Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

08 clutch pedal slow return

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem last year and its starting to do it again this year. Last year I took it to the dealership thinking it was the master slave cylinder..it wasn't. It was the tube on top of the transmission that holds the fluid. It was pinched. In all I got new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, throwout bearing. All at free charge. Only reason its acting up now is the fluid isn't moving at a faster rate due to the cold. Take it to the dealership and they will either tell you what I said or fix everything for free. As mentioned earlier DO NOT DRIVE IT HARD. You will kill your clutch.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle22
I had this problem last year and its starting to do it again this year. Last year I took it to the dealership thinking it was the master slave cylinder..it wasn't. It was the tube on top of the transmission that holds the fluid. It was pinched. In all I got new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, throwout bearing. All at free charge. Only reason its acting up now is the fluid isn't moving at a faster rate due to the cold. Take it to the dealership and they will either tell you what I said or fix everything for free. As mentioned earlier DO NOT DRIVE IT HARD. You will kill your clutch.
Yea, my clutch is really suffering now. Its consistently in the 20s here and its getting worse. I can't shift minutely fast or my clutch will drag and if I drive it like I do in the summer, forget about it. Luckily I can hold myself back and I've been going easy on her but I don't think I can deal with this for the rest of the winter. I'm about to call the dealership tomorrow and see what's up. I'm not getting my hopes up cus my buddy has tried to get stuff taken care of under warranty at this place and they give him such a hard time. I hope they don't turn me away cus of my mods. Oh, and how did you get all that extra stuff free of charge? Usually they just fix the problem and that's it. When I had my Si and the clutch master cylinder went out and screwed up my clutch, they only took care of the master cylinder, no clutch or anything.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 01-13-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Idk if its just the dealer that was nice and mod friendly but I took my car there several times untill they finally found the problem. They originally said that I had to pay for the flywheel and clutch since it was a "worn item" and I said okay but later they got everything "Approved" from upper managment for them to pay for it all. Go to the dealership and tell them what's wrong. Also tell them to check the fluid lines on top of the transmission. My mechanic told me that he never had seen this before and with the description your going to tell the mechanic they will assume its slave cylinder. Which isn't a bad diagnosis bc 99.9% that's the problem. Hope it all gets fixed for you.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM
08sleeperz

Okay everyone, just wanted to give a little update. I finally went to the stealership and guess what, they didn't see a problem. They said its probably slow because of the cold weather and that it hasn't been this cold in Jersey for 20 years. Really??? It was this cold last year when I had my Si and I never had clutch pedal issues. Also, I want to add that the service guy tried to charge me $50 just to look at the car because the clutch isn't a warranty item. Number 1, its not a problem with the clutch itself and number 2 the car only has 15k on it so if the clutch is screwed up I'm pretty sure that's considered premature wear and warrants replacement. Anyway, I talked my way out of the "diagnostic fee" and walked out the same way I went in. Overall, I'm a bit dissapointed with the service I got. There is obviously some issue (in my opinion)...but I'll just wait til it warms up and see if I still have the issue. If I do, I'll pursue this issue further. Thanks for all the input and I hope this isn't a chronic issue.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
ace32x

sounds like the slave to me
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by ace32x
sounds like the slave to me
Exactly. I def think there is an underlying problem but apparently "2 master techs" couldn't find it. Maybe I should consider a career change cus apparently I can notice imperfections better than a trained technician lol. I would like to get a second opinion from another dealership but the next closest one is 40min away. Don't have the time to do that right now, but if I find time I might take a ride. As of this moment I hate nissan customer service.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
08sleeperz

Got another update for this issue. For the past couple days its been in the mid 40s-low 50s and the clutch is feeling better. However, today I ran it hard a bit and it was about 45 out. I was able to take it to redline in first with no problems and when I shifted into second the tires chirped a little and I stayed on the power and everything seemed good, however when I redlined second and shifted to 3rd I got no tire spin but the clutch drug like a MF for about a second (my foot was off the clutch and my right foot was on the gas) and then it finally gripped. Needless to say I smelled clutch right after that. Why is this happening? It shifted fine into second and like I said even broke the tires loose with no hesitation or clutch dragging. The feel of the clutch has gone almost back to normal now but this really puzzles me. I went to the dealer about a month ago and they said everythings normal but they gave me a hard time because they said the clutch isn't under warranty. I didn't think it was the clutch then and I still don't think it is but I know for sure my clutch will be gone in no time if this nonsense continues. I really don't know what to do. My car only has 16k on it and the dealer is giving me a hard time about this. I really need to get this taken care of as I track my car and don't want to add more wear to the clutch then is needed. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to tell my story from today.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to another dealership. i know the frustration, been there done that.

