Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

08 clutch pedal slow return

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clutch Nd pressure plate went out at 16k miles aswell as my 3rd gear synchro but I abused it pretty hard. Just depends how u drive it
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
08sleeperz

I don't see how my pressure plate and clutch could be goin out already unless the previous owner beat it up in the 10k miles he had it. I drive my car daily and usually shift below 3g and was only at the strip once and made about 4 passes launching at 2g. I'm on the verge of dropping my tranny and replacing the slave myself and seeing if that's the problem. And if it is I'm going to give nissan a piece of my pissed off mind. Does anyone have the part number for the slave?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not have to remove the tranny to replace the slave. It mounts on the outside of the bell housing. I have replaced mine before. It's fairly simple. I think this is the part number you are looking for 30620-Z33004.

Also, my clutch practically disintegrated at the track last year. Half the disc just shredded and got wedged into the pressure place and half the teeth were pushed back and not making contact with the throwout bearing. I still had clutch pressure and could drive the car. It smelled like hell and burnt clutch, but still driveable. I didn't drive anywhere other than onto the trailor and into the pit area. If your pressure plate is bad, then that thing has been abused to no end and the teeth have to be worn to hell.

Check out my pic. That half of the disc just fell out when I pulled the clutch assembly out and the other half was in shredded little fibers everywhere inside the pressure plate bell housing and around the flywheel. If my car can drive with being that bad, then you're cltuch has to be demolished. I strongly believe it is not the clutch though. It's fluid, master or slave. Perhaps the throwout bearing is not lubed properly or something.
Attached Thumbnails 08 clutch pedal slow return-100_2336.jpg  

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 02-24-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
08sleeperz

Thanks for your input. I highly doubt its my clutch as everything is fine unless I shift fast and only then its because the pedal is slow to return. I also believe the 03-06 slaves are external but the 07/08 slaves are internal. I'd rather drop the tranny anyway to investigate this clutch "issue". However, I believe my clutch to be fine. I drive about 300 miles a week and never had an issue unless I take it to the upper rpms and shift fast.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 AM
08sleeperz

Ok guys, I'm tired of arguing with nissan and hearing their crap. I'm ordering the slave parts tomorrow and gonna drop the tranny next weekend and put a new slave in and inspect the clutch. If a new slave fixes my issues nissan is gonna get an ear full from me. I doubt my clutch is worn but if it is I was thinkin about puttin a southbend in. I'll keep updated.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
You do not have to remove the tranny to replace the slave. It mounts on the outside of the bell housing. I have replaced mine before. It's fairly simple. I think this is the part number you are looking for 30620-Z33004.

Also, my clutch practically disintegrated at the track last year. Half the disc just shredded and got wedged into the pressure place and half the teeth were pushed back and not making contact with the throwout bearing. I still had clutch pressure and could drive the car. It smelled like hell and burnt clutch, but still driveable. I didn't drive anywhere other than onto the trailor and into the pit area. If your pressure plate is bad, then that thing has been abused to no end and the teeth have to be worn to hell.

Check out my pic. That half of the disc just fell out when I pulled the clutch assembly out and the other half was in shredded little fibers everywhere inside the pressure plate bell housing and around the flywheel. If my car can drive with being that bad, then you're cltuch has to be demolished. I strongly believe it is not the clutch though. It's fluid, master or slave. Perhaps the throwout bearing is not lubed properly or something.

The newer 350's 370's have a internal slave and the trans does have to come out to change it.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
The newer 350's 370's have a internal slave and the trans does have to come out to change it.
Are you able to confirm if the 350HR and the 370 use the same CSC? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty much everything is the same from 07-11

Slave has been revised a few times but is still junk, It is the same part number from 07-11

The seal cannot take the added pressure of the heavier pressure plates, the design is horrible, has no way to dissipate heat ect.

