Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Truechoice Phase III & IV DA Coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

By and large, simple math does say the price is well,.......outrageous. Most all the parts can be had to those that know where to look to basically make your own Koni coilover setup. And a conversation with Koni will reveal that off the shelf Koni's have enough rebound range to work with the spring rates being used. IMO, what your really paying for is for the shock revalving and the race car teams expertise in that area. Plus knowing that the ride heights are dialed in. But still, they have placed themselves in a high end price point for reworking off the shelf abit reworked parts. Being in that price range means one can find other products that have a lot more to say about how they are built or their construction vs who R&D'd them. Moton Club Sports come to mind as does what TC Klein will be coming out with, though to be fair I don't know the exact price of either.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:10 AM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TC Kline aready has the shocks in stock for $419 per shock. Bolt on a set of stock diameter springs and they're ready to go.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dklau33
... I know this is a subjective topic but how is the street ride to you with your 10kg/9kg setup? Okay for you as an everyday driver? And what are your thoughts in terms of performance if I were to get lets say a 9kg/8kg FLT-A2 setup?
I'm quite pleased with how the car is riding ride now. Frankly, it depends a lot on road conditions in your area but in Canada we can get some pretty rough stuff due to frost upheaving etc.. Because this is a year-round daily driver I refuse to compromise driveability for the sake of performance.

The best thing about this setup is that the shocks can be noticably stiffened up when you want to play so to a certain extent you can get the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't worry so much about softening the front rate as the rear. For example, I autocrossed this weekend and ran the front dampers full stiff and kept the rear full soft (handling was fantastic). I had to drive off the lot (to the john) and was surprised how decent the ride still was with the front full stiff. IMO, softening the front much more would result in brake dive and loss of steering precision.

I guess what I've saying is that 10/8 setup should work well and save you the cash of having to separately purchase the front springs ($120 for both).

Last edited by FritzMan; 05-18-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:03 AM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

EnthuZ

did you ever have a chance to ask about the phase II offering? or when they'd be available? and are the phase 3-4 available now to purchase?

also noticed they used hyperco vs eibach in the test mules, not that it matters since they are both great

pp

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
NO!

I thought I mentioned that the delay in their release was due to the adjustable rear spring seats being made....

The catalog pic is just a generic shot.

I haven't asked about the Phase I or II.

As for pricing......think the higher of the 2 mentioned as being closest.

I'm off to the track, so I doubt I'll be able to add more news till Tuesday, but keep the questions coming.

Here is an old shot from last August, but I'll bet it's accurate. (NOT the 4 way adjustable black one)
Old 05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
J Ritt

Hi Guys,
I got an update from Jackson Stewart at Unitech the other day. The official name for this package will be the Unitech/Truechoice Koni Suspension Package. All sales will be handled through Unitech Racing. They can be reached at 661-256-7870.

Retail pricing is as follows:
4 shocks- 2 front, 2 rear Koni Truechoice phase 4 $2600.00
Spring and adjuster package complete $700.00
Total price: $3300

Additionally, there is an optional race type billet monoball shock top mount set $340.00. These would be used by those that want a more track-oriented setup. They would be a bit more harsh/noisy on the street, but would reduce the compliance found in the stock shock top.

The pricing above is consistent with the previously published pricing in the Truechoice catalog. For a limited time however, Unitech will sell the shock and spring package for $2995.00. The monoball shock tops are still optional on top of that price. I was also told that the first few people who purchase will receive a complete install and car set-up from Unitech for free! ...Having the team that builds and runs some of the fastest 350Z's in the country set your car up for free...not a bad deal!!!

The Unitech/Truechoice Koni Suspension Package is also available for the G35. Spring rates will be slightly different for that kit, while pricing will be the same.

PalePony..yes, this package is on sale now. To my knowledge, Unitech doesn't have any plans to produce a Phase 2 package at this time. I believe it was discussed early on...but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
daveh

Unitech will be installing mine shortly. I was supposed to do it next week, but I just found out today that my cage install has been slightly delayed due to a broken part in the pipe bending machine.
Going crazy waiting..
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
palepony

where is unitech located?

i presume the install would happen there

pp
Old 05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Skrill

Unitech is just outside the gates of Willow Springs up near Lancaster, CA.

