Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Lightweight Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 AM
TheBigShow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Tires?

i suppose info on this subject would b even harder than findin out stuff on wheels, but i thought i would just throw it out there anyway. anybody do any research on light tires? thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:00 AM
apharmdb

Toyo T1-S are pretty damn light.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the Michelin and Toyo are the two compounds that have the lightest weights, while your Bridgestones and Goodyears are among the heavier offerings.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
lafdclass002

Tirerack.com has started listing tire weights. After you select your tire (brand and size) hit the "Spec" button and it will list the weight.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM
TheBigShow

if i was goin 17x8 +25 in the front and x9 +35 in the back, what sizes should i b lookin at? i'm a tire newb; no, retard.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM
baileyrx

245 or 255's for the front & 275's for the rear
Old 03-29-2005, 05:29 PM
TheBigShow

looks like a 265/45-17 would b closer to stock diameter in the rear than a 275. either way, tirerack didn't have a 265 or 275 in the 45-17 size. wtf?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Breakbeat519

interesting, I never thought about tire weights. When I lifted the toyo t1-s' they seemed pretty light.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:34 AM
TheBigShow

on tirerack, i saw a diff of upto 3 lbs per tire. my front potenzas weigh 28, and i saw bfgoodrich g-forces at 25. that would b another 12 lbs total, in theory. couldn't hurt. what about tirerack not havin 265-275 17's?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:45 AM
MongolKhan

Try not to buy Kumho tires if you looking for lightweight tires, they are heavy as hell.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 AM
TheBigShow

ha; i had them on my old car, and they sucked anyway.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 AM
gpslater

Toyo Proxes T-1S

Check out:
http://hubcap-tire-wheel.com/Toyo.asp
Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by Breakbeat519
interesting, I never thought about tire weights. When I lifted the toyo t1-s' they seemed pretty light.
Most of us do not, at least not initially. But when you consider how much money we spend on getting lightweight wheels (sometimes better than a grand a wheel), to undo all that effort and expense with throwing heavy rubber on them is borderline tragic. That puts into perspective the issue of cost as well. Nothing about cars is "cheap". But the four little palm sized patches of rubber than connect you to the road are clearly one the very most important parts of equipment that you have to work with. This is only one guys thought, but when it comes to helmets...don't mess around looking for a bargain...get the absolute best that is available, and do without competition for four months if you have to save to then get it. And when it comes to tires, really research out what you want in all the attributes available and then make your decision armed with the information you need to get exactly what you want, knowing you have it fully understood. Weight is a serious consideration. Price is not irrelevant, but for an extra thirty bucks a corner for rubber, when you may have just dumped a locker full of cash on light forged wheels.......c'mon boys and girls, you are masking with heavy tires some very important performance returns and will never enjoy or even recognize them as a result. Your balance of objectives may take you to a heavy tire, in which case, you might save four or five grand and not get those light wheels!

On my G35 the stock eighteen inch wheels were approximately twenty four and a half pounds each. Going to the Nismos saved better than six pounds a wheel. To dump half of that back on, or more, with heavy rubber would have to be really justified with other factors superior in handling, wear, etc. For my nineteen inch street wheels I got a screaming deal on some SO3 potenzas, so I put them on. And it felt like a truck in comparison to the Michelin and Toyo tires I had. Now, they have so far been excellent in wet and dry grip, and they wear very well. But compared to the handling and turn in and feel of the Michelin and Toyo, they are bricks. Does not mean that they are not great tires, they are. Depends on what you are looking for.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Breakbeat519

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Most of us do not, at least not initially. But when you consider how much money we spend on getting lightweight wheels (sometimes better than a grand a wheel), to undo all that effort and expense with throwing heavy rubber on them is borderline tragic. That puts into perspective the issue of cost as well. Nothing about cars is "cheap". But the four little palm sized patches of rubber than connect you to the road are clearly one the very most important parts of equipment that you have to work with. This is only one guys thought, but when it comes to helmets...don't mess around looking for a bargain...get the absolute best that is available, and do without competition for four months if you have to save to then get it. And when it comes to tires, really research out what you want in all the attributes available and then make your decision armed with the information you need to get exactly what you want, knowing you have it fully understood. Weight is a serious consideration. Price is not irrelevant, but for an extra thirty bucks a corner for rubber, when you may have just dumped a locker full of cash on light forged wheels.......c'mon boys and girls, you are masking with heavy tires some very important performance returns and will never enjoy or even recognize them as a result. Your balance of objectives may take you to a heavy tire, in which case, you might save four or five grand and not get those light wheels!

On my G35 the stock eighteen inch wheels were approximately twenty four and a half pounds each. Going to the Nismos saved better than six pounds a wheel. To dump half of that back on, or more, with heavy rubber would have to be really justified with other factors superior in handling, wear, etc. For my nineteen inch street wheels I got a screaming deal on some SO3 potenzas, so I put them on. And it felt like a truck in comparison to the Michelin and Toyo tires I had. Now, they have so far been excellent in wet and dry grip, and they wear very well. But compared to the handling and turn in and feel of the Michelin and Toyo, they are bricks. Does not mean that they are not great tires, they are. Depends on what you are looking for.
So true, I couldn't agree more. At least now I have more insight, but I'm personally glad I went with the t1-s. I'll research more next time!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Eagle1

Breakbeat:
The Toyos are a very fine product, especially the Proxes T1-S.
By the way, they are building a new state of the art manufacturing plant in Georgia to build passenger car tires, and should be able to thus provide more of them to enthusiasts here in the US than they can now (current demand exceeds their supply capacity at present).
Old 03-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Breakbeat519

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Breakbeat:
The Toyos are a very fine product, especially the Proxes T1-S.
By the way, they are building a new state of the art manufacturing plant in Georgia to build passenger car tires, and should be able to thus provide more of them to enthusiasts here in the US than they can now (current demand exceeds their supply capacity at present).
Yeah they are a fine product! do you think the new plant would lower the cost of the toyos? Do you know when they are going to start pumping out new tires haha