Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, so, what did you make!!?

baseline vs with intakes only
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM
CptWiggles

Lol seriously, how are you just gonna tell us you got it dynoed and give no results? Killin' me

Edit: didn't see that you updated your first post

Last edited by CptWiggles; 08-19-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
CptWiggles

Also, how close is the intake to the power steering cooler? I got the stillen power steering cooler and don't know if I would be able to fit the stillen intake as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by HR.R-CING
okay, so, what did you make!!?

baseline vs with intakes only
I have been updating my original post check there
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
Also, how close is the intake to the power steering cooler? I got the stillen power steering cooler and don't know if I would be able to fit the stillen intake as well.
not sure about the stillen cooler but no issue with the stock. I did unbolt it to move it out of the way during install and to figure out where to relocate the horns. I did not have to cut or modify anything on the car to get these to fit which im very happy about. Only slight modification was extending the wires for the horns as I mounted them lower closer to the cooler. Its a pain to install and I took my time but does fit very well. The filters sit high up so unless the stillen cooler looks like a front mount intercooler you should be fine.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
CptWiggles

Are you worried about water being sucked in at all?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Jonnoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in regards to the intake debate

Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
Are you worried about water being sucked in at all?
not even close the intakes are mounted up high. you would need to drive thru over knee height in water to submerge the filters. if you were to do that you would probably have an issue regardless of what intakes lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by Jonnoh
in regards to the intake debate

http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI
ive seen this before. still lots to be debated. as some of those test cars were very small displacement motors and they managed to make power with a long intake tube. Maybe the extra long tube stillens have the same effect? I will reevalute the intakes again in the future when I have all bolt ons in place with tuning and do a same day test with the stockers versus the stillens. with the Osiris software I will be able to tune the car for each intake setup. by no means will you make 10% that's like 30hp from my baseline.

my increases were 4.3% from actual readings from both tests. but I can not verify if that was all due to the intakes and not the lower humidity and 10degrees difference in air temp. There is definitely something going on thru most of the power band that's improved.

to be continued...

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 08-20-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Mike07Z

Has anyone seen good gains from just the k&n drop in filters? Is there a noticeable sound difference with just the drop in's
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If you want to see if the K&N's will make a difference, take out your stock paper elements and drive around for a while. Feel anything? I'll give you a hint - you won't, and the K&N's filter dirt/grit about as well as no filter, too.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Mike07Z

Originally Posted by dcains
If you want to see if the K&N's will make a difference, take out your stock paper elements and drive around for a while. Feel anything? I'll give you a hint - you won't, and the K&N's filter dirt/grit about as well as no filter, too.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are not a fan of K&N
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I was foolish enough to try one on my E30 M3. After only a few thousand miles the entire intake tract was coated with fine, sandy grit (I'm in Florida, so it's dusty sometimes when it's not raining). Took me half a day to take apart, clean, and reassemble everything from the filter all the way to the cylinder head. I can only imagine how much damage piston rings would have sustained over a long period of time with such a worthless filter. I've always use high-quality paper OEM-style filters (usually Purolator or NAPA Gold) and never had any grit get past the filter, since I've been driving from 1974.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
My next door neighbor is a retired head of SLC Delta airlines maint./mechanics. He asked me about 2 months ago what type of filters I use in my Z, I said K&N, he said that they are not good filters at all despite the good rep. Said that yes they do "flow more air" than most and that shows up in dyno.#'s, etc. but in doing so they also allow more of the tiny dirt/grit into the plenum. So it got me wondering what is a better replacement; I had dual K&N's on my Stillen long tubes and now a single K&N for my Stillen SC kit. Anybody have suggestions for good flow with best filtration too? I'm not bad mouthing K&N, just what I was told by a very intelligent ex-master mechanic and now some posts on this site.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:26 PM
inesshell

subb'd
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
CptWiggles

I came to a very similar conclusion on K&N air filters after much research. I ended up going with Wix filters, I can't remember why I chose that brand over others but I guarantee you I had a good reason.

Some conclusions I came to regarding the subject were that any effect on power among various filters is going to be negligible at best. What will make a difference between different filters though is how effective they are at doing their primary and most important job, which is filtering out harmful particles in the air from entering your engine. Another very important factor, if you are concerned with power and MPG, is replacing your air filter annually or every 10-15k miles or so. A dirty filter can severely impact how much air can pass through the filter and therefore negatively impact your engines efficiency and performance.

Here is a link to the filters I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FT5N8S/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FT5N8S/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Another good option btw is always OEM air filters.

Last edited by CptWiggles; 08-27-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Glenn350zHR

for some reason I don't have sufficient enough privileges to post in the for sale thread but im going to sell the Stillens. More so because some of the autox classes do not allow them and I feel like the money can be better used in other upgrades.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it was a good start! I think you'll be more satisfied with other upgrades anyway. Intakes are over-rated. Slap a 4.08 FD in there and call it a day.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so basically your build thread is full of stuff that you have already pulled off and sold?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Glenn350zHR

No my build is a continuous work in progress. I have not sold anything yet. But the intakes I've decide will come out of the car this weekend and be up for sale. I need to keep the car in spec as my intentions are to track the car. Most of the Classes for autox or Spec Z do not allow engine modifications such as intakes I'm finding out. So far my thread has just been my experience thus far.

Quick Reply: Glenn's HR build