I am going to a track event next weekend up there with TCRA. I called Unitech today and they are hoping to set me up with an install either Friday or early Saturday.

So I went ahead and jumped on board. It is a lot of money -- but this is (from all accounts) the best researched and most complete suspension available using the best of best parts available. I cannot wait to drive it at Willow Springs -- although I think Buttonwillow or Streets of Willow would be a better test for it.

http://www.touringcarclub.com

Last edited by Skrill; 05-20-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
palepony

huh, 1600mi from where i am, too bad

pp
Old 05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Skrill

I was just re-reading my post and I wanted to make a note with regard to the cost of this suspension.

An excellent suspension like this -- one that has been engineered and tested by the best in the business, and is made from top quality components -- can cut several seconds off of lap times at a road course. To get an equivalent reduction in lap times from horsepower would probably require a full forced induction solution -- which cost thousands of dollars and signicantly degrade the reliabilty of a track car.

I guess what I am trying to say is -- the cost is not all that much for result you get (several seconds off your lap times). I for one am willing to pay to have the best suspension set available. The Z is a car that excels on a road course -- it's a handling car (not an big hp car) -- I want to have the sharpest handling possible and achieve the fastest laps that my skills will allow. I also do not want to go FI because I want the durablity and reliablity necessary achieve repeated track sessions with no mechanical issues. (I am sorry -- I just do not think any FI solution has the wherewithall to withstand 1 hour+ hot lapping sessions in 100+ degree dessert heat. It has not been proven to me that the car can take the additional heatload generated from a turbo or supercharger).

For me -- return on investment from this suspension will make the capital cost worth every penny.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:38 PM
daveh

Also to add to Skrill's comments, yes it is a lot of money but if you think of the R&D you have to do on other kits just to dial them in it would cost the same or more when all is said and done.
On my last car, I went through 2 sets of shocks, sway bars, and many sets of springs before I got it right. In the long run it ended up costing much much more not only in parts but time and labor I spent on all of the installations.
The fact that many of you are chasing spring rates that are very different than what unitech ended up with is also a reason just to make the up front investment with this kit that is developed by the pros at unitech.
The free install that I am getting also helps me justify spending the $$. The way I see it, time is money. If they can have my car dialed in in one day and allow me to just go the track and drive, I will be one very happy person. As much fun I've had developing my past cars, I am at the point where I just want to get in the Z and drive the wheels off of it.

Skrill, I am trying to get signed up to instruct at buttonwillow with nasa on June 11th. Are you going to that event?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:44 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Just got home from work, and read the above informative info. Truechoice is going to be offering their Phase I & II kits also, details to be to be announced soon. I will go with the Unitech/Truechoice Koni Suspension Package as it is what I asked for back in December! A streetable HPDE package at a reasonable drop. Dropping further will require much stiffer springs, which I don't want for street use. From what I understand, there will be no Phase III, as Unitech determined that the shorter shock is a necessity. One could call the race type billet monoball shock top mount Phase IV +!

A big thank you to Unitech for developing an awesome suspension for our track toys!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Skrill

Originally Posted by daveh

Skrill, I am trying to get signed up to instruct at buttonwillow with nasa on June 11th. Are you going to that event?
Yes -- I do plan to go to that one. Kojima I am sure will pressure me to go. He wants me to get an SE-R cup car real bad. I am pretty tempted.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 PM
palepony

i couldn't agree more with you Skrill
for me, suspension is where gains are to be made, not to mention a much more enjoyable driving experience
now many may not agree with us, but it's a pleasure to be in your guys company of like minded individuals

i've spent the past days weighing the costs of such a purchase but the reasons for going this way are very compelling

i may just need to make that drive

pp
Old 05-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrill
I was just re-reading my post and I wanted to make a note with regard to the cost of this suspension.

An excellent suspension like this -- one that has been engineered and tested by the best in the business, and is made from top quality components -- can cut several seconds off of lap times at a road course. To get an equivalent reduction in lap times from horsepower would probably require a full forced induction solution -- which cost thousands of dollars and signicantly degrade the reliabilty of a track car.

