Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

factory wheel stagger - 0.5-0.75inch - ?where is the data from?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default factory wheel stagger - 0.5-0.75inch - ?where is the data from?

The consensus on this board is that nissan spec's the front/rear stagger on TCS/VDC equipped vehicles as 0.5-0.75inch between front/rear. A site search reveals this.

So, i'm now curious, although this info is certainly correct given the consensus, where is this nissan spec info located? I searched the service manual last night and couldn't find it, perhaps i didn't search enough. Can someone point me to a link, or service manual page that states the stagger spec? There seems to be a new thread every week about whether such and such tire size will work with VDC. This may help these "misguided" people if we can quote the direct info versus other threads.

thanks

pp
Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've asked the same thing and gotten no response. IIRC, I first saw it in some posts from one of the Performance Nissan guys.

I asked a friend who works at a local dealer to ask someone in service if they can find out the official word on it but never heard anything back.

It could be urban legend, as I have seen staggers posted here that fall outside that range and the drivers reported no VDC/TCS problems.

One interesting thing I did read recently that got me thinking is that assertion that people have been looking at this wrong. The stagger should be measured as a ratio of diameters, not absolute inch difference. If you look at the specs for the stock 18" tires, the front is 25.9" and the rear is 26.7". That's a 0.8" difference which is outside the recommended 0.5 to 0.75 range, right? The ratio of diameters would be 1:1.03 so if you bought new wheels and tires, you should shoot for a ratio like that. Of course, you have to figure that there is some tolerance for that ratio, maybe 1.025 to 1.035 is acceptable and the VDC/TCS will stay happy.

When you think about it, ratios make more sense than absolute diameters since the ECU doesn't really know what diameters you put on. It's going to look at rotational differences between the wheel sensors and compare the revolutions. It's not really interested in the different distance a wheel traveled, just that one is turning at a different rate than the other.

Maybe we can get everybody who has non-stock wheels or tires to post the diameters here and whether they have VDC/TCS problems or not. Then we could build a little database of ratios, diameter differences and whether VDC/TCS is happy or not. If we get enough people to report, we could possibly figure out the limits of what's acceptable and see if it is based on ratio or diameter difference.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

bump

nobody know's where this info came from? it is the most widely quoted reason why certain tires don't work with VDC.

there is yet another thread today asking if 275/30/19 is okay

thanks
pp
Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 PM
M3This

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by palepony
bump

nobody know's where this info came from? it is the most widely quoted reason why certain tires don't work with VDC.

there is yet another thread today asking if 275/30/19 is okay

thanks
pp
Yea mine .... I too would like to know where the info came from
Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask chris at discount tire.