VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Basic SC HR build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM
kloudak47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic SC HR build

Hey guys,

Long time reader, very little in the way of a poster...

So I took the plunge earlier in the year and bought the GTM Stg 1 SC kit for my 2008 HR and decided to give it a go with throwing it on the car myself (I'm definitely not a mechanic but I can definitely take sh*t apart) and here is what I ended up with.

The original dyno run was with Fast Intentions exhaust, FI HFCs, Injen CAI and the trans go kit was fresh in the car. Everything else stock.

The final run was with same cat back exhaust, stock cats and the GTM stg 1 kit running at ~7 PSI. I did not use the tune from GTM (I got impatient) and had the rock stars at Intec Racing (Lawrence) punching keys and making magic.

Note: I had some slipping at the top of 4th so I'll have to watch that but otherwise, I'm loving it!

Oh and yes, this is an automatic

I will add some pictures of the car a little later.

PS. I saw ace32x's car today ripping up the dyno, thing is a BEAST!

Here are a few pics of the process..

Opening up the goodies

Teardown

Yes, I did this entire thing on jack stands, yes I did it in my cramped garage and yes I did it by myself.

The biggest lesson learned through the entire build, make sure you have the right tools and follow torque specs. This seems obvious but if you get lazy and deviate it can cost you extra work/money or both. Not pictured in the thread is my deviation with replacing my sub assembly in my power steering linkage, I stripped the high pressure fitting socket (not the fitting) and ended up having to leverage the services of slidegood to get a new assembly on the cheap. In the end it all worked out but if you get in a hurry

Teardown

Power steering, alternator and SC in place

And the final shot, post tune, buttoned up

I figured it also relevant to give you a kinda crappy full car shot

Some other items I acquired as part of this modest adventure into FI was a 19R tranny cooler which I'm having trouble finding a home for (mounting wise). A PLX DM-6 display that is connected in to a vac/boost module and a fluid temp monitor so I can watch my ATF fluid temp.

I also have the PLX wideband module which I will need to have a bung welded onto the drivers side oem cat to get fully functional.

Down the road if I want to beat the snot out of the car I'm most likely looking at a built/re-built tranny, colder plugs (I used the 370 plugs from the stealership and was told to go colder by both GTM and my local tuner) and some better brakes.

A lot of time was spent researching for this modest setup and I pestered quite a few forum members (rcdash, etc) who have experience with an auto and FI as I went along, thanks to those I bothered, appreciate the help.

Oh and fitment wise with the GTM kit, I had very few issues. If you are planning on doing this kit you may need to shave the sh*t out of the fan shroud for the lower piping not to push back into the passenger side wheel well. Other than that, it all went in pretty smoothly.

Last edited by kloudak47; 05-05-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added photos!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome numbers!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn I wish I had an HR
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
R350Zz33

this might be next on my list
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
SalmanZ

This is awesome! Did you make any videos?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
NismoZ#1033

Hey! looks good so far and congrats on the nice numbers. You mentioned in your post that you had slipping in 4th...is that regarding belt slippage or are you not getting traction to the wheels in 4th? Anyways keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, props for doing it yourself! You and NismoZ#1033 make it sound/look easy to install
Post some vids if you can.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
bigcloud

Good numbers mang! Also props to you doing it yourself!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
kloudak47

The slipping was the automatic transmission, I wish it was the belts The graph posted was the best run when the car was stock and then the tuner laid the best pull in 3rd over the top with the SC in, he didn't push the car in 4th due to the slipping he saw in the transmission.

I'll try to get some videos done up but I'm expecting my first child any day now so it might be awhile.

As for the kit install, it really is pretty easy as long as you follow the guide, take your time and are not scared to get dirt all over you.

Oh and they claim the supercharger is quiet, it is actually rather loud unless you are cruising at freeway speeds. When its blowing off excess air or at light throttle it sounds like a little jet engine. My car was fairly loud before I took the HFC off so the noise doesn't bother me but while these blowers are quiet in certain scenarios they are fairly loud under other conditions. Driving through the neighborhood under low load gets a lot of swivel head action.

For anyone thinking about tossing one of these kits on your ride and not going for an extreme setup, highly recommend it, just take it to get it custom tuned when you are done.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice results and for diy!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything looks wonderful. need some videos!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Nice Job. Thinking about doing the same thing after the warranty's up. I may hit you up for some advice. Let me know if you need any help with the brakes/suspension. I have a full garage with pretty much everything you could need.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM
ace32x

those are some good numbers on an auto! i bet that thing is pretty damn fun with the transgo in there too!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
ace32x

not to solicit in your thread.. but i do have 2 bride low max reclinable bucket seats a sparco harness bar takata harnesses and a set of almost brand new rotora 4 pot front and rear bbk, some tein monoflex coils with edfc and hot chikis sways if you need any of that for that new found power ^_^
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! Was the tranny slipping before you ran the sc?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
kloudak47

ace32x, send me prices on brakes/suspension/sways. Can't promise a purchase right off the bat but I might be able to swing something The stock brakes are quickly becoming a problem.

CJs, no slipping was noticeable before the SC but I had some issues after the transgo kit was installed that were all tied to ATF fluid level (it was low essentially). It is possible that while I was figuring this out that it caused some damage. The slipping is slight and intermittent, not all the time but enough to know that something is up now that the kit is in.

The tuner leveraged the Osiris torque management stuff to get it as solid as possible (I think you can get it to pull timing at certain points to prevent kabooms?)

Contemplating a MT swap if an HR donor car presents itself and I'm feeling up for it. I'm also going to be shopping around for a rebuild to see what the difference in direction would be (cost effectiveness being the primary driver -no pun intended).

I'm also wondering if I could keep the stock TC, and modified VB (transgo, assuming its not an issue) and then just pay labor to have an IPT rebuild kit (part of me wants to DIY it but thats definitely over my skill level/experience) installed and see if that holds the power.

Anyone with deep knowledge on the RE5R05A feel free to chime in here...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So you dont have the transgo kit installed? Would that help with the slipping?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by kloudak47
ace32x, send me prices on brakes/suspension/sways. Can't promise a purchase right off the bat but I might be able to swing something The stock brakes are quickly becoming a problem.

CJs, no slipping was noticeable before the SC but I had some issues after the transgo kit was installed that were all tied to ATF fluid level (it was low essentially). It is possible that while I was figuring this out that it caused some damage. The slipping is slight and intermittent, not all the time but enough to know that something is up now that the kit is in.

The tuner leveraged the Osiris torque management stuff to get it as solid as possible (I think you can get it to pull timing at certain points to prevent kabooms?)

Contemplating a MT swap if an HR donor car presents itself and I'm feeling up for it. I'm also going to be shopping around for a rebuild to see what the difference in direction would be (cost effectiveness being the primary driver -no pun intended).

I'm also wondering if I could keep the stock TC, and modified VB (transgo, assuming its not an issue) and then just pay labor to have an IPT rebuild kit (part of me wants to DIY it but thats definitely over my skill level/experience) installed and see if that holds the power.

ill get some of it today when i get home from work, sorry for the late reply
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by kloudak47

pm'd u pics
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Mkai0

Good results

I wish my 5AT HR G35 (371 whp, 322tq STD Dynojet) numbers were as good as yours. I've checked my car for boost leaks and everything, and I still don't see why I'm not getting at least 400 whp. I'm bringing my car to GTM this summer to see if they can retune my car better numbers.

Quick Reply: Basic SC HR build