatters to hell, I'm also concerned that the dealer will notice, question or check it out and therefore void all warranty on engine and trans. Which I can somehow see happening. Shot in the dark..does anyone have a vid or sound clip of it chattering at idle?

I see my options now. Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Simplest for me would just be to wait till around my warranty gives out, then mess around with all this.

Thanks for everyones feedback!
The chatter is not that bad at all... sounds like a really muted rock tumbler and you'll only hear it when you're at idle in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If it bothers you that bad when you're sitting at a light or something... just push the clutch in Not getting a clutch because of the minimal chatter would be like not going fi because you don't like the sound of the bov.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
musubi

The chatter is not that bad at all... sounds like a really muted rock tumbler and you'll only hear it when you're at idle in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If it bothers you that bad when you're sitting at a light or something... just push the clutch in Not getting a clutch because of the minimal chatter would be like not going fi because you don't like the sound of the bov.
So my car's gonna sound meaner and have sort of a growl then j/k
Thanks. Now I have a better understanding.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Ex2cinaZ
Destructo Girl

So my car's gonna sound meaner and have sort of a growl then j/k
Thanks. Now I have a better understanding.
DOOOO IT! Seriously, you'll be happy you did. And your left leg will get a little stronger!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
kramykram

if you want to go lightweight flywheel and not much chatter go with a clutchmasters. let alone they are 3 peice and made no where near the noise i have heard the jwt make with being a 2 peice. the clutchmasters is lighter, and you can replace the ring gear and center friction plate.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1.
I had the fx400 + LW flywheel.. Great combo, chatter was not an issue for me.. I loved the sound

DOOOO IT! Seriously, you'll be happy you did. And your left leg will get a little stronger!
also very true..

Quick Reply: clutch question