they changed my csc recently and the clutch is feeling alot better now. hopefully it stay's that way until i have the extra $ to fix it right.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
08sleeperz

Yea, when I have some time I'll try to take it to the other dealerships. It really sucks that I'm having this problem because in all other respects, the car is perfect (knock on wood). I might go back to the same dealership once more and see what they say and if nothing gets done I'll look into the other one. Also what are you refering to when you say "fix it right"? I would like to fix it right the first time.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 02-17-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM
08sleeperz

Hello again. I just got back from the second dealership and guess what, they said nothing is wrong. I even explained every instance I've had problems to the tech while on our 10min drive and he basically said I'm beating on the car and its functioning how it should. What do I have to do to get my point across? I told them its worse in the cold and I will bring it back when its a colder day and show them yet again. Also, before I left there was a 370 in the showroom that I checked out. When I tried the clutch, it rebounded almost quicker than I could remove my foot. That's how my pedal felt when I first got it. I will bring that to their attention when I go in again but they'll probably say it a different car and won't think anything of it. This is really becoming a PIA and I need it fixed asap. One thing I do miss about my honda is the customer service. I never had a problem getting work done with no questions asked. I guess I'll have to wait this one out.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ hey alex, Im pretty sure its def the slave cylinder. Your last post describes exactly what happens to STi's when the clutch fork return spring breaks or falls off not allowing the slave to fully return to the rest position. Being clutch related im sure Nissan isnt going to do anything for you. But there are some companies that make a upgraded slave conversion that seems to work well.

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Hea...ZSPHDSLAVE.htm

hopefully it gets warm and you can get some more miles out of the factory clutch and then maybe do that slave and a clutch at the same time. How is the car running BTW??
Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 PM
08sleeperz

Hey Vince, thanks for posting. I was actually going to contact you and get your input on the situation. It seems like the dealer isn't going to do anything becaue its closely associated with the clutch which isn't covered under warranty. But, I'll try a couple more times and see if I can get a new slave for the spring/summer. I thought about simply ordering the slave that you mentioned and installing it with an upgraded clutch but I'll see what Nissan does for me first. If not, I'll drop the tranny and throw the new stuff in. As for the car, its running awesome. It loved the warmer weather we had the passed few days and I spent a lot of time driving. Your tune is top notch and I've had zero problems! I've been thinking about getting the Stillen CAIs and comin back to see if I can break 300whp, but I doubt it. I'm just looking for a used set right now so I don't loose too much money if they don't give me much. Thanks again for the post!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM
nismonian

sorry for the late response. so the second dealership said the cars fine? thats ridiculous!
i bet it's the slave aswell. i would keep trying other dealerships until someone fixes it or call nissan usa and see if they can do something for you ( doubt it ) but I would still try.

as in "fix it right" vince already posted the link. GL. and keep us updated.

btw, a buddy got his whole tranny replaced with a new clutch and slave under warranty and his car had 50k on it. so it's deff the dealership you deal with that are being fuking clowns.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
08sleeperz

I figured that was the fix u were talking about. If I can't get a dealership to fix it or if it goes out again I'll prob just order up one of them. As for the dealerships, they are being clowns. The tech today even said he isn't aware of the slave problem and to not believe what I hear on the net. So a whole forum of z owners are lying about having problems and some getting it fixed? For some reason the 2 dealerships I've went to so far are very hard to work with but I think I got through to this one a bit today. Even driving to work this eveing my clutch was worse (colder out). Its supposed to be 35 on tuesday so I'll take it in again when its worse so they can really tell what's going on. I will keep updating this thread till I get a fix (or not). Thanks for all the help/input so far.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this same issue on my Kia Sportage. I don't drive my Z in the winter, so I don't know if it does it, but my Kia does this every winter, but only when its really cold out. Typically in the single digits or close to that. Even after driving on the highway for over an hour. It doesn't seem to matter how long I've been driving. It is just based on ambient temperature. It has done it the past three winters that I have owned it. I have always just chaulked it up to the clutch fluid getting congealed or whatever. Everything goes away once it warms up again. I always thought of maybe trying some different fluid that may be rated for colder weather (if that exists), but it doesn't really bother me that much; that and it doesn't get that cold here very often.

Just throwin' in my experience to help cushion the blow.

