Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Glenn's HR build

Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glenn's HR build

Thought I would introduce myself and my Z. I plan on doing some mild performance upgrades while keeping it NA and maybe doing some road course and auto x events. Ive been driving it around completely stock for the last 2months and I absolutely love it. First thing I noticed is the super tall gears. 90mph at 3k rpm in 6th. This thing was built for a road course!

2008 Z Touring coupe
Silverstone
black leather
25k Miles
Picked her up bone stock from a guy in Georgia and had it shipped to Connecticut

This is not my first Zcar. I owned an 03 g35 coupe with brembos a few years ago.

Here are my baseline dyno pulls on my friends Mustang Dyno. Keep in mind the dyno software was recently updated. We think the numbers will more closely mimic a dynojet. We don't know for sure as my car was the first car to spin the rollers on the new software. We used weather correction with 80% humidity and it was about 90deg out that day. I will try to use this same dyno after every upgrade I do but I will also be tuning the car at RDZ motorsports who also have a Mustang Dyno. I will try to compare between dynos when I can.

best of 3 pulls in third gear (4th gear the car is going too fast and the fans lose efficiency. in 3rd at redline your hitting 100mph) 268rwhp 239ftlbs

Baseline Dyno video here
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...41103676256496
First Pull in car
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...50052072197767

In the works I am waiting on 20mm spacers from Z1 along with extended wheel studs and open top lugs. Also on order are the Stillen Intakes in wrinkle black. I will be posting installation and dyno videos hopefully in the next few weeks. And next up is an Osiris tune at RDZ. Stay Tuned! =)

8/1/2013

Intakes and miscellaneous goodies have arrived finally. When I can get a free night I will be installing the intakes and have installed pics and video to go along with it. Here is a sneak peak

8/9/13
Intakes installed. Here is a shot before buttoning up everything and a quick vid of first start up and a quick pull. I highly recommend these intakes. Stock sounding under normal driving and aggressive deep tone under heavy throttle conditions. Butt dyno says more power and torque will work on scheduling an appointment for the evidence. It is definitely not a novice install. I was able to get away with not modifying anything other than extending the wires for the horns. I did not drill any holes. I was clever enough to use existing holes in the radiator support for mounting the intake brackets and the relocation of the horns. Alignment is a bear and took almost 2hours just to get it to the way I wanted. Very tight fitment.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101391172496051" width="226" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101395128223741" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Dyno day with Stillen Intakes

Lots to be debated here. We all know dyno plots cant be taken seriously. Today was 66% humidity and about 75deg outside. shop temps were probably 10-15deg higher than that. when I did the base dyno it was upper 80s outside and much higher humidity. You will notice I did not show the corrected numbers because the corrected numbers showed a wash. my actual baseline numbers were 250whp and 223ftlbs. With the correction factors it read much higher than that as seen above. My actual numbers today read a gain of 11whp and 10ftlbs on the same dyno. They also were consistent on every pull. Definitely some improvements up top. Torque seems to come on a little stronger so Im guessing that the intakes work pretty well under normal driving conditions. I overlapped my last plot to show where improvements have been made. Interesting to see that the lines merge in the upper mid range. I wonder if introducing the intakes without having a tune is causing this dip. After we did the pulls I immediately popped the hood to feel the intakes. They remained cool to the touch almost all the way up to the throttle bodies.

On a side note I am returning my extended studs and spacers to Z1 and putting the money toward the highflow cats. Z1 is awesome to deal with and not charging me a restocking fee since I am putting the money toward a purchase. I am going to go a different route with wheels and get a set of RPf1s instead.

9/10/13 Tomei Expreme full exhaust and Z1 High Flow Cats

Its been awhile since I have had any updates. I took the Stillen Intakes out of the car and put the stockers back in. As Ive stated several times I know plan to do some AutoX and Roadracing. Many of the competitive classes for the Z do not allow for intakes so I have elected to take a loss on the intakes and use the funds for other things I need. The intakes are currently for sale but I can not post an ad yet till 90days on the board (hint hint wink wink). They literally have under 1000miles on them.

Latest pick up I have had the highflow cats at the house for a few weeks but wanted to wait till I purchased the rest of the exhaust to install them. Here are some pictures. Hopefully I can get some lift time at the shop this week to install and have some video and pictures installed. Oh I also picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Sports take offs from a 2011 Porsche Carrera real cheap. Needed front tires bad.

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 09-10-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: updates
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Z, congrats. Mods seem tasteful so it should turn out well.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice! subbed. For the record, dyno should have been done in 5th gear (1:1 gear)

happy modding
Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Nice! subbed. For the record, dyno should have been done in 5th gear (1:1 gear)

happy modding
With the fans that we were using and the speeds we would of hit in 5th gear it would be even further away from real world driving. If you are doing 150mph and the fans can only mimic air flowing thru the radiator and intakes at 100mph. I'm no expert on dynoing cars but the car is in a stationary position when rolling. Airflow thru the car is not ideal. Anybody actually compare pulls in different gears with data? I would be interested to see if the car could muster more power with low airflow.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:58 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks great man, looking forward to see what you do I have a similar mentality with my 08 HR.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
lgunnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like mine with similar plans. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 AM
The_Assassin

did my pulls in 4th and 5th gear. Actually got more power in 4th 273 whp 244 ftlbs in 93 degree

Last edited by The_Assassin; 07-22-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
did my pulls in 4th and 5th gear. Actually got more power in 4th 273 whp 244 ftlbs in 93 degree
ya I saw your post. my friend who owns the dyno I went to basically told me that dynos are complete bull and to take them with a grain of salt. I only wanted a baseline to compare to and even then unless I modded the car and kept it on the dyno the same day its very rough data.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Pholicious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've been reading the stock hr intakes are the best just go with a K&N filter, nice numbers
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by Pholicious
From what I've been reading the stock hr intakes are the best just go with a K&N filter, nice numbers
not what ive heard.

Here is a nismo with the intakes and a tune making 290whp. Z1 told me they have seen 12whp with just doing the intakes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xjTTfoUZgxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

we shall see for sure once I test them out and redyno the car
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM
The_Assassin

wow tune already, why not get full bolt ons then tune?. Also, did you get the stillen intakes yet and dyno?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
wow tune already, why not get full bolt ons then tune?. Also, did you get the stillen intakes yet and dyno?
stillen intakes arrived last night finally. I had them powder coated wrinkle black so it took an extra 2 weeks to get here. I will post pics shortly. They look gorgeous and well worth the additional wait time and nominal fee. as for tuning the Osiris software can be retuned for additional modifications. I plan on doing other upgrades too besides just for additional power (suspension, brakes, etc) For the money a tune is a better bang for the buck over addressing the exhaust and will help dial in the air fuel with the added intakes. I ultimately think I want to go with high flow cats and the Tomei Titanium single but all that together its like 2grand and a crutial part of that system the Ypipe im not sure I like the design of as its not as smooth a transition as some other ypipes out there. I need to do some further research on that before I spend that kind of money. I need to also address at least front tires soon. So im trying to do things in the order I feel I need to stay with in a monthly budget. a reflash is like 150$ for when I eventually do the exhaust and will give me a dyno comparison to show the gains from each step in the process.

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 08-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome build glenn, great car! honestly nissan did a marvelous job on this engine and this final model year, enjoy her for many years to come!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
Awesome build glenn, great car! honestly nissan did a marvelous job on this engine and this final model year, enjoy her for many years to come!
thanks man
Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
HR.R-CING

haha, so what's the verdict with the intakes?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In for the intake results, always nice to see a direct comparison.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Glenn350zHR

ok so intakes are in. Pain in the *** install btw. got a few commute days in on them. First impression. they are not all that loud which is cool. normal driving and startup sound stock. car definitely feels more responsive. under heavy throttle conditions its got a real nice deep tone to it. Sounds amazing and the butt dyno says ive made power. I am going to call the shop I baselined at and book an appointment for the final verdict with videos of the pull. Enjoy the new photos and vids for now

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 08-09-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
CptWiggles

Any updates on this?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
Any updates on this?
possibility of dyno time tomorrow but should be this week
Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Glenn350zHR

dyno with intakes done today. should have my Z1 highflow cats in a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glenn's HR build