Any Problems for those with banded TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
autois4pussies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh hmmm

maybe the vibrations cause it to bend and twist... No idea :|

But thats a good point thanks!

Ill try to leave as little extra as possible. I just don't want to leave too little and then have the thing come apart.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 PM
autois4pussies

I tried hunting down the plywood spacers or plwood clips as some places called them. I had trouble finding 5/8" as directed by the DIY by bznay. Instead i found 3/4" or 6/8" clips. This is 1/8" bigger, so will it cause any problems as in being too loose or something? I bought the clips from Osh (Orchards). I also bought the loctite there. Homedepot didnt seem to have the loctite or clips.

Also I bought weather proof double sided tape from Homedepot, but like an idiot I did not buy enough. I have 4 wheels which are about 5ft circumferance. I bought 2 pacs of 5ft making it 10ft of tape. Thats about 2.5 feet per wheel.

Do you guys think I'll need to cover the entire wheel or will half hold out just fine.

Larger clip and less tape is making me a little worried.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autois4pussies
I tried hunting down the plywood spacers or plwood clips as some places called them. I had trouble finding 5/8" as directed by the DIY by bznay. Instead i found 3/4" or 6/8" clips. This is 1/8" bigger, so will it cause any problems as in being too loose or something? I bought the clips from Osh (Orchards). I also bought the loctite there. Homedepot didnt seem to have the loctite or clips.

Also I bought weather proof double sided tape from Homedepot, but like an idiot I did not buy enough. I have 4 wheels which are about 5ft circumferance. I bought 2 pacs of 5ft making it 10ft of tape. Thats about 2.5 feet per wheel.

Do you guys think I'll need to cover the entire wheel or will half hold out just fine.

Larger clip and less tape is making me a little worried.

Thanks for the help guys.
i cut the tape into 3" strips spaced about 4" apart.
if you really want the right size clips, pm me your addy, and i'll send you some. i bot a bag of hundreds at home depot, only to use 4.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:15 PM
autois4pussies

Thanks a lot for the offer! Thats really great of you . The only problem is I have to get this stuff sorted out and the tires and wheels out of my room on tuesday so I'll have to look for the right size myself.

Thanks a whole lot though!!!!

I go to school in san diego so I should be pretty close, but I'm in LA for the summer :[.

Man I miss SD its like paradise ;[.

I'll have pics up of the wheels on as well as a final report on how it went.

Ill be going to performance nissan as the tech was kind enough to allow me a few minutes to grab the tps from them and mount it and then give it back.

Hopefully it goes well.

Thanks take care
Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by autois4pussies
Thanks a lot for the offer! Thats really great of you . The only problem is I have to get this stuff sorted out and the tires and wheels out of my room on tuesday so I'll have to look for the right size myself.

Thanks a whole lot though!!!!

I go to school in san diego so I should be pretty close, but I'm in LA for the summer :[.

Man I miss SD its like paradise ;[.

I'll have pics up of the wheels on as well as a final report on how it went.

Ill be going to performance nissan as the tech was kind enough to allow me a few minutes to grab the tps from them and mount it and then give it back.

Hopefully it goes well.

Thanks take care
np. let me know if you change your mind or need help.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:44 PM
autois4pussies

What a day

I hope everyone is doing well.

I tried going to performance nissan, but the guy who did the work had to leave at 3 and I couldn't make that.

So I call America's Tire Co. (Discount Tire Co.) and ask them if I had the banding straps and necessary equipment would they be willing to do the unmounting and mounting that i needed. The response was "ya sure, if everything looks legit and stirdy we will let u strap the tps on and then we will mount it, weve done it before"

So I arrive there and lo and behold what happens. First hes like we cant do it because the tps would not do the 90 deg bend so it won't fit. After getting cut off 10 times he finally alowed me to explain my banding straps and that they work and they have been done before. He says ok that will work. Go into the shop, pay $200 to unmount the stock, mount the new, and balance. We get the cars ready and then I see him walk out with someone shaking his head.

He says "Nope I'm sry we can't do it. First reason is that the tire pressure wont fit right (WHAT THE @#$@# I JUST EXPLAINED IT, so i explain again), ok but the tire pressure wont be able to get the reading if its not exposed to the surface (i explain to him 5 times that it will work because the sensor is on the outside and the valve stem attatched to it is unrelated), ok but also because you are running low profile tires (35 ) there will be no room in there and the tire will crush the sensor (again I explain its been done plenty and no it wont break), but also its federal law that the tps has to be accesable and visible on the outside so we can't do it because that would be illigal ( @#*&^ at this point I had it, said forget it and left wasting my entire day). I got the refund and left PISSED. But before I left he curtiously reminded me that on the phone I never mentioned that the tps would need to be swapped( ?!?!?!?!?!).

