Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

machining hub pad of rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default machining hub pad of rims?

I just got back from my local volk wheel dealer

purchasing LE37's and debating 9.5 vs 10.5 +22's for the rear (275 tires)
. I am reluctant to get 10.5's since I personally don't like the stretched look of tires, and also feel that 10.5 +22 push the wheel out too far, so my reluctance is purely asthetic (in my personal opinion), but i love the lip!

I know I know, this topic has been discussed to death but i have a new question.

An option my dealer offered was to machine the pad of a 10.5 wheel 5mils to tuck the wheel in to a similiar position that a 9.5 would have. Granted this will not change the stretched look, but would tuck it in more.

Has anymore modified their wheels this way, or would anyone even consider doing this to their wheels? It seems there would only be downsides to thinning out the hub pad? Therefore, ? bad idea?

thanks
pp
Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 AM
bilinghm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order for this to be a reasonable idea, the "dealer" must have access to a very large lathe or a cnc milling machining station . In either case, the success of the project will be determined by the skill of the operator. Will the wheel manufacturer honor their guarantee if such modification is made? Very unlikely.

I have a home machine shop and do all sorts of wild modifications to car parts, but I wouldn't consider trying this one. There are a whole host of technical issues, like how to maintain the accuracy of the original machined surfaces that determine the run-out of the wheel, what surface to clamp on, etc. It might be fine, but a failure would really suck!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had this done onm my own wheels before (a set of Speedlines on my Impreza). If the guy says he has done it, and will cover the wheel should a problem develop, you are good to go. These were the 2 things I had answered before I pulled the trigger