Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

aiming for 300whp+

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Nismo1534

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lakeside, don't forget the GTM supercharger option (for us ballers on budgets)! If you can install it yourself, 6K is all it takes for 500BHP.

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=258&page=1

Last edited by Nismo1534; 05-12-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 AM
AadosX

Originally Posted by buddydannyy
So...i've been researching yet i feel like i need more information. there are so many threads with debates about intakes/exhaust etc blablabla and they all seem kinda vague so i'm makin this thread so hopefully some of you guys can help!

i made 282.74whp/246.81wtq on the dyno jet a couple months ago at sr motorcars located in gardena,ca

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5210646_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rMiJ2LJZ26w

my current performance mods are :
tanabe hyper medalion spec
tanabe y pipe
fast intentions test pipes

i'm debating right know if i should go for a 3" single exit (aam or jic)
i know the 4.08 final drive is really the biggest bang for the buck from what i hear..so im preparing for that.
i was planning on getting the stillen gen 3 ultra longtube intakes next..but would it be necessary? i hear alot of people saying go for the injens/k&n drop-ins/ or even just keep it stock. ive read somewhere a few people gaining 14+ with the stillens / 8+ with the injens
n then finish it off with the osiris tune

balblabla there is so much **** n debates for the hr..makes it so complicating somtimes!

what would be your recommendations as far as basic boltons?

sorry if this seems kinda noob. i am still learning! and would love to learn more!

thanks !!
Sounds like you've done your research. Good job. Your results seem in line with mine so far.. making 300 whp on a Dynojet isn't easy.. but maybe possible. Now all that's left is to use your brain and try to filter through the BS and make a decision! GL! Personally I would grab the long tube intakes (I prefer Injens for fit/finish, but they make same power as Stillens), get a tune and call it a day.

Last edited by AadosX; 05-13-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
AadosX

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Cam's are a costly install. The installer has to remove the engine to do so!
Wait, seriously? I haven't researched cams at all and was thinking it'd be kind of cool assuming they're easy to install and considering I will be tuning soon anyways. But wow.. nevermind! lol

Originally Posted by Lakeside
I have always had the money to boost my Nismo. For me, sure it was good experience going the NA route. I also wanted to hold onto my Warranty just incase. It's easy enough to remove bolt-ons. I don't regret it, if I TT my car I have the true dual exhaust & UpRev software already. If I SC my car, I have the exhaust, headers and tuning software.

I use to be so set on finishing my car & going TT but priorities change. Lately it's on the back burner. It will eventually happen, when who knows! Whenever I get around to it. I am sure many members here share my view.

It's still alot cheaper to do a full bolt-on setup with tune then to TT a car with supporting mods! I figure that build to be around 12K. In this economy, I would rather keep those funds in savings.

Bolt-on NA builds are cheap in comparison to FI
Amen! I am SO tired of reading the whole "skip N/A bolt-ons and just go for FI if you want any real hp/$ difference blah blah." You can make near 40 whp difference on a Z for under 2 grand if you shop around.. that **** is legit! And how can you even compare that 2 grand to the 7, 8, 10 grand it costs to TT!!?? And that's without the supporting mods needed for FI. FI costs way more than people think on Z's, and even more for HR's!

I like this guy ^^

Last edited by AadosX; 05-13-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^^

plus it's a greater achievement medal!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Lakeside

If you plan to stay NA for awhile like me, GEARS is where its at!!!..
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM
AadosX

Yes it's too bad they affect hwy mpg's though. =/ I like my 3.7's and would like some 4.08's but I am just on the fence about them.. I'm not so sure I am that hardcore anymore haha.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Lakeside

3.7 are a waste of time. Possibly 3.9's but the 4.08's according to my trip computer I have only lost 1 mpg or less. My trip computer says 18.5 mpg average. I don't daily drive my Z, so when I take it out I don't beat the hell out of it and I don't exactly baby it either.

It's a 6 spd! You can offset the gears alittle. If it was a 5 spd you would notice a larger loss in mileage.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
AadosX

Yeah I see no reason 4.08's would affect mpg around town.. you can always just shift sooner and cruise in a higher gear. On the interstate is where you would notice a difference.. granted it might only be 2-3 mpg.

I only have the 3.7 because they cost me $250.. definitely worth that in my book for the tiny added oomph. 8)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
buddydannyy

Fock!!!!! I don't know what to do next...do you guys think the 4.08 gears would be a good idea if I'm doing 70miles roundtrip everyday cuz of work?

