Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

gauging interest in a slave kit for the hr

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauging interest in a slave kit for the hr

Ok guys now that I am out of work, and plenty of time on my hands. I am looking into making the bracket needed for the slave swap on the hr tranny and making the kit to sell.

How many of you would be interested in said kit?? I have been looking at a few different ways to do this and I will not sell the kit without first testing on my own vehicle and maybe a couple others if anyone is local to me here in mississippi.

I just want to know before I sink the last of my bank account into this venture how many of you would purchase. It will be a lot less than the ats one of course as you will be able to use your own flywheel and clutch. anyone please let me know.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 AM
kramykram

wow 212 views and not a single reply
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 AM
red350track

i would
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if this product came out and worked flawlessly, it'd be a toss up between this and the new slave cuztompartz is coming out with. Of course the main advantage with the kit you're thinking of making is the trans wouldn't need to be removed in the event the slave went out. I would say the price would need to be competitive with cuztompartz.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 AM
matthew122

Originally Posted by musubi
Honestly, if this product came out and worked flawlessly, it'd be a toss up between this and the new slave cuztompartz is coming out with. Of course the main advantage with the kit you're thinking of making is the trans wouldn't need to be removed in the event the slave went out. I would say the price would need to be competitive with cuztompartz.
Exactly what he just said.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
red350track

yea i need a clutch bad and im waiting on custompartz for a southbend because i have had a few of their clutches and they worked flawlessly. I just dunno how much longer they are doing with their testing..
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by musubi

Its working flawlessly in my car that was putting down 440-450whp.

Both of the option would require the remove of the tranny to change the the slave.

kramykram: I will try to get you pics of the bracket in my car as soon as my engine arrives and take to the shop in couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
musubi

Originally Posted by midz350
Its working flawlessly in my car that was putting down 440-450whp.

Both of the option would require the remove of the tranny to change the the slave.

kramykram: I will try to get you pics of the bracket in my car as soon as my engine arrives and take to the shop in couple of weeks.
When I mentioned working flawlessly, it was intended for kramykram's kit, specifically....unless that is what you have?

If I'm understanding the kit correctly, doesn't it place the slave outside the trans? If so, is it that the slave would be that inaccessible such that the trans would need to be removed anyways? If this is the case, I don't see too much benefit here.

Of course, I'm with the understanding that the trans would need to be removed to install the kit.

Last edited by musubi; 07-19-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry I was thinking about the Release Bearing.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
kramykram

pictures couldn't hurt i have a pretty good idea, i have to get some crafting wood to make the bracket. I to am waiting for customzparts to make a fix for this. But old style has not failed anyone yet. Not saying customzparts won't make a superior product but its a crap design from the factory that anyone who sells a kit after seeing all the complaints should of invested in making a better bearing. ill have my bracket made along with another and when installed in my car will do another one. before i decided to do anything else.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the throw out bearing is also a weak part in the 07-08. That would be a good upgrade. BTW i did not read the entire thread
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM
kramykram

lol this will bypass the new style bearing and put the old style back in.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
musubi

kramykram, hope the best for you in making the kit. I'm no where near inclined enough to try and make something like this. If you go through with it, post up some progress pics and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

More power to you!
An external slave is not that hard to design.
It will probably be needed for very heavy clutch kits to hold a lot of power.

So far I have my adapted slave in DJstyles car and is holding up great with over 2900 miles on it so far, Unfortunately he has a spec twin so I don't know yet if it will release all the way with a single diaphragm style clutch and have not had time to put it in a local car yet to test. A single will normally require a longer throw to release the clutch fully than a twin. The slave I am using is a little bit bigger area than the stock slave to hold the higher pressures needed for the aftermarket kits.

The better news is the Southbend HR kits I have been using lately are holding up great with the stock slave and the ZSpeedperformance bearing sleeve. We reduced the bearing load on the kits to better work with the stock slave and have over 9k miles on the longest going one so far with no failure.

The new kits TQ ratings to work with the stock slave are as follows, Just haven't had time to update the site yet....

Stage 1 Organic 360tq
Stage 2 kevlar 390tq
Stage 3 OFE 420tq
Stage 4 OFE 460tq
Stage 5 FE 480tq
Stage 4 6 Puck Ceramic 535tq (these actually drive very nice with the new puck designs they are using)

One of these should work for just about everybody but I am sure there will be a need for a higher TQ clutch at some point.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 AM
kramykram

that is good news. thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 AM
red350track

Damn did they lower the trq ratings?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by red350track
Damn did they lower the trq ratings?
These kits are for the HR with the lighter pressure plate to work with the stock slave. The other kits are still available with higher TQ ratings.
Its all in how the pressure plate is built that dictates the TQ ratings.
They have been doing some trick stuff to try and get the bearing load close to the same as the stock HR pressure plate while still keeping a decent clamp load.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM
red350track

Damn. When I'm going WOT in first to second, it grinds, and clunks, and I have to shove it in gear. I'm wondering if my clutch it on its way out. Or if its the syncros. Also it releases like 1 inch from the very top of the pedal movement.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
kramykram

Originally Posted by red350track
Damn. When I'm going WOT in first to second, it grinds, and clunks, and I have to shove it in gear. I'm wondering if my clutch it on its way out. Or if its the syncros. Also it releases like 1 inch from the very top of the pedal movement.
i would try to adjust the pedal first on the floor board.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:39 AM
JR350z08

Guys i say just wait! CuztompartZ has a working all metal slave! I'm (djjstyles) i pop 2 of the stock style slaves with in 800 miles with my spec twin clutch. with the new all metal slave im hitting just over 3,000 miles, with no major problem!.. just had to adjust my pedal a lil bit. I drive my Z very hard! I would say that on saturday nights it gets its runs in... Hopefully soon i will change out the spec twin for a much better clutch like the ones CuztompartZ sales. I will try to answer any question about the all metal slave such as pedal feel and engagement only. the new slave works! I feel this is a big fix for us HR and 3.7 guys.

Quick Reply: gauging interest in a slave kit for the hr