Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

I'm a noob and need serious help with COBB AP for the HR

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
saechao916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a noob and need serious help with COBB AP for the HR

okay, I have no idea when it comes to tunning ecu's and stuff. So I've read a few threads regarding the Cobb AP and how it gave HR owners acceptable gains which is what I want. I'm the type of person that wants to just put performance parts on and feel instant power without much knowledge. Well I'm lucky enough to have found the Cobb AP device used for a very good price(just waiting for seller to ship). My question is, how do I even get started with this thing? I've read a few forums and people talk about air/fuel mixtures and ratios, maps and bunch of other stuff that I don't get. Please, could someone here with experience with Cobb be kind enough to educate me on how this thing works? Please don't bash on me bc I've tried searching and still find it really hard to understand.
My current mods are:
-Nismo S-tune with Stillen Y-pipe
-K&N drop ins(had stillen gen2's but felt like I lost power so I sold it)
-future mods still to come, just had the HR-Z 6MT for only 3 months

Last edited by saechao916; 04-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM
NightShade

The access port is pretty much plug and play. It has about three tunes on it out of the box that you can upload to the ECU once it's plugged in. Right now I'm running on the stage 2 tune and haven't had any problems.

To actually tune your car you would need to download the access race tuner software which I believe is free. But I wouldn't do that unless you knew what you were doing. For basic bolt-on mods the built in tunes should be enough.

Having said that, once you get all your bolt-on mods, I would then recommend getting a tune done by a shop since it may bring out a little more power. But since that can cost anywhere from $3/400 up, I'm not doing it until I put everything on my car.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The cobb ap is very simple to use if you have the basic understanding of how an engine works. If not then just load one of the staged maps.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
The cobb ap is very simple to use if you have the basic understanding of how an engine works. If not then just load one of the staged maps.
This right here.

If you don't know what you are doing and want to learn there are a ton of resources out there to learn about tuning.

The COBB maps included will give some gains and are setup to match what you have on your car, stage 1, stage 1+, stage 2, stage 2+ all work for different mod packages.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
saechao916

thanks for the inputs. very helpful