Aadosx I've seen your threads n youtube clips. Freakin awesome!!! Same color and same wheels
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Moonlightthecat

Wow. Nismo great thread. And I believe the gen3 is available for the 350 as well...I was about to buy it at one point.

Moonlight, how are the injens for you? Notice any gains? Or do you have dyno numbers?
The Injens are great, install is kind of involved. I dont know my gains from it yet but I am waiting to finish up everything N/A part wise before I get a tune.
I just finished up the driveline parts.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

removal of the engine takes all of ~2 hours - cams are not a difficult install, just a bit time consuming in terms of setting them up and tuning for them afterwards. On an HR though, IMHO, it's well worth it since the bottom end is already stout enough to take the rpm's needed to make power
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Care to share a review or favor in a brand?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

My mods on my HR are:

Injen intakes
Injen true dual exhaust
Berk test pipes
Uprev Tune

I'm not going to get into what my dyno numbers are because they are very disputable (If you are that curious I started a thread about it maybe a year ago and posted up the dyno). What I can say that each of my mods have repeatedly shown for myself and other members that they do gain some power and comparatively great power gains when looking at the other options for non FI mods.

I have no plans to do gears, headers or cams. In fact I'm not going to be doing any more mods for power gains unless it's FI which is pure speculation at this point. For now I'm just going to enjoy the car and set my focus on my current suspension set up and whether or not I'd like to upgrade in the future. But for now I'm perfectly fine with it so I'm just going to save some money, perhaps wheel ***** a little in the mean time, but who knows?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 PM
AadosX

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
removal of the engine takes all of ~2 hours - cams are not a difficult install, just a bit time consuming in terms of setting them up and tuning for them afterwards. On an HR though, IMHO, it's well worth it since the bottom end is already stout enough to take the rpm's needed to make power
Hmm.. interesting. Any more info?

Aadosx I've seen your threads n youtube clips. Freakin awesome!!! Same color and same wheels

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Phenom
My mods on my HR are:

Injen intakes
Injen true dual exhaust
Berk test pipes
Uprev Tune
that isn't close to enough to get in the 300+ whp realm unless you had a VERY LUCKY engine to begin with...

probably, and I say probably, all you have + headers and mild cams SHOULD be enough to get in the solid 300+ whp on an HR engine... without breathing mods to the heads.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
moose350z

Here are my numbers on my HR. 294hp/254tq.

The only performance mods at the time of the tune were the following (with stock air boxes and filters) at Uprev in Austin, TX:

1. Osiris flash
2. Nismo Exhaust
3. Berk Test pipes

Last edited by moose350z; 05-15-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
that isn't close to enough to get in the 300+ whp realm unless you had a VERY LUCKY engine to begin with...

probably, and I say probably, all you have + headers and mild cams SHOULD be enough to get in the solid 300+ whp on an HR engine... without breathing mods to the heads.
I know that, which is why I never claimed my car has 300+ whp. I'm happy with the way my car is now given the few mods that I have. IMO chasing a number like 300 is stupid. What's the big deal about 300? The way I see it if you spend any more than a few thousand (and by that I mean about $3000) on mods to gain power without going FI you are wasting money.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 PM
buddydannyy

i know i shold really ask this in the tuning section but since you guys are all here, i'll ask

is the technosquare reflash (i know they dont have it anymore) and osiris uprev tune same thing? is the osiris uprev tune a reflash? i can't fuggin figure it out.
i was planning on getting the osiris done next month over @church auto
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Phenom
What's the big deal about 300? The way I see it if you spend any more than a few thousand (and by that I mean about $3000) on mods to gain power without going FI you are wasting money.
You are right... the "big deal" is the amount of gain... if you want the number just go on a "lucky dyno" and you'll probably get it.

let say that in the "NA" for cheap the best you can get is about 40/50whp more than baseline with tune, full exhaust (header / tp / catback ), cams.

true that is expensive, but for certain application (road course in my case) is WAY more reliable that FI...
let just say that with a 10.000$ invested to get 50whp more on a NA setup, including "safety mods" (radiators, oil cooler, etc. etc.) is WAY safer than the basic turbo or supercharger kit you can get today.

if all you need is something to push hard few stoplights or so... than go FI
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by ITOzann
save your money and FI your HR!

or... you can always find a local dyno that read high as fukc! xD

some dude in my area..
https://my350z.com/forum/northern-ca...9-zcg-ftw.html
Hey that's me! lol.

Quick Reply: aiming for 300whp+