Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Does anybody have the Injen short ram installed on their HR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
nismo333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody have the Injen short ram installed on their HR?

http://www.injen.com/Galleries/Produ..._1988_6_03.jpg

looks pretty cool and simple to install. i need new air filters and for a couple hundy more i can get these. what you think?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you get those if Injen has upgraded that design and relocated the filters near the air dams..

you must really suck at reading threads..
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
nismo333

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
why would you get those if Injen has upgraded that design and relocated the filters near the air dams..

you must really suck at reading threads..
because i live in very wet conditions and had problems with CAIs on my other cars. id prefer a short ram like i always do. got it kiddo?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
whoopazz1

Man Gsingh350Z I'v seen you post some interesting stuff lately about bashing other for not knowing stuff or not aggreeing with them, but that when it comes down to you wanting info, you always want everyone to help you out...

Not trying to start sh*t, but think before you post.

To OP I think they would give you some heatsoak, I had the pop chargers when they first came out and they weren't the greatest in the summer...

just my 2 c

But if you decide to get them, let us know how they work out and post up a review
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
theKoosh

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
? looking at injen's website, it seems that the dual-short ram setup he posted is the ONLY intake that injen now offers for the HR?

anyway, at $480 that is a ridiculous price for just an intake/heatshield setup. that's almost as much as the technosquare reflash, have you considered that? on that note, the technosquare guys also claimed that bolt-ons really didnt make any substantial gains on the HR.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Boba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theKoosh
? looking at injen's website, it seems that the dual-short ram setup he posted is the ONLY intake that injen now offers for the HR?

anyway, at $480 that is a ridiculous price for just an intake/heatshield setup. that's almost as much as the technosquare reflash, have you considered that? on that note, the technosquare guys also claimed that bolt-ons really didnt make any substantial gains on the HR.
I think the $480 is for the Injen dual CAI, not the short-ram.
IMO I don't think it's worth it to get short ram. Waste of time to install, and I don't even think you will gain HP if any very minimal. You can consider a hydroshield if you want to get the CAI though. I'm not sure how much it's going to help in blocking water though.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
kramykram

look into the cai from injen, its pretty well protected from water. i have dealt with some bad rain and hitting some big puddles with no problems yet.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM
jumisu

Originally Posted by nismo333
because i live in very wet conditions and had problems with CAIs on my other cars. id prefer a short ram like i always do. got it kiddo?
it seems like the filters are high up enough to avoid that problem on the CAI. what about a bypass valve?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theKoosh
Funny because I doubt that A.H would have made 318whp with just a reflash. Bolt on's due increase power, but make even more when tuned. And the tuner at Technosquare said that the Injen CAI are the only ones that he has seen to actually increase power.

OP, the Injen CAI's sit up high in the bumper. If you have the stock bumper you would have to go through a big puddle to wet those filters. I have these intakes with the amuse bumper and my filters now hang down the in opening about half a inch. Ive driven through rain with them like that and everything if fine. Although I am going to fab up something to cover them up a bit just in case...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
A.H

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
Funny because I doubt that A.H would have made 318whp with just a reflash. Bolt on's due increase power, but make even more when tuned. And the tuner at Technosquare said that the Injen CAI are the only ones that he has seen to actually increase power.

OP, the Injen CAI's sit up high in the bumper. If you have the stock bumper you would have to go through a big puddle to wet those filters. I have these intakes with the amuse bumper and my filters now hang down the in opening about half a inch. Ive driven through rain with them like that and everything if fine. Although I am going to fab up something to cover them up a bit just in case...
+1, there was a point where Tadashi only recommended stock intakes until I showed him my Injen's and after my day of tuning he concluded taht it was teh only aftermarket intake he recommended. The most power anyone has made on stock intakes on his exact dyno(although on diffenret days and temperatures) is Profink @ 302whp with exahust/hfc and refalsh/tune. If we compare him to Infinite who has the same mods +the injen intakes, he made 311whp on the same dyno but with an auto vs Profink's 6speed. And a couple independent dynos have showed 10whp gains and the diffenrence between Infinite and Profink is almost 10 which backs up previous dynos. Now I understand these dynos including mine were on diffeerent days but the moral of the story is that if you want the most HP NA these Injen intakes are superior to Stock Intakes. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. From the independent dynos i've seen the Injen may only gain power up top but the Stock intakes do not outperform it anywhere else in the powerband.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the actual CAI's, or don't do it at all.....
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
jimpactmfsc

dont worry about your wet conditions, i was worried about the same thing until A.H informed me of the redesign and also the soak shields that are available
Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Smackin

+1 I own the Injen CAI on my DD... No problems at all, and I made great gains on the dyno like the others. 290hp with CAI/HFC/Nismo exhaust
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by Smackin
+1 I own the Injen CAI on my DD... No problems at all, and I made great gains on the dyno like the others. 290hp with CAI/HFC/Nismo exhaust
Awsome numbers With a tune you should be close to 310whp!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Boba

Ok just an update:

My co-worker drove my car the other day and asked me, "Ok what other mods did you add since the last time I drove it?!?!?!" So with the addition of Nismo Exhaust and Injen CAI, he could really feel the car pull at high-end. Even when I was in the passenger seat, I could feel a sudden pull/gain of power at high end.

But there is one problem that I found with the Injen CAI, maybe there are others experiencing the same problem as well. When you drive the car and it hasn't fully warmed up yet, it will sort of stutter when you step on gas, even if you are stepping on it consistently. Once it's warmed up, it is as smooth as it can get.

Just my lil updated 0.02

edit: Being in the driver and passenger seat is two totally different thing. You aren't going to notice much about the gain in the driver seat. Try having someone drive your car while you sit in the passenger seat. You will be amazed
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
anyjuan

Originally Posted by Boba
Ok just an update:

But there is one problem that I found with the Injen CAI, maybe there are others experiencing the same problem as well. When you drive the car and it hasn't fully warmed up yet, it will sort of stutter when you step on gas, even if you are stepping on it consistently. Once it's warmed up, it is as smooth as it can get.

Even if you wait until the RPMs have settled to under 1k after cold start?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Boba

Originally Posted by anyjuan
Even if you wait until the RPMs have settled to under 1k after cold start?
Yes although I'm not 100% sure if the CAI is the culprit at fault. Basically what happens is I let off the clutch and gas it at about 5% (just leaving my foot dead-stable on the gas pedal) and the car stutters by itself and then gives me a little push. I notice this more in cold weather vs. warm weather. Maybe you can give it an experiment and tell me your results... Then we can see if CAI is at fault.

PS: I did clean the filters at 10k which is well below the recommended mileage interval.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Bo's350Z

Doesn't seem like anybody has them, but I will try them since they are using the
"Air Intake Horns" which is a new design they're trying out with their system. I will combine the injen intake with another related mod in ?? I plan to get and see how well it works together. Hopefully, I can post up some positive results later.