Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

handling problem -

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:11 PM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default handling problem -

recently i removed the spare tire and i performed an ecu reset. car felt peppier and lighter but with undesirable handling characteristics...

i feel the car oversteers way too much. even when i'm doing a straight line and i'm flooring it, it 1st gear and sometimes second, as i approach 4500+ rpm, i feel like the rear end is startng to fish tail quite a bit. the car feels like its floating and i have to make quick steering adjustments to compensate.

its kinda dangerous.

does lightening the rear end (~40lbs? removing spare) cause this drastic change??? whats up?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 PM
zmespeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totaly know what your talking about. right now i have the hole back totaly stripped down to the metal and that tail end is squirly as a nut under power then if i let off the power in a turn the tale end comes in to much and the car under steers.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:26 AM
jkoc

so this is what others with STOCK ssuspension and reduced rear end, are experiencing?

i thought it could also be the fact that i mucked around with my suspension by lowering it with rsr ti2000+stock shocks. i was thinkin maybe my shocks are worn but thats too early.

i lowered my car last year but didnt have a chance to get realignment. i'm going in next week to get it done. theres a post i searched in here as well as advice some a local Z'r to get it aligned for about 2deg toe out front, and 2deg toe in rear... but i am thinking that wont solve the floaty feeling in 1st-2nd gear high rev power band...

at any rate. i'm gonna put the spare tire back in and try it out again
Old 04-16-2005, 06:10 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The weight of the spare is less than the difference in weight between a full tank of gas and an empty one...But the combination of the two would definitely start to make a noticeable difference, IMO.

Also, your tires could simply be worn.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:48 AM
FritzMan

jkoc,

I had more time to think about the oversteering you/I are having and a couple of ideas came to mind.

First I think alignment is needed and rear toe-in is ideal.

Second, in Solo2, I always found the LSD to be quite non linear in the first 1/2 of a run. It's almost like the unit required a little heat to start to work better. This 'heat' would stick around long enough that the typical break between runs wasn't too long. Either way, as the day progressed I was able to get on the throttle harder and harder existing a corner. Perhaps we're feeling the cold diff and not giving it a chance to become more linear.

Third, and this I noticed yesterday, it seems like the car responds well to rear stiffening. Last year when I installed my rear lower GT spec bar, I could have sworn the rear bit harder. Yesterday, I reinstalled my Avalon harness bar (really stiffens up the car) and the rear seemed to be quite a bit more stable.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:58 AM
jkoc

thanks fritz.
#1 im' going in on monday to realign based on your recommendations. (2deg toe out front, and 2deg toe in rear, match rear's camber to fronts).

#2 interesting thought. i did noticed anytime i had tried testing the car, it was a few minutes after i had just started it up... maybe i'll give it more time

#3 i dont have thicker swaybars like you... you have hotchkis ? where does the avalon harness bar actually go? in the trunk?

on another note, i put my spare tire back in the car and the car seems more stable now at high rpm, straight line. prior to that when i removed the spare, my car felt "floaty" and highly unstable.