Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:35 PM
atar350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Questions

I have Racing Hart C4's, I was using the Hot wheel Rim cleaner that Meguiars makes, and SAYS is safe for all rims. After a couple months, I quickly learned my lesson. The front driver side wheel has some small, but not really noticable chips in the clear coat, I dont want anymore to happen so I threw the **** away.

Anyways, I have noticed that my lips on the rims are kind of foggy. After driving around to local wheel shops(Les Schwab, Americas Tire, Firestone) I found out that all of them know nothing when it comes to machined wheels...they kept recomending stuff that would completley damage my wheel.

Should I treat the rims like my car, and just use some car wax and polish them? Thanks guys!

***I have also heard of this stuff called wheel wax? Is it the right kind of stuff?

Last edited by atar350; 08-25-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are clear coated you can use any good wax. If they are just machined or polished use a regular metal polish. Sounds like yours are clear coated so hit it with some wax just like you would your paint.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
If they are clear coated you can use any good wax. If they are just machined or polished use a regular metal polish. Sounds like yours are clear coated so hit it with some wax just like you would your paint.
I agree. Many wheel problems are the result of owners using too strong a cleaner. The cleