VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Mechanic from hell. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 PM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Mechanic from hell. (Pics)

So!

Went to Monroe Brake and Muffler and had them throw on my headers, hfc's, y-pipe, and exhaust. They finish up the job, but later that day my car throws five codes. All four P0420's I assume to be normal since the precat A/F wavelengths aren't matching the aftercat O2 wavelengths due to the cat delete. Understandable. And then P2A03, 'range efficiency,' which is severely less fun.

Oh yeah, there was also a sound that resembled bones snapping in half whenever I drove.

Today, decided to take it to a new mechanic I found who is pretty much the Gustav Mahler of car repairs. We found so many fun little surprises! It was really great

He puts the car up, and peeks at the headers from underneath. A wild ratchet appears! Yeah. A ratchet. Lodged up there. How silly. Maybe that was the rattle. Yeah, that was it.

Next he looked at the cats. What we found there I have never heard of. On the header side of the cat, there was only one bolt holding it on!! WAAAAAT? Keep in mind I supplied all new bolts and gaskets. But the really super duper part was how he managed to get that one bolt through the headers and hfc, yet not have it go through the gasket. How you ask? Because he tried to use a circle gasket with with two bolts on a piece that needed a triangle shaped gasket with three bolts.

Here look this stuff is ridiculous!

I am not sh!tting you, you can even see the outline if I take the gasket off, this actually happened.

Also, the wiring to the left bank O2 sensor was stripped, rendering the part useless and throwing the car into a closed-loop limp mode running off stock ECU A/F ratios that have nothing to do with the way my car was driver-mapped...don't worry br4h no need to tell me about this though.

Seriously though, look at the carbon buildup on this gasket, this was totally defeating the purpose of a larger diameter pipe, it is so ridiculous that he did this.

Anyways I am absolutely livid, wanted to share this experience with you, and warn you not to do power mods at a nationwide store that doesn't give a rats tuchus about your car.

Here's some funny rap, thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDLUwMaUiao
Attached Thumbnails Mechanic from hell. (Pics)-img_0586.jpg   Mechanic from hell. (Pics)-img_0587.jpg   Mechanic from hell. (Pics)-img_0588.jpg   Mechanic from hell. (Pics)-img_0590.jpg   Mechanic from hell. (Pics)-img_0594.jpg  

Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
350ztttt

Btw, there was nothing wrong with the HFC's, but I had them swapped out for Berk test pipes because we thought the rattle was from a loose honeycomb in the Hi-flows. Of course that wasn't it, the hfc's are fine, 22,000 miles(ish) on em, $209 shipped.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Duckeee

that is completely bad.

sorry sir.. go give that so called mechanic a good ol' ball exploding wedgie.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you call them out on their craftsmanship?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 PM
ninous26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link them to this thread. Really do.

Then file a report to BBB, and ask for your money back. Really, do it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 PM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes me angry. i think buddy just gave up on life seeing as 2012 is just around the corner.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Lakeside

So you bought the HFC's used? How many miles did you drive the car like that?

If I had high ceilings in my garage, I would seriously consider buying a lift rather making a large purchase like an SC or TT kit. I miss being able to do my own work. It seems even professional shops do some crazy sh*t.

I once walked into a shop up here called Synapse motorsports. I had them dyno the car. No AFR reading after some Mods were installed. I was curious what their dyno would read.

They were to install my Stillen underdrive pulley. I found my radiator out of the car with the mechanic with an impact gun on my crank bolt with the car in 1st gear. I asked the guy.... "Did you even bother to read the instructions I included with the part?" Mind you this guy use to work for Nissan as a mechanic! He says "No, I am experienced technician" So I pulled out the instructions which clearly state to the remove the starter and lockout the flywheel.

I told him I wasn't paying for any of it. To get my car together and off the lift. He's like well I have 2-3 hrs labor into it so far. What an idiot. I don't pay for stupidity. I'm lucky he didn't destroy my front seal.

Last edited by Lakeside; 05-18-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM
gordenZ

That's why, IF and only IF you are going to let a shop work on your car.

1- You must know someone who works there and their work quality.
2- Someone very close to you, or a mass group of people recommends them for their work on that one specific thing you need done.

I don't know if money was the issue, but taking your car to a shop not knowing how they work is very much like gambling.

Hope you got that mess solved

Last edited by gordenZ; 05-18-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why didn't you go to your mechanic in the first place?

Most people working at a Monroe muffler and brake are lucky to have a high school degree let alone be a certified mechanic. I think you have a right to be mad... at yourself for letting mentally challenged people work on your car.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM
AadosX

And this is why I do every mod I'm physically able to do. A lift would be nice, but jack stands work too!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got two friends with lifts, one is a Infiniti mechanic by day... and a couple go-to VQ shops for the big stuff. Never, ever would I consider taking my car to anyone who doesn't specialize in the V35/Z33 platform.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Lakeside

^^^^ Agreed! I am the same way. Having a slammed nismo its difficult to work with jack stands. I'm also 6'4 which doesn't help. I would rather stand and look up when working.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM
AadosX

Originally Posted by Lakeside
^^^^ Agreed! I am the same way. Having a slammed nismo its difficult to work with jack stands. I'm also 6'4 which doesn't help. I would rather stand and look up when working.
Yes it sucks but I'm a broke college kid. Half the time installation labor costs as much as the parts I'm buying! I'm 6'2" and it isn't comfortable under there.. but I do what I gotta do! Thanks to friends willing to give me a helping hand too!

Let me tell you, installing these test pipes was awesome!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM
gordenZ

Originally Posted by AadosX
Yes it sucks but I'm a broke college kid. Half the time installation labor costs as much as the parts I'm buying! I'm 6'2" and it isn't comfortable under there.. but I do what I gotta do! Thanks to friends willing to give me a helping hand too!

Let me tell you, installing these test pipes was awesome!
do people make fun of you for driving a z? I get picked on a lot, maybe it's because I'm 2 inches taller than you.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
NZMOWND

Originally Posted by gordenZ
do people make fun of you for driving a z? I get picked on a lot, maybe it's because I'm 2 inches taller than you.
I'm 6'6" and drive a Z lol

fail on your part for not taking it to a reliable mechanic....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Thats why i do everything myself.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
BEBO'S ZEE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you go back and get them to return your money?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Lakeside

I have always liked Z's. There is ample leg room. Generous head room for a sports car. Only time I have an issue is when wearing a helmet at the tracks. It makes me want to order up Bride seats and lowering rails.

Good to see there are quite a few tall guys with Z's. Most people I meet are 5'10 & under.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 AM
350ztttt

Originally Posted by Lakeside
I have always liked Z's. There is ample leg room. Generous head room for a sports car. Only time I have an issue is when wearing a helmet at the tracks. It makes me want to order up Bride seats and lowering rails.

Good to see there are quite a few tall guys with Z's. Most people I meet are 5'10 & under.
I agree, I am an eighth of an inch away from 6' 7"! My head was over the windshield of my x's s2k, but in the Z I feel just as cozy as in my Ford Edge.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
350ztttt

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
I'm 6'6" and drive a Z lol

fail on your part for not taking it to a reliable mechanic....
Well, they were the only people willing to put the headers on, as you need to pull the motor to do so comfortably. I certainly do not have the experience to do such a thing, and at the time did not know/could not find a great mechanic to do the mods for me. I don't regret it, I just wanted to show the depth of their ignorance.

Seriously think they may have been hating since it was a nice car, and like one member said, they probably don't have anything more than a high school education and may have been resentful.

Quick Reply: Mechanic from hell. (Pics)