Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SF-Chal +11 Slammed on stock fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:10 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drumma022
Tires in a few thousand of miles? .... Nah ... the treadwear on General UHP's are like 400 or something nice.
Should have done more research. A 200 treadwear Dunlop could outlast your 400 treadwear General.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

What size lip is that in the rear? Thanks.

Where in o-town are you located.

thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
UCLAzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the exact specs of your rims/tires, looks bad a$$
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Zexy

Good lord man,...That looks WICKED. Very nice, but that is SERIOUS camber, lol but it looks good. You should be fine after rolling the fenders and getting the camber a bit closer to spec.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
JimRHIT

That looks horrible. The tires do not fit on the wheels very well and offer you absolutely no protection at all.

Your camber is beyond poor... please repost after the camber fix is in place. Also, if you plan on taking out some of that camber, be prepared to order some toe bolts to aid you in getting back to spec.

You have the potential to have a great look there .... it just right now looks terribly done.

just my thoughts, and I do realize you feel otherwise ... but I felt it needed to be posted.

Jim
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Should have done more research. A 200 treadwear Dunlop could outlast your 400 treadwear General.
Can you please explain that cryptic-a$$ statement?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
JimRHIT

he means that different tire manufacturers rate the treadwear differently .. there is no exact standard. In general though, the 200 treadwear will never outlast a 400
Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
05-Z

I was waiting for the $100 bill on the rim lip pic...

Red BBK would look nice!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:11 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Can you please explain that cryptic-a$$ statement?
There was nothing cryptic about it. If you had followed the first part of my advice and done some research you would have understood my statement. He stated that he would not need to be buying tires soon cause he got 400 treadwear rated General tires. My point was to tell him that he should have researched real people's experience with those tires instead of going with the biggest treadwear number like most people do. Treadwear ratings are VERY often misleading when comparing between manufacturers. My statement was a very gross example but is still possible. I have worked tires before. I know how long a Douglas X-Trac Wal Mart base tire will last when compared to a Michelin of a lesser tread rating.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:16 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
That looks horrible. The tires do not fit on the wheels very well and offer you absolutely no protection at all.
Glad someone else feels the way I do. A 10.5" rim is not meant for a 265/30 tire. Your handling and grip are going to be terrible especially when you toss on all that negative camber making you lose even more contact patch. Here is a guide to what tire fits on what wheel width:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...rce_ta_kdw.pdf

You'll notice the 265/30 is meant for up to a 10" wheel. Just trying to educate for all the haters out there tonight.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
drumma022

hould have done more research. A 200 treadwear Dunlop could outlast your 400 treadwear General.
Right, but when comparing the price between the 2 and knowing that the allignment would be out of spec for a couple of weeks, I chose General. Back in my S14 days, with -2.7 deg camber the Generals lasted quite long!

The specs were posted above somewhere .....

19x9.5 +11 235/35/19 106mm Lip
19x10.5 +11 265/30/19 94mm Lip

A 10.5" rim is not meant for a 265/30 tire
True, a 265/30 is recommended on a 10" wheel, but If I were to run a 275/30 on an 11" wheel would you be saying the same thing? A few manufacturers say that size combo is good fitment. (Including General UHP). I would also say that the Rim Width Range can be interpreted differently when comparing between manufacturers. That is also like Volk recommending that you run an 18x8.5 and 18x9 +29 with a 225/245.

I am between Winter Park and UCF Area in Orlando.

I think I have posted the money shot ... it consisted of a $1 bill and 4 quarters.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 PM
drumma022

A 10.5" rim is not meant for a 265/30 tire. Your handling and grip are going to be terrible especially when you toss on all that negative camber making you lose even more contact patch
This all depends on the type of driving AND varies from case to case ... In example, On our race cars at work, we had previously run a 225/45/17 on the front tires. After talking to the tire manufacurers engineers for a bit, we tried a 215/40/17 up front. This is on a 17x9 wheel and runnning -2.8 deg camber. Even with 10mm less width, and 5% less sidewall, the traction up front was amazingly different and drove with noticably less understeer.

The handling, from what I have experienced, is still better than the stock setup and when I am keeping up and having fun with Evo 8's, I am happy with the current setup. Besides, If I ever have a track event or would want to drive aggressively, I have 17x9 +17 back at our shop mounted with Kumho MX tires and many many tire choices available.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
There was nothing cryptic about it. If you had followed the first part of my advice and done some research you would have understood my statement. He stated that he would not need to be buying tires soon cause he got 400 treadwear rated General tires. My point was to tell him that he should have researched real people's experience with those tires instead of going with the biggest treadwear number like most people do. Treadwear ratings are VERY often misleading when comparing between manufacturers. My statement was a very gross example but is still possible. I have worked tires before. I know how long a Douglas X-Trac Wal Mart base tire will last when compared to a Michelin of a lesser tread rating.
It was cryptic because it excluded what you said in the above quotation...
now that you've explained what you meant, I understand what you're saying.

[edit] For the record, I didn't know that treadwear ratings were misleading, I thought they were compared to a standardized 100 rating. I understood that that in general, 200 is supposed to mean twice as long-lasting or something to that effect. I didn't know that one brand versus another brand may have different standards for treadwear ratings. [/edit]

In your first statement, it sounded like you knew something he didn't regarding the specific tires in question.