He also mentioned that it was illegal NOT to have tps on a car that came stock with it. This dude was full of so much crap, if i wasnt pissed i woulda laughed.

Wow am I totally pissed. Im so tired of this project because its been a huge time killer and a pain, but I want it done and I want it done right.

For all of you who sympathise, or pity, or just wana help can you let me know what shop you got urs installed.

That would be of great help, thanks fellas
Old 07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Z BOY

wow, talk about drama. those guys are full of it. at least you learned what kind of bull shzit to avoid in the future.
my experience: i did the banding part at home, then took my new wheels and tires to a small local wheel shop (not tire shop) i am familiar with. they had never done my fix before, but they pulled the tps off the stock wheels and attached them to the clip as i instructed, with locktite i provided, installed the new tires on my new wheels and balanced them, all for $80 total.
performance will surely hook you up.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
rmnunez

Sorry to hear that Auto. I was thinking of taking mine to a Discount tire also, but after hearing about your troubles, im thinking of going somewhere else that has experience with banding the tps.

Z Boy, what shop did you use, Im in the San Diego area also and it might be easier to go there and avoid the hassle that Autois is going through.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by rmnunez
Sorry to hear that Auto. I was thinking of taking mine to a Discount tire also, but after hearing about your troubles, im thinking of going somewhere else that has experience with banding the tps.

Z Boy, what shop did you use, Im in the San Diego area also and it might be easier to go there and avoid the hassle that Autois is going through.

Thanks
there's a little shop called wheel zone on palm ave in imperial beach, just east of the 5 fwy, just before hollister. i have the phone # somewhere if it isn't listed. let me know. the guy who runs it is daniel. tell him matt with the black z and gold wheels sent you.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Badmonkey

Auto, where are you located? I have a good shop in Burbank that will hook you up.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM
ZilvahZ

Well guys, I had something similar but here's how I got around some of this. I too went to Discount Tires and they gave me the same head shaking stunt like you had. I contacted the corporate office and did a little bit*h n moan and low and behold the guys at the local shop was waiting for me with open arms! Not to mention smiles on their faces. They even strapped the TPS's on for me and all I had to do was check it when they were done. Needless to say I was very happy, even went back to buy new Nitto 555's and taught them they could mount wider tires on my 9.5" wide rims. :-)
Old 07-26-2005, 08:37 PM
NTRIGUE

3.5LBS rotational weight
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by xcmpx
3.5LBS rotational weight
huh?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
autois4pussies

Originally Posted by Badmonkey_1
Auto, where are you located? I have a good shop in Burbank that will hook you up.
I live near pasadena. Im 15 min away from burbank. I WOULD LOVE THE HOOK UP!

Can't a guy just get his tires on and get on with his life i mean its a freaken piece of plastic that is hardly 2 inches wide, how hard can it be

If you can let me know the company/location/number then I'll gladly give them a call and see if I can get this done with. The next day ill be able to try would be sat or tues.

Let me know.

Thanks for the huge support fellas
Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Badmonkey

The place is American Tire Depot, located on Burbank Blvd. That is where I got my wheels. The guy who runs the place is Ohan. Give him a call and try to explain what you need. They should be able to help. Tell him I sent you.

Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 12:23 AM
autois4pussies

Thanks ill give them a try.

At this point im thinking of going to a specialty performance shop.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM
NTRIGUE

Originally Posted by Z BOY
huh?
Didn't see the 50FT part, sorry.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by xcmpx
Didn't see the 50FT part, sorry.
np
Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 AM
autois4pussies

Hey guys I hope everyone is doing well.

I finally did it! Saturday I went to the shop badmonkey_1 recommended and got everything done. This was at American Tire Depot in Burbank. The manager was a really cool and patient guy. His crew was slightly hesitant to mount the tire over the tps sensor because they didn't want it to break, but it turned out to be fairly easy! It took the guy less than 40 seconds to get the tire on the bad boys.

It took a lot of work for me and my dad (who was giving a hand). Even though i had everything cut and measured, all that was up in the air after i had an actual TPS sensor to try and fit. Getting the TPS sensore to fit all the way into the clips was the HARDEST thing ever. I had 6/8" clips instead of the recommended 5/8" but we still barelly got it in. It was a very tight fit.

All the pressures are reading fine with no problems and the tires/wheels on the car look amazing! Pics don't do it justice!!

Since it was late/dark and the car wasnt all too clean I couldn't get any real pics but on sunday I should be able to.

Here is a photoshop enhanced/teaser one that i took really quick.

If anyone has any questions just pm me for help, I don't mind.

The only thing is, this is a lot of work so you better get used to being turned down and being stubborn is a must .

Old 07-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Z BOY

...and have 30k+ online friends

Quick Reply: Any Problems for those with banded TPS?