New 370z (13.5 @ 105 mph) combined times - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
SBG
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New 370z (13.5 @ 105 mph) combined times

Looking at a combination of several popular Magazines

1. Car and Driver - 13.6 @ 105 mph
2. Road and Track - 13.7 @ 103 mph
3. Motor Trend - 13.3 @ 105 mph
4. Edmonds - 13.4 @ 104.8 mph

These are excellent times, but not what most of us expected out of the 370z. The original thinking was possibly 350hp and 3100 lbs for the new Z. That would have been a great combination. But at 330hp and 3300+ lbs, the new Z doesn't seem much faster than the previous model. I for one am a little disappointed.
But for the price, the 370z is an excellent performance deal.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Banned
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

not to shabby
Mike@Blackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Nexx
Registered User
iTrader: (41)
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 13,657
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

if a magazine driver can average 13.5, that means its a 12 second car with a good driver.
Nexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
sirploppy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Korova Milk Bar
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do you have a link to the Car and Driver or Road and Track tests? I didn't think they got to testing the 370z yet...
sirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
SBG
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
if a magazine driver can average 13.5, that means its a 12 second car with a good driver.
There will always be a number of guys that run faster times than average (cold air, fast track, great driving, etc). That can be said for all cars. But the fact remains that the 370z is a low to mid 13 sec car (based on testing), which is pretty darn good. But its really not much faster than the 350z.

Just like LS2 GTO's are low 13 sec cars, even though there's a long list of guys that have run 12.9s in them. The same can be said for LS1 z28s. They are low to mid 13 sec cars, even though there's a long list of guys that have run high 12s in them (stock).
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
SBG
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirploppy View Post
Do you have a link to the Car and Driver or Road and Track tests? I didn't think they got to testing the 370z yet...
I got the magazines in the mail.
Car and Driver Jan. 09
Road and Track Jan 09

Road and Track has a beautiful picture of a blue 370z on the cover, and Car and Driver has a yellow 370z on its cover.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!
iTrader: (40)
 
eagletanggreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 3,307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Theres no way in hell your going to cut 1/2 a sec off to run 12's with this car stock... No way the mph is not even there not to mention the gearing.
eagletanggreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
scmtkings4
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
scmtkings4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

based on magazine times

the 07 Z was 13.7

so 13.5 isnt that great considering the 30 hp jump + slight weight loss
scmtkings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
black06z
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
black06z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Coast/Pacific Rim
Posts: 7,219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Absolutely dreadful!!!
black06z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
SBG
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletanggreen View Post
Theres no way in hell your going to cut 1/2 a sec off to run 12's with this car stock... No way the mph is not even there not to mention the gearing.
It will be possible, but the conditions will have to be really good. There's a couple guys in this forum that have run very low 13s in "stock" 350z's. If we are to believe they ran those times in stock 350z's, then they should be able to pull a 12.9s out of a 370z.

But as mentioned, this will not be the norm.

It will take really good track conditions:
Low elevation track
Cold air
Low humidity
Favorable tail wind
Excellent track prep

But for the average Joe in average conditions, the 370z will be a low to mid 13 sec car.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Kam350z
Registered User
 
Kam350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 903
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

These times are very disappointing.
Kam350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
phatz33
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
 
phatz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin/Plano TX
Posts: 255
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

were they testing it with the 6MT? I have a feeling the 7SP auto will be quicker
phatz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Endgame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatz33 View Post
were they testing it with the 6MT? I have a feeling the 7SP auto will be quicker
True. The 7AT G37 is the one that did the quarter in 13.5. The AT Z will be quicker than the MT....
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,134
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

And people flamed me two weeks ago when I wrote "Out of the box I think the 370Z will be only SLIGHTLY faster than an HR." 13.5?!!!! A DE does that with bolt ons!!! Well, hey it handles better and stops quicker. Super.
Firebase99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
NISMO_558
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
NISMO_558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
True. The 7AT G37 is the one that did the quarter in 13.5. The AT Z will be quicker than the MT....
...And how many people actually know that for sure? proof?
NISMO_558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
BobDigi5060
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

At least the magazine 1/4 times aren't slower like they are with EVO/STi. Not to mention the car is braking and handling better than before according to the editors. How can people still be dissapointed? Anyone who is dissapointed by these improvements should be dissapointed with their 350Z.
BobDigi5060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
zsport1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
There will always be a number of guys that run faster times than average (cold air, fast track, great driving, etc). That can be said for all cars. But the fact remains that the 370z is a low to mid 13 sec car (based on testing), which is pretty darn good. But its really not much faster than the 350z.

Just like LS2 GTO's are low 13 sec cars, even though there's a long list of guys that have run 12.9s in them. The same can be said for LS1 z28s. They are low to mid 13 sec cars, even though there's a long list of guys that have run high 12s in them (stock).
I think there were some people that were hoping for 350HP. Most people knew we were looking at 330HP. And there was one review that said the base 370Z car put up the same performace that of a 350Z NISMO. For the price of the 370Z base, that's not bad at all.
Bottom line is the 370Z is going to prove to be an all around better car than the 350Z. If you were expecting to see an extra 50+HP and still have Nissan keep the 370Z extry level price low you were asking for way too much.
zsport1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,134
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsport1 View Post
I think there were some people that were hoping for 350HP. Most people knew we were looking at 330HP. And there was one review that said the base 370Z car put up the same performace that of a 350Z NISMO. For the price of the 370Z base, that's not bad at all.
Bottom line is the 370Z is going to prove to be an all around better car than the 350Z. If you were expecting to see an extra 50+HP and still have Nissan keep the 370Z extry level price low you were asking for way too much.
For the most pasrt I agree. However, the market is extremely volatile. It's competitive and very cut throat. People want, DEMAND their dollar go a long way in todays economy. Im no different. I have about $40 grand to spend on a car. If Nissan wanted my repeat business, they could have, they SHOULD have done more with SIX years of evolution from the Z33 to Z34. A MARGINALLY SLIGHTLY better, faster Z is NOT justification for MY $40k. FWIW, my 2 cents.
Firebase99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Endgame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350z_racer05 View Post
...And how many people actually know that for sure? proof?

Benchmark: G37 No one knows anything for sure
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
scmtkings4
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
scmtkings4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
At least the magazine 1/4 times aren't slower like they are with EVO/STi. Not to mention the car is braking and handling better than before according to the editors. How can people still be dissapointed? Anyone who is dissapointed by these improvements should be dissapointed with their 350Z.

theres no being dissapointed with the Z because this was the starting point. we didnt know what to expect from the 350z

but now with the new Z, we knew it had more hp, lighter, shorter etc. But improvements are slight. Thats where dissapointment occurs
scmtkings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel bearings? Obadabot Maintenance & Repair 12 02-26-2017 06:02 PM
My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you. Colombo Forced Induction 29 10-10-2015 02:31 PM
Oil change with aftermarket oil cooler XM 1 Engine & Drivetrain 11 10-01-2015 10:44 PM
Aftermarket Thermostat? SharX59 VQ35HR 5 09-27-2015 09:23 AM


Tags
105, 105mph, 12, 135, 137, 14, 30hp, 350z, 370z, 7sp, add, mph, stock, time, times, track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send