On a side note, if I had given a shyte about the tires in question, I would have done research on them. So please don't patronize me for not following your advice, especially when it was directed towards another person.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 08-23-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by drumma022
True, a 265/30 is recommended on a 10" wheel, but If I were to run a 275/30 on an 11" wheel would you be saying the same thing?
Yes, I would have in fact been even more disgusted. A 10.5 should have at least a 275 and prefereably a 295.

An 11" 295-315
Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 AM
FreeThinker

Your camber is beyond poor... please repost after the camber fix is in place. Also, if you plan on taking out some of that camber, be prepared to order some toe bolts to aid you in getting back to spec.

You have the potential to have a great look there .... it just right now looks terribly done.

just my thoughts, and I do realize you feel otherwise ... but I felt it needed to be posted.

Jim
Stop posting your criticism filled opinions as fact.

"Potential to look great" ???? I think it does look great, See that phrase 'I think' ? yea, you might start using it so you look like less of an ***. Or 'I feel' , 'I am of the opinion'.. etc. etc. et al

And protection? Maybe not all of us drive around running into curbs everywhere. It wasnt so long ago that not a single tyre came with a rim protector bead.

A narrower tyre also allows for a meaty look, with less rotational inertia and a stiffer sidewall feel than the tire already has. Plus flush mount while still clearing the fender lip.

If you look at the measured section width on the BFG chart it actually is 10.7 on the 265/30-19, and gee mate, the wheel is nearly that same width. This is not a hardcore stretch at all. It's within 1/2 inch of the recommended wheel width.

Another thing, you will hardly find a successful professional roadrace car that doesnt run the MAX recommended wheel width for their tyres, and many often go slightly wider wheel than recommended.

There, FACT not OPINION.

Here's some more fact for you.

A very common racing tyre size is a 330/650-18 and is normally mounted on a 18x13 wheel. Funny how a 330 tyre works out to almost exactly 13 inches!!!

And since I doubt you are nearly as familiar with racecars as I am, I thought I might also share with you that the 650 profile is actually not a percentage/aspect ratio as in normal road tyres, but is a simple sidewall size (in this case a 65mm sidewall). Just for your enlightenment

So please, do tell me I am wrong, so I can drop even more reality your way.

And one more thing, just for anyones info, I'm not terribly familiar with the range of adjustment in the rear of the Z33, but so long as toe is in spec, the car won't wear tyres abnormally. They will last just fine unless he does burnouts with that camber. It's a very common misconception, but BAD TOE is what kills tyres, NOT CAMBER.

Cheers,
Sean

Last edited by FreeThinker; 08-24-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by FreeThinker
A narrower tyre also allows for a meaty look
New to the states eh. I thought only Canadians and British spelled tire "tyre". Anyways, you are going to have to explain this statement to me. Why would a narrower tire look more meaty than a wider one?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:12 AM
drumma022

Yes, I would have in fact been even more disgusted. A 10.5 should have at least a 275 and prefereably a 295.

An 11" 295-315
Look at some various manufacturers .. they say a 275/30 can be run based on their recommendation. Including GENERAL .... LINK: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...e1=yes&place=8

BFG says a 275/35 is within their recommendation for an 11"

Yokahama says a 265/30 is within recommendation for a 10.5" and a 275/30 for an 11".

Similar results with Pirelli.

So your statement on what tire should fit a 10.5" or 11" is based on personal opinion and not on manufcaturers recommendation.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
JimRHIT

I posted this ...

Jim

before you said this...

"Potential to look great" ???? I think it does look great, See that phrase 'I think' ? yea, you might start using it so you look like less of an ***. Or 'I feel'
now I am suggesting that you try reading before you post ... so in the future you can take your own advice and maybe, just maybe

you might start using it so you look like less of an ***
As for the tire size ... well, ask any racer, and REAL racer ... it doesn't matter if your tires don't fit by a half inch or a mile ... fitting is fitting

I rest my case
Thank you
Old 08-24-2005, 09:59 AM
FreeThinker

I guess 10 podium finishes in 10 races means my team weren't REAL racers....

To clarify the meaty look comment: if you read, I was referring to the same tyre having a more meaty look when mounted on a wider wheel, yet having less inertia than a tyre say 20mm wider on the same wheel.

Example: a 225 tyre on a 9in wheel looks like a much wider tyre than when a 225 is mounted on a 7in wide wheel, and has much better performance too.

Oh and I was born and raised here in S. Florida. "Tyre" is simply the proper spelling. "Tire" is a verb meaning "to become exhausted" which through the lexicon of American English, became common mispelling, and now is pretty much standard.

And finally:

Sounds a lot like you posting your biased opinion as styling fact and advice (unwanted advice I should add)

-Sean
Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Zexy

Sounds a lot like you posting your biased opinion as styling fact and advice (unwanted advice I should add)

-Sean
+1... I can understand an opinion but a bit too harsh as well. This guy is an *******? Positive.

Quick Reply: SF-Chal +11 Slammed on stock fenders!