I guess what I am trying to say is -- the cost is not all that much for result you get (several seconds off your lap times). I for one am willing to pay to have the best suspension set available. The Z is a car that excels on a road course -- it's a handling car (not an big hp car) -- I want to have the sharpest handling possible and achieve the fastest laps that my skills will allow. I also do not want to go FI because I want the durablity and reliablity necessary achieve repeated track sessions with no mechanical issues. (I am sorry -- I just do not think any FI solution has the wherewithall to withstand 1 hour+ hot lapping sessions in 100+ degree dessert heat. It has not been proven to me that the car can take the additional heatload generated from a turbo or supercharger).

For me -- return on investment from this suspension will make the capital cost worth every penny.

Well yes, but your not buying the best Koni technology which IIRC is what they are actually running on their race cars, 2812's again IIRC. Your getting a twin tube design that does not have a story to tell construction wise like it should for it's price point. While I have no doubt's that this is the best R&D's product we've seen and that it will not doubt deliver on it's lap time promise that will delight most of us. But in a road course race, can the product deliver the same consistent performance from the start of the race to the finish like a better engineered Koni product can, I do not believe Lee Grimes should say it would. Don't get me wrong, I really like what they promise, just not entranced with what's inside the shocks. If they were these I wouldn't say a thing. http://www.koni.com/_racing/_damper_..._introduc.html
Old 05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Well yes, but your not buying the best Koni technology which IIRC is what they are actually running on their race cars, 2812's again IIRC. Your getting a twin tube design that does not have a story to tell construction wise like it should for it's price point. While I have no doubt's that this is the best R&D's product we've seen and that it will not doubt deliver on it's lap time promise that will delight most of us. But in a road course race, can the product deliver the same consistent performance from the start of the race to the finish like a better engineered Koni product can, I do not believe Lee Grimes should say it would. Don't get me wrong, I really like what they promise, just not entranced with what's inside the shocks. If they were these I wouldn't say a thing. http://www.koni.com/_racing/_damper_..._introduc.html
I see your point, but also consider that a 2812 has no place on a street driven car. I had a conversation with tckline who switched from the 28 series to the twin tube konis on his T2 car. He told me that he found that the 28 series didn't work well with the stock rubber bushings. Most of us are not entering endurance races but rather are running 20 minute lapping sessions. Also keep in mind that shock oils have come a long way and are not as prone to overheating and cavitation as they used to be which lessens the need for high pressure nitrogen. One of the forum members here is using an off the self koni yellow in T2 with the 600/700lb race springs and doing quite well I might add.
Again, not saying there isn't better technology out there because there certainly is. I am just thinking realistically for what I will be using these for. For a little more money you can get something like jrz's which are known for their harnshness on the street (although I've personally never ridden in a car with them) or Moton. One has to decide where to draw the line and think realistically what the ultimate use of the car will be. On a side note, my old JIC's had it all on paper. Monotube, high pressure nitrogen etc. None of that mattered on the track when they overheated half way through a 20 minute session, were poorly dampened and had noisy upper mounts. Quality control, development and R&D are highest on my list with the amout of garbage that is out there. I'm hoping the konis have these traits.
I can't speak directly yet to the truechoice unitech setup because it's not yet on my car. Gsedan35 I see you are from central California. You should come to the event at Buttonwillow and have a look at the suspension for youself as they will be on my car then. I would be happy to give you a ride and together we can determine if they have any issues you are concerned with.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:34 PM
J Ritt

Dave,
I'm going to do my best to be at that Buttonwillow event on the 11th/and or the 12th. If Skrill makes it, that will be at least 3 Z's out there with this suspension package...should be interesting to compare and contrast with different tires, other parts, etc.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I just checked some pricing, and the 2812 MKII's go for aroung $1,200.00 EACH. The Unitech RACE cars use the aluminum 2822 4 way shocks. Not sure on their cost, but they are a LOT more expensive. I'm looking forward to trying the Unitech/Truechoice Koni Suspension Package! Now if they would send their install team to the Midwest........
Old 05-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Redfoot

Maybe they would come out for two installs
Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
John

Originally Posted by J Ritt
For a limited time however, Unitech will sell the shock and spring package for $2995.00. The monoball shock tops are still optional on top of that price. I was also told that the first few people who purchase will receive a complete install and car set-up from Unitech for free! ...Having the team that builds and runs some of the fastest 350Z's in the country set your car up for free...not a bad deal!!!
You left-coasters sure are fortunate.

<- envious

Quick Reply: Truechoice Phase III & IV DA Coil-overs