Good Luck

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 02-23-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM
08sleeperz

Thanks for your input. It is worse when it's really cold but last week it was in the 60s and it was still slow. It doesn't bother me too much in the winter as I don't really push my car because of the weather/snow tires but in the spring I want to get back to the track and this problem wont be acceptable. I'm about to contact dealership #3 and see what they have to say (gonna call and try to speak with a tech before I drive 40min). Maybe 3rd times a charm.

Update: Just spoke with the 3rd dealership and they were a little more understanding but they still denied any knowledge of the problem. They also said again that anything on a forum is invalid. I find this hard to believe since people are experiencing the problem and getting it fixed under warranty. I don't see why people would make that stuff up, but it is what it is. I'm really starting to pull my hair out over this. They want me to bring it in tomorrow and leave it overnight and if they can't find a problem, I will be charged a diagnostic fee. I'm really about to drop the tranny and install the HD CSC and call it a day. Even if I get it replaced it seems like it will eventually go out again.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 02-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is in the 60s and still doing it that's pretty bad. Like I said, mine only does it when it dips into the single digits. I would try flushing the fluid out completely, adding new and re-bleeding. Maybe add an SS clutch line while your at it. You can also pick up a slave and master for not more than a couple hundred bucks. May as well change out all that and if that's not it then it's something with the clutch, clutch fork, pivot ball or throwout bearing.

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 02-23-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
08sleeperz

Ok, just got back from Nissan...AGAIN. This time I took a ride with the shop formen and let him drive it. He was able to replicate the problem and got the clutch to slip on high rev shifts, but, his diagnosis was a dying clutch. He said that the clutch doesn't engage til the pedal is almost halfway released and the slipping at high rpms is from the pressure plate wearing out. Does this make sens? Its doesn't to me. He said he's lucky if I have another 10k left on it. I also told him that the pedal gets really stiff when its super cold out and he couldn't give me an explanation for this. However, he said if the CSC does need to be replaced that it would be covered under the 5yr/56000 powertrain warranty which was good to hear. So, he said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse to come in again. I still don't think its my clutch because when its engaged it holds strong and the only issue I have is when I shift fast when its cold. Maybe I'll bleed the lines and see if that helps. I still think its the CSC but obviously he doesnt. He also said the z doesn't have the best clutch pedal setup since its an econmical sports car. He said they use the same pedal setup as they do in their other cars so he said its not uncommon for your foot to be faster than the pedal. I don't know about that though because when I checked out the 370, that pedal returned as fast, if not faster than it took me to bring my foot up. I guess I'm fighting a loosing battle.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by 08sleeperz
Ok, just got back from Nissan...AGAIN. This time I took a ride with the shop formen and let him drive it. He was able to replicate the problem and got the clutch to slip on high rev shifts, but, his diagnosis was a dying clutch. He said that the clutch doesn't engage til the pedal is almost halfway released and the slipping at high rpms is from the pressure plate wearing out. Does this make sens? Its doesn't to me. He said he's lucky if I have another 10k left on it. I also told him that the pedal gets really stiff when its super cold out and he couldn't give me an explanation for this. However, he said if the CSC does need to be replaced that it would be covered under the 5yr/56000 powertrain warranty which was good to hear. So, he said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse to come in again. I still don't think its my clutch because when its engaged it holds strong and the only issue I have is when I shift fast when its cold. Maybe I'll bleed the lines and see if that helps. I still think its the CSC but obviously he doesnt. He also said the z doesn't have the best clutch pedal setup since its an econmical sports car. He said they use the same pedal setup as they do in their other cars so he said its not uncommon for your foot to be faster than the pedal. I don't know about that though because when I checked out the 370, that pedal returned as fast, if not faster than it took me to bring my foot up. I guess I'm fighting a loosing battle.
when mine was working properly it returned very fast i dont know what that tech is smoking sounds like hes dicking u around, if its slipping at high rpm it might be your pressure plate aswell but the clutch not returning or sticking on the floor is def the csc or air in your system
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
08sleeperz

I really don't see how my clutch can be going back. It works perfectly except for the high rpm shifts but that's only cus of the delay with the pedal. I even tried going about 15mph, shifting into 4th, reving to about 4 grand and sropping the clutch and there is no drag, just immediate grip. And I don't see how the pressure plate could be bad with only 17k. And all of that still doesn't explain the problems I have in the cold. Think it would be worth my time and effort to talk to corporate about the issue?

Quick Reply: 08 clutch pedal slow return