No matter what you do to the stock slave it is not going to last long with a aftermarket clutch.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
08sleeperz

Ok, thanks. I'm running a stock clutch/slave and am having this problem. I'm going to pursue Nissan to fix this issue now but if it goes out again (which is pretty much inevitable); your HD CSC will be on order!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
08sleeperz

Ok guys. Here's another update. Spoke with corporate yesterday and they told me to get a diagnosis done and if I am charged they will refund me. So I took the car to nissan this morning and told them to keep the car overnight and test it in the morning since it is worst in the cold weather. However they are still telling me my clutch is bad. This may be true but I also want the slave looked at. Nd if my clutch is in fact bad I feel I deserve a new one which is what I told corporate. The car only has 17k on it with the bumper to bumper warranty still in effect and the failing CSC def took life off the clutch. I plan to be at nissan bright and early tomorrow when they test my car so I can not only make sure they in fact test it but to also see the look on their face when they realize something is in fact wrong. I'll keep updated thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Hey Alex, I know a lot of this now is all about principal at this point... but what ya gonna do when they give ya a new clutch and an "updated" slave cylinder and it still does it next winter...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
08sleeperz

Right now it is about principle like u said but I want to be certain that I have a reliable clutch (didn't think I had a clutch issue till they started blaming this problem on it) and a slave that will atleast get me through the summer. I still think my clutch is fine but if they think it is so worn then they should replace it. My car only has 17k on it and I rarely drive it hard. The main things I want right now is for them to inspect/replace my slave cylinder because they are claiming my problem has nothing to do with the slave but is rather a worn pressure plate. I know it will fail again and prob give me problems next winter but I'll prob be able to enjoy the car for the summer and if need be, I'll put the HD CSC in that is available. Basically I just feel that they should be responsible for this issue as it stands and if my clutch is worn it was def caused/accelerated by the failing slave cylinder. I drive my car daily and usually stay under 3k rpms but when I want it to perform it should hold up to the task, otherwise why have a z?
But on that note, I'm about to pick up a used set of stillen intakes and I wanna dyno them and see what, if anything, they do for my power. Are u guys getting busy with dyno tunes yet? I want to test these before the "spring" and decide if I wanna keep em or not. Thanks for the input Vince and sorry for the rant. Hope to be dealing with you again soon.

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 03-01-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
08sleeperz

Ok guys, I finally made some headway and have some good news to report. I left the car overnight yesterday so they could test it when it was cold in the morning (its at its worse in the cold). So, this morning, I decided to take a ride and see what they had to say. I got there at 8 and went for a ride with the service manager and he was able to replicate the problem to a great extent. I left with a handshake and he told me he would call me later in the morning after he contacted his rep. Come 3pm I still haven't hear from him so I gave him a call. He said the rep let him decide what to do and he is going to give me a new clutch! The shop formen seems to think that's what my problem is but I still have a feeling my slave is bad. I don't know if they will replace the slave while their in there but at least I'm getting a new clutch out of the deal. Can't complain about that. Hopefully once this is done, my car will be back to normal, but if I still have the issue, I'll push for a new CSC.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
nismonian

great news man! i knew they would fix it for you.

they should replace the slave as it's necessary when you change the clutch.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by nismonian
great news man! i knew they would fix it for you.

they should replace the slave as it's necessary when you change the clutch.
That's what I thought and that's what it says in the FSM. I'll have to wait and see. It would be in their best intrest to replace it all at once, cus I'll go back if it isn't perfect . Thanks to everyone for all the help and input. I'll let everyone know how it goes on Friday and if the problem is solved. Moral to this story: Know what you're talking about and be persistent.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
ace32x

car went in today for the zspeed heavyduty csc will post up results tom
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
08sleeperz

Yes, please do. That is on my list for the next time my OEM fails.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
08sleeperz

Alright, so I got the car back about 2hrs ago. They did the work pretty quick (dropped it off at 11 and they called me at 1). Anyway, I got the invoice and they infact replaced both the clutch and the slave. And let me tell you, it drives like a dream again! Its nice to have my lady nice and tight . The shifts are hard and smooth and the pedal feels amazing. I'm so glad that I finally got it fixed. Hopefully the goodness lasts the summer before the slave fails again. Thanks to everyone for all the input and help.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
nismonian

great news man! they never changed my clutch, just the slave but as long as mine doesnt stick the floor again im happy.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
ace32x

got my car back today as well with the zspeed csc, its amazing clutch feels 100% better and shifts amazingly smooth feels 100x better than when it was working properly when i bought it new! id def suggest getting this!

Quick Reply: 08 clutch pedal slow return