Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

blown head gasket. Need help with decisions.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:01 PM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown head gasket. Need help with decisions.

so couple days ago my car was parked in a open parking lot,direct sun, for 6 hours. I went to head home and made a quick stop, not even 10 mins. I got back on the high way and i feel a hard jerk. I notice i couldnt go above 1.5k. I exited high way and was on the access road and had a 4 way stop. I accelerated and notice it was still doing it so i pull over straight away. I saw steam coming from the hood and got out. Was careful in opening the hood because i had a idea what it could be. Well coolant was every were. Coolant cap was popped but not popped off what it was covering(if that makes sense). I noticed the coolant Reservoir was still at max, well little over max. So fast forward and the mechanic said head gasket is bad. Sadly i dont know what caused failure to cause over heating or if this been happening for a while and the engine been suffering so to speak. ( besides the obvious air/gasses leaking into coolant channels in the block).

So questions.( of course not sure till block is opened)
1. If the block got warped or heads is there enough room for machining to still keep things in spec? I wanna say no. if i remember correctly it got to be with in 1 thousandth.
2. Except for out sourcing the machining is it something doable by myself? if i decided to take on the task?
3. if worst case both are warped, should i start looking into a engine rebuild?

Some history of the car. 07 with 53,000, im original owner. from last 07 to 2009. it was pushed at the drag strip or out in the country. but in the last 6 year it been just a point a to b car, maybe a little back end coming out(not on purpose).

I hope i can be pointed in the right direction in what to search if i missed something and best opinion from you all on what course of action should be done.

P.s i hope i posted this in the right section since it is vq35hr related.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:35 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Whatsup fellow san antonian.

1. The block generally doesn't warp. It's not likely the heads are warped unless they are removed incorrectly. Yes you can mil them and everything will be just fine.
2. I would advise taking your heads to a professional machine shop for an inspection. Duffin engine service is on my list of good shops as they have yet to disappoint me.
3. if they're both warped, it wont change your situation much being that milling both of them will cost maybe 60 each if my memory is correct.

The cheapest and maybe fastest way to fix everything would be to buy another vq35hr engine and swap it in. I've seen them go for a little as 300 before.

If you are up for the task of a full rebuild and this is your first engine, you're gonna need to do a lot of research and get the FSM's on hand. You should be able to find a pdf of the FSM here