Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

4x4's and 350z's don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM
illphildawg21

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x4's and 350z's don't mix

Had an unfortunate accident this weekend, a 4x4 piece of lumber fell off a gentleman's trailer and went through my front bumper, broke my radiator, radiator mount (not sure what its called), radiator fan housing, then continued to bounce around under my car and rip off my exhaust right after the y pipe. Insurance will not cover it and i'm curious what you all would do if faced with a situation like mine? I'm not necessarily rolling in excess cash right now so any affordable suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures of the damage as soon as possible.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

The guy's insurance will pay for it...unless he didn't stop
Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Grimreaper87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wooden dining table fell off the back of a truck on the freeway and I hit it. My insurance covered all the damage.

Maybe fight and question why they aren't covering it?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by Grimreaper87
A wooden dining table fell off the back of a truck on the freeway and I hit it. My insurance covered all the damage.

Maybe fight and question why they aren't covering it?
He might not have physical damage coverage
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Wietse350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something falls off someones truck on the freeway and you need to pay for it yourself??
By all means but i would make sure he will take care of paying for all the damage on my car in this case.

He lacked in securing his stuff on his trailer, and because of that smashed your car, so he is responsible for that, not you.
For the same it caused a fatal accident, and then? sorry??
Old 02-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess there can be any number of reasons why this gentleman’s car insurance will not pay this claim under the laws of your state. Could be the trailer was unregistered, or registered to somebody else and not insured under his policy. Or because the load was not properly secured, who knows. Obviously he’s still responsible for your losses. If he has homeowners insurance, these policies cover much more than fire/theft; they cover a huge amount of personal negligence liability. Surprisingly, this covers your liability both in and outside of your home.

If none of these things will cover your damage and the other party can’t or won’t pay, your comprehensive coverage will cover it. Much like if some gravel fell out of a pickup and one rock broke your windshield. Hopefully you have comprehensive coverage.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

We probably don't have the full story here. Did the person who dropped the 4X4 stop? Did you get his name, address, phone number and insurance information? If not, do you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle? Your comprehensive should cover the damage regardless of how it occurred.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:47 AM
350ZZJoe

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
We probably don't have the full story here. Did the person who dropped the 4X4 stop? Did you get his name, address, phone number and insurance information? If not, do you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle? Your comprehensive should cover the damage regardless of how it occurred.
Based on the info provided I am going to guess that the driver of the truck?trailer didn't stop and the OP does not have comprehensive insurance on his vehicle. Lesson learned.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:50 AM
illphildawg21

It was 2am and after the event I wasn't able to keep driving and had to stop, I don't think the guy was even aware anything happened, so yes, he didn't stop. I was not drunk, before anyone jumps to any conclusions. The insurance company claimed they would not cover it because of where it hit my car, they said had it hit my hood or windshield it wouldn't be an issue to cover it but since it hit the bumper then proceeded to bounce around under my car they will not due to it touching the ground. sweet right? I'm open for suggestions on places to get solid affordable parts, aftermarket or stock, and I have an awesome paint guy and bodywork guy they are gonna help me out to. thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM
illphildawg21

I have full coverage and my family has been with our insurance company for over a decade, when I say they won't cover it, I mean they'll cover it then up the insurance rate of my far to over 300$ a month. thats the quote they gave me and my family due to the fact the car is less than 10 years old and we have only owned it for 1 and a half years as of now. What I'm really driving at is suggestions on where I can get affordable solid parts.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Wietse350Z

What a laws you have over there then.
Here in the Netherlands you are kept responsible for things falling of your trailer.
By law you even need to cover the trailer contents with proper netting, if you don't you risk getting a fine for it.
If there is rocks or sand coming out of your trailer the coppers will pull you over and you are not allowed to carry on driving.

For the exhaust you might get a good deal on Ebay.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by illphildawg21
It was 2am and after the event I wasn't able to keep driving and had to stop, I don't think the guy was even aware anything happened, so yes, he didn't stop. I was not drunk, before anyone jumps to any conclusions. The insurance company claimed they would not cover it because of where it hit my car, they said had it hit my hood or windshield it wouldn't be an issue to cover it but since it hit the bumper then proceeded to bounce around under my car they will not due to it touching the ground. sweet right? I'm open for suggestions on places to get solid affordable parts, aftermarket or stock, and I have an awesome paint guy and bodywork guy they are gonna help me out to. thanks everyone.
The insurance rep's explanation of why your comprehensive insurance won't cover such an accident makes no sense. You may need to engage an attorney to look over your policy and review the damage ro your Z.

As for parts, you'll need to check the classifieds here and the salvage yards in FL. It'll be a struggle to get the best prices, but don't ignore doing a full and complete repair to avoid future problems.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:29 PM
frocker93

Step one: Are you willing to pay over $300 a month for the insurance? If not, ignore the following 2 steps.

Step two: Check the policy to see if there is language that states they won't cover it if it touched the ground first.

Step three: If there is language that states that, you're out of luck. If not, then pursue the insurance company.

Step four: Get an estimate. Could be a lot more damage than you think initially.

Step five: Take the list of parts you need and hit every facebook group with "WTB" threads.

Step six: Check sites like rockauto, car-part, ebay. This could be a great time to upgrade your exhaust and radiator or other components.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

1. the alleged person that dropped the 4x4 didn't stop, if that is truly what happened
2. op is saying he has full coverage when he probably doesn't
3. if you have been with that agent/company for 10 years a single claim shouldn't raise it to much when it is a not a fault accident
4. if you are paying 300 a month for insurance on a 350 you are getting f*cked
5. i feel as if something is missing, claim it, get the car fixed.... if you can't afford insurance after that, go back to a civic

/thread

Last edited by travlee; 02-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:51 PM
frocker93

Originally Posted by travlee
1. the alleged person that dropped the 4x4 didn't stop, if that is truly what happened
I questioned why he had a trailer at 2am when this happened
Old 02-27-2015, 02:58 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

i mean it happens, a good friend of mine is a general contractor and works late to finish jobs, but i don't think what op is saying is the truth
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM
iideadeyeii

If you hit something on the ground then it it considered a collision loss and you will get points on your license (I've been an agent for 14 years) Even though someone else "caused" the accident without their information it's a single vehicle collision. Comprehensive does not cover collision claims, but rather what collision does not cover. (minus any exclusions)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
iideadeyeii

That being said hitting an animal on the ground is comprehensive. I guess they don't count.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by frocker93
I questioned why he had a trailer at 2am when this happened
This, who is transporting 4x4's at 2am.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 PM
illphildawg21

I live in a rural area were it's not uncommon for some country boy to have never taken the trailer off his truck from a day of work. My insurance rates are currently below 100$ a month, they threatened me with upping it into the ballpark of 300$. Good news though, after some argument with the insurance company they agreed to cover it under comprehensive. I'm in the process of ordering parts and know exactly what i need. The only part I'm having issues finding is the radiator for the HR. I wasn't able to find a definitive answer on if the DE and HR radiators are interchangeable, though, if i remember correctly, the HR shares the same radiator as the 370? is that correct?

Quick Reply: 4x4's and 350z's don't mix