Notices
West Canada British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Mantitoba, etc.

Canadian Z Owners Please Read...

Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 AM
LowG350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Z Owners Please Read...

Hey guys,

Havent been on here for a hell of a long time, but I wanted to check out to see if anyone has ever drove across canada in their Z. I am going to around mid june so I was looking for anyone that could give me some info (gas, how far you drove each day, etc.) I staring in northern alberta and going to Nova Scotia.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Arvin89

Reading.... Never done it and I personally wouldn't do it in my Z. With the harsh weather that you may run into anywhere along the route, rock chips, psycho truck drivers and the price of gas. I'd rent a prius. .

I've heard that is a fun drive if you go with a bunch of friends and a hellish 52 hours on the road if your alone. Goodluck.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Arvin stop being such an old fart, the Z is a great road trip car. On the open road a Z can get an easy 800 plus kilometers to a tank of gas. LowG, driving to N S is a super long way. It’s not the 5000 kilometers. Long distance drivers can do that before breakfast, it’s the mind numbing flat nothingness of the central part of the country. Consider nipping down to Jasper and south down the spine of the Rocky Mountains crossing the border into Idaho. Heading east this way will take you over some classic “two lane blacktop”. Please no Interstates ever on a road trip.

When you travel through northern Montana be sure to drive over one of the world’s greatest sports car roads the “going to the sun highway” an engineering marvel from the 1930s. Soaring mountain peaks on one side, sheer cliff drop offs on the other side, so twisty even the smallest RVs can’t fit on it.

When I was a tiny thing my dad bought me an ancient MGB and I became the road trip queen. One hot summer’s night my BFF and I were tiptoeing around the sinewy curves of the ‘going to the sun’ when from the pitch blackness behind us bright driving lights appeared. An even more ancient Jag XKE blasted around us and the next corner at the same time and instantly disappeared up the road. However, the roar from the open exhaust seemed to go on forever.

The next day we met up with the Jag people, and to our surprise they were an even more ancient elderly couple on a cross-country road trip. We were blown away when we found out that it was grandma who was driving when they passed us like a freight train high up on the mountain pass that night. If you take a girl with her chutzpah and pizzazz with you, I can guarantee a great road trip.

PM me for some great routes.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you left, yet?
Edit: Nevermind, it's not mid June.

Last edited by DaveJackson; 05-13-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Attended Derek Zoolander School For Kids Who Can't Read Good
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car home from southern Georgia it was in the 50hr range. Myself and a buddy drove it straight one guy slept while the other drove. I would never do it again. 12-13hrs a day is enough driving unless you are more worried about the destination than the trip?

A guy on G35driver is doing the trip from the east cost out to Alberta this summer. With gas prices what they are it would cost a small fortune
Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to a co worker today he said he did it in a Ford F250 diesel took 700L of fuel one way $1600-1700 round trip. Hopefully a Z could do it in more like 400-500L
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
xjuddx

Default I've done it

I've done Grande Prairie to NB round trip Grande Prairie going there through the states and back through canada and I've done to Toronto through the states.
The Z can be a very fun car on the open road like that. I reached speeds I won't post on here while going through Sask. I got off the main highway and just put my foot down. You could see for miles and it was a lot of fun.
I discovered that no matter what the outside temp is like that turning your heated seats on makes the drive a lot more bareable. I did just under 800km on 1 tank before I discovered this and when I stopped my back was so stiff I could barely stand up.

If you do do it I would recommend taking regular stops to stretch. I much prefer my tahoe for long drives.