Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Should we consider a group purchase of HRE's wheels????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Jeff,

You can add me to the list...you already know where I stand. I was given some false information from the sounds of it when I first researched weight, however. Is it common for distributors to underestimate the weight to get more interest from us? Just to **** us off when we recieve them and put on a scale? I was told the 445R's I was interested in in a 10.5" weighed 24lbs. Now that isn't light, but I could live with it. Now I'm hearing they are more than that? I may have lost interest, but am still interested in what we can get put together. FYI I got quoted 23% off of list right off the bat! There has got to be room to move beyond even this with a group buy. Remember guys margins become less important with volume!
Old 12-12-2002, 08:43 PM
lee2375

23% off the bat? That's a pretty good price!

When we submitted the offer as a possible GB vendor, we can only give that much off for 5 sets or more!

Guess we got eliminated, sorry guys
Old 12-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Driven

Actually, if I do the exact math it was just a hair under 23%. But just to be clear...I am only speaking for what I had been told verbally and only on one specific set of wheels...I certainly don't speak for the group, just sharing my experience. Additionally, this did not include shipping.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ok, updated list

Here is what I got for the list so far (is this correct?):

. Jeff/zland : 18x8.5 & 18x10 545's (maybe 445 or other series depending on price) Should I go 19's?
2. Jeff 19 x 9 and 19 x 10.5 445s (jak)
3. Kevin/ls350: either 540, 545 or 445s (ls350z) - I'll decide on size and style by tomorrow if need be
4. John/bigjohnjuan: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?
5. Russ: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?
6. Driven: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?

I am surprized we got that many in one day !

I was thinking of going 18x8.5 & 18x10 model #545's with 255's on ft and maybe 285's on rear. Anyone got some feedback on wheel size or tire size? I am all ears......

These are heavy and expensive wheels. Is weight a major issue in performance?

Jeff
Old 12-13-2002, 03:32 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

For the record guys, HRE wheels are light for 3 peice modular wheels. You might be able to find one peice forged wheels lighter but they are not as nice as a good modular 3 peice wheel. For a 3 peice wheel, HREs are some of the lightest out there. Think about how many Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and other high end cars have used HREs on and off the track, they are performance oriented in every way as well as 'exclusive'.

I dare you to find a wheel that weighs more then 4lbs less then an HRE that has the same quality, exclusivity (is that a word?), and appeal as an HRE. 22-24lbs for an 18 or 19" wheel is light, especially for a 3 peice wheel.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:36 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default HRE Group Buy - no problem

We just did a group by for the 300Zx crowd.

Our prices for the group buy were basically lower than all other dealers. Since we are sponsored by HRE and we do a large volume we can get a deal going.

We will need 5 confirmed orders at our normal low price, then I can get the additional discounts to go very deep.

An average set from us is usually well over $1000.00 off.

I will need very specifics to do this deal.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 04:51 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default HRE Group buy

We have done a bunch of Group Buys with HRE. We also do a large volume with them besides being sponsored. So our prices can not be beat.

The last deal we did for the 300ZX crowd saved a ton of money per set.

We can get these wheels for you - lower than any other dealer.

Every set is priced differently as the options always are different per set.

They way we work them is for firm orders to place the order with 50% down. The balance due upon shipment.

We use price thresholds to the discount below our normally low prices.

1-3 set is our nornal price.
4-7 gets an added discount from the remaining balance

8+ gets even a deeper discount.

On tyhe last deal we saved customers in some cases almost 2k on a set of wheels.

We are already factory authorized to do this owrk in the Nissan Market.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Driven

Jeff,
For me it would be the HRE 445R's. I want 18" with a 9" up front and a 10.5" in rear. Offsets to be determined and finish is still up for debate. I really like the brushed aluminum look, but think that is an additional charge and heard someone say they may look worse over time than the standard painted ones? I would go with either brushed (depending on cost and truth to what I heard), the standard silver, or gunmetal. Any HRE guys want to comment??
Old 12-13-2002, 07:22 AM
lee2375

offsets we've used on this car are 9+25 and 10.5+36
Old 12-13-2002, 08:34 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default lets get our list together so we can let people bid it

Well, some vendors are willing to work with us. Lets get our list together meaning model rim (ie 445's 545's etc) and wheel size/width and then once we got exact info, we can submit an exact list thus vendors can give us exact prices to compare.

Here is what I got so far:

1. Jeff/zland : 18x8.5 & 18x10 545's (maybe 445 or other series depending on price) Should I go 19's?
2. Jeff 19 x 9 and 19 x 10.5 445s (jak)
3. Kevin/ls350: either 540, 545 or 445s (ls350z) - I'll decide on size and style by tomorrow if need be
4. John/bigjohnjuan: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?
5. Russ: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?
6. Driven: Have you decided on wheels size/model # yet?

If i missed something/someone, add or change list as needed.

One side note is for me, I am out of th3e country until Jan 5th. I am suppose to get my Z over Christmas. Of course, I want the car before I will order mine. I hope that does not mess us up for a group order.

Vendors, how long will it take to get wheels once we order them?

Thanks everyone, Jeff
Old 12-13-2002, 08:50 AM
lee2375

i think that no matter who you go thru, the time will be about 4 weeks, but will vary slightly by finish. the shortest time is full polish, longest would be chrome or painted (paint is done out of house).

I sent you a preliminary break down yesterday, but it looks like the Avalon guys may be better in terms of pricing.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default HRE Group Buy

We are HRE authorized to do group deals for the Z market.

Get details back to me ASAP so we can start provding preliminary numbers.

What we need is as follows:

Name
Car type:
Wheel Size
model wheel (series only)
Regular lip or reverse
Finishes
options.

For group deals we add lugs, stems and caps as standard.

