Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Engine wont let me Rev past 2200 RPM techs are stumped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
ian350zdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TB might be the cause but also the Cat Converter. I had a 95 lexus and did the same thing, it wont go pass 3k rpm and wont go pass 35mph. The cause was a bad cat.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
staticfive05

well finally i called in yesterday to see what happened apparently after putting on new intake and new mass air flow sensor, and those doing nothing they put the original stuff back on and called Nissan to do some testings and relay back to them, i guess the car is now drivable past the 2200 rpm, and the idle is completely fine, i went and picked up the car and just let it sit while running for about 10 minutes while i spoke with him, and he agreed he doesn't think its normal but Nissan considered it to be in there parameters of function, so in other words Nissan said " stop being a *****, were not doing anything out of the ordinary for you" i asked what the probabilities of it happening are again, and he said he wouldn't know, and i told him i just hope nothing serious happens on the roads if it does go down again.

i also so another thread similar to this, someone mentioned using a product called Heet to remove water that might have separated in the gas tank, that seems likely to have happened reason being , i was down to about a quarter tank in my gas, and it rained for a week here, and i hate driving my car in the rain so it sat outside for about 6 days well California has some interesting weather so between the rain it would become hot, apparently this can cause the water in the gasoline to separate from sitting there and also condensate, and since i was low on gas the engine sucked up the water causing it to malfunction in higher rpm.

well i drove the car home pretty rough and rev'd here and there, and i bought that heat stuff ill let you know how it works and see if my idle becomes more steady right now it idles up and down between 100 rpm.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 AM
ZexyRider

I had a similar problem on my 07, once I start driving after 5-6 min, if the car stop and start going again, the car will start choking at around 2500rpm. and it will only happen once if the car is cold started.
Want to bring it to the dealer, but I had my R1 installed!!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM
staticfive05

whats an R1 and do you think by putting intake on the car it can make it worse?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
blainer

I had a similar issue on my 04 mustang gt that I had a few years back. It was the cat, I had scraped the cat on a speed bump and it broke the insides loose and over time clogged the cat up. I replaced both converters and never had anymore problems. But It was a massive feeling of the car having no power whatsoever.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Zeebra

R1 is the exhaust he put on.. Intake should not make any difference. Thats pretty interesting about the water in the gas tank. A brand new car with this kinda issue sounds like it could be something random and weird like the water in the fuel.. Not a faulty part.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:19 PM
staticfive05

well i guess the water would be from gas stations who bypass weights and measures some how, but again i only go to chevron and mobile, but anyhow if it happens again i think its the cat, because lots of people have said the same thing, and by law its warrantied for like 10 years i believe. i remember reading something about it
Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 AM
n2oZ

wanted to add my 2 cents.

I hear the water in the gas, and while that could make it spit sputter and die, i don't see it holding you at an rpm limit. Sure the computer might go in limp mode but if water was in the gas i would think between limp mode and water it would just die.

As for this sensor and that sensor, who knows but sensors dont usually put the car in limp mode either, not unless several sensors are having issues. (edit : i have to change my mind on this, i have seen a crank shaft sensor screw with a car in this way but that was 89 grand prix and what happened there is the wire was exposed and shorting out causing this problem intermitingly.)

one thing i have seen do this though is a glitch with the ignition to computer signal. My car would die at random times, revs be restricted, no trouble light would come on, you could hit the gas when it would start bogging and it would just die. I took it to the dealership several times and they said i was crazy maybe just bad gas. Changed dealerships and i got lucky and one of thier guys figured out it was the ignition screwing with the computer ........ wish i could say the exact thing he said but he lost me after your car is ready and fixed .......

Last edited by n2oZ; 02-15-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Zeebra

I would just get some HFC or test Pipes and be done with that question. Make sure you get test pipes with the flex section my Strup ones crank once a year lol.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Peak350

Sounds like a throttle body issue. I've seen this 3 times on CABLE throttle cars, but I don't have experience on a DBW car with this issue.

If it was a cat issue, the problem wouldn't just go away like that.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:09 PM
zman600

+1 for limp mode
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
staticfive05

Smile

ya the water in the tank helped with more of the steadiness of the idle its alot better its between 15-25 range before it was 100-150 , also i feel you guys are right, throttle body.. on my gti i had the same problem like 2 months after i got it.. and he said " aha good thing you have a warranty its a 800 dollar part" all though it was a used car with 30k on it, i was still pissed because it was " certified " any how it restricted my rpm from increasing past 2200 rpm as well BUT there was a light that came on the dash and the manual said that particular light is caused due to failure in the catalytic converter ! but when i took it in they said it was the air flow sensor and throttle body weird anyway i hope it doesn't happen again because its very dangerous because when it happens its almost like someone hits the brakes on your car, and people in California are Phucken retarded! and drive way to close to each other.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Zeebra

the throttle position sensor which goes bad would pop a code though (mine went bad at 60k miles)... Hes just getting a limp mode... the cat would also pop a code.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by staticfive05
ya the water in the tank helped with more of the steadiness of the idle its alot better its between 15-25 range before it was 100-150 , also i feel you guys are right, throttle body.. on my gti i had the same problem like 2 months after i got it.. and he said " aha good thing you have a warranty its a 800 dollar part" all though it was a used car with 30k on it, i was still pissed because it was " certified " any how it restricted my rpm from increasing past 2200 rpm as well BUT there was a light that came on the dash and the manual said that particular light is caused due to failure in the catalytic converter ! but when i took it in they said it was the air flow sensor and throttle body weird anyway i hope it doesn't happen again because its very dangerous because when it happens its almost like someone hits the brakes on your car, and people in California are Phucken retarded! and drive way to close to each other.
Maybe you can meet up with Jared and John when they head out to GTM next time. I'm sure Jared can do some tests on your throttle body etc and figure out the problem. They bring the ConsultIII with them when they go to GTM, so between that and Cipher they should be able to check for any issues.

If it is intermittent then it may not show up while they are testing it though
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
6MT350Z

Originally Posted by rps13drift
Its most likely a problem with your maf. 240sx's and other nissans usualy experience those symthoms you described when there is a problem with you mass airflow sensor
I was thinking the same thing. My S14 had this issue before as did a friends S13. Same symptoms and same issue - MAF.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
JZK

if it happens again, replace both throttle body sensors. That's what it sounds like to me
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
youngh

happened to me just a few minutes ago lol. came off the freeway and was stopped at a red light right turn on a hill. stalled when i saw no cars, immediately turned on the engine and went without waiting more than 1 second. rpms got stuck at 2200~ and wouldnt go any higher. i stopped on the side and decided to figure out what it might be, but just tried turning off the engine and restarting it again. turned it off for like 10 seconds and turned it back on and it was fine. ??!?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:13 AM
staticfive05

good thing nothing bad happened. maybe Nissan is satellite controlling the cars so they can have them totaled so there, are more on the street and are worth more?!?!?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
IvoryPearl07g

either throttle position sensor in a throttle body, or the mass air flow sensor.

same limp mode came up in my 02 sentra specv. 2400rpm limit. slow to rev, and very slow to accelerate. i had 2 mafs and 2 throttle position sensors go out during the time i had the car.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
6MT350Z

I just thought about something that I hadn't thought about prior to my first post in this thread. My g/f's '05 G Coupe had the whole throttle body and related components replaced on her car because of a similar issue. I remember the car being fine then we shut it off and came back out to the car 15-20 mins later and then this happened. Stopped again 5 mins later, came back out another 15-20 mins later and it was fine except for the check engine light. Dealer ran a diagnostics check on it and then replaced those parts.