Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 AM
pgh2atl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Newbie with some questions

Hey guys!

First let me say that this forum has been very informative in helping me make decisions on whether I should upgrade my stock 17" rims to 19" aftermarket market rims. This is my first time down the wheel upgraded road, so I'm wondering if some of you 19" wheel experts can help me. Everyone here has been great in answering questions so I'm hoping that a couple of question I have will get answered......

1) In going from 17" rims to 19" inch, will I need to upgrade my rotors or brakes at all?

2) I have rubber speed bumps in my parking garage where I live. I was planning to upgrade to the Axis Milanos staggered (19 x 8.5 Front/19 x 9.5 Rear). Will going over these bumps daily bend those rims? I usually roll over them at less than 5mph (pisses off anyone behind me), but I'd hate to upgrade & ruin new rims on speed bumps........

Any knowledge/info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Solo
'03 Super Black Touring
Old 03-21-2005, 11:24 AM
ThumpAZ

The only reason you'd really need to upgrade the brakes on the car is if you plan on taking it to the track or doing stupid things on the streets that would require heavy and repeated hard braking situations.
Otherwise, the stocks will do you fine... for a limited time (the pads on the Z's wear out at a faster rate than normal cars)

As for the speed bumps...
If you size everything right, you will lose a little ground clearance, and should think of that when taking large speed humps or bumps.
A 5MPH trek over rubber bumps better not bend the wheels, unless they're made of putty. The bumps you hit out on the freeway are harder in force than the hit you describe. If they bent then... the DOT would pull the certification and NHTSA would be all over their butts.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM
sisco534

They should fit fine, they shouldnt rub the fenders , no replacments but get some different brake pads unless you want to clean your new expensive wheels all the time, I like ceramic verrry little brake dust, a little squeal not bad depending on the kind of pad. I have cheap Bendix ceramic pads hardly no squeal.