A typical data would look like this:

350Z
fastcar@aol.com
350Z performance
18.x9 front 18x10 rear
540 series
Reverse lip
fully polished
clearcoat

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Leadtimes

Lead time run about 4 weeks. Worse case we have seen over the years is 6 weeks on special colors.

The last group buy we did we took almost all of the mfg space for a few weeks.

Average time was 5 weeks for all sets.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 09:05 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Must take a long time to each one!

How long does it take make a wheel? You said you took up all the production time but it was still a small order.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Times

The last run we did started 7+ sets in one week.

Regardless of the size of the order, we have not seen any sets go past the 4-5 week window. What also determines the lead times is the size, style and finishes.

Some finishes take a little longer like to custom painted ones.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 09:16 AM
lee2375

Default Avalon

edited due to misuderstanding/miscommunication on my part

Last edited by lee2375; 12-13-2002 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default GB stuff

We are not trying to imply anything. But we are authorized to provide GB's in the Nissan Market by HRE - see below for more details. We enjoy competition and hope the buyers do their homework. But to provide them with the best deal, it is best to work with a company that has done these type transactions in that particualr market. Our last GB for the 300Zx guys saved them in some cases almost 2K.

First of all only the standard center caps are free. The upgraded ones are not. Lugs and stems are under normal circumstances billed.

HRE likes to keep the lines clean on GB type of stuff. For example the last one we did in the Nissan Market we had a few viper customers. The dealers in the Viper market was not happy and we were asked not to go after their market share in a GB scenario.

We are set with HRE due to volumes and market presense to provide group buy prices deeper than most. Our normal prices in the past have been lower than most other dealers can buy for.

Our goal is simple - Provide the best prices to the Z community. We race and show on HRE's and are sponsored by them. This includes my personal Z's

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Russ

I'd be down for 18x9 front and 18x10 rear in the 446R's (I just prefer the six spoke wheel on the 350Z)

with 265/40/18 tires for the front and 285/40/18 on the rear (but I'm not having much luck finding 265's in that size, so may have to scale back and do the 245 front, 275 rear setup)

I'd also want to be sure the wheels are made with whatever notches may be appropriate for the tire pressure sensors.
And I'd want to get offsets before giving the go ahead, I don't think I want offsets in the upper 30's or low 40's.
The other thing I'd want is to get a set of locking lugs, don't want these babies to get ripped off!

I want to say I'm in but I haven't gotten approval from my wife so I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm in.

The HRE wheel weight is going to be roughly the same or maybe slightly less than the stock 18" non-Rays wheels which is okay by me. I'm not racing, I just driving for fun.

I did get a quote from j a y. Hope he doesn't get ticked at this but his quote was roughly the same 17% discount that I was quoted from wheelexperts w/o a group buy. So if 17% is the best we can get for a group buy then I'm not sure doing a group buy thru the forum really matters. It seems that wheelexperts must do sufficient business with HRE that they always get the 17% discount. If we can get a confirmed 23% to 25% discount, then I'd definitely be hounding my wife a little more. An excellent discount should help me convince her.

I was also interested in the brushed aluminum finish but now Driven's comments have me a little bit concerned about that. Does anyone know for sure how well the brushed aluminum finish holds up over time? The brushed aluminum finish is roughly another $200 per wheel so it's not cheap.

I was hoping to get wheels by early May so 4 to 6 weeks is plenty of time for me.

Does Avalon Racing want the requested info sent via email or posted here in this thread? And if it's by email do we need to indicate it would be part of a potential group buy by way of the my350z.com forums?

My vote is for whoever can get the best discount does the group buy. We're potentially at six sets here, so we may need a couple more buyers to get the bigger discount.
Attached Thumbnails Should we consider a group purchase of HRE's wheels????-silverstone_hre_446r_445r.jpg  
Old 12-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Data via e-mail please

We are also offering this to the other 350Z forums.

More orders better deals.

Wheels with the pressure sensors have to be identified and set up a little differently.

Regards
Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 AM
lee2375

Default Re: GB stuff

Originally posted by Avalon Racing
We are not trying to imply anything. But we are authorized to provide GB's in the Nissan Market by HRE - see below for more details. We enjoy competition and hope the buyers do their homework. But to provide them with the best deal, it is best to work with a company that has done these type transactions in that particualr market. Our last GB for the 300Zx guys saved them in some cases almost 2K.

First of all only the standard center caps are free. The upgraded ones are not. Lugs and stems are under normal circumstances billed.

HRE likes to keep the lines clean on GB type of stuff. For example the last one we did in the Nissan Market we had a few viper customers. The dealers in the Viper market was not happy and we were asked not to go after their market share in a GB scenario.

We are set with HRE due to volumes and market presense to provide group buy prices deeper than most. Our normal prices in the past have been lower than most other dealers can buy for.

Our goal is simple - Provide the best prices to the Z community. We race and show on HRE's and are sponsored by them. This includes my personal Z's

Hope this helps.

Regards
Yes, I absolutely see your point. What I meant is that we can do GB for any car, but not cross platforms (i.e. the viper example you gave), the GBs must be strictly for the vehicle intended (in this case 350Zs only).

I did not mean any harm by what I said, so please do not take any offense. I have the greatest respect for the competiton (ask anyone), and I mean it.

I was contacted by Luke at Tire Rack regarding this GB, he knows we are HRE dealers. I actually had no idea this forum existed, although I have spoken to Russ previously regarding some SSR GT3/HREs for his vehicle. If I have stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone uncomfortable, I do apologize and will end my forum participation if necessary.

regarding the caps issue, I did not know that you meant the upgraded centercaps. My fault for jumping to conclusions.

Quick Reply: Should we consider a group purchase of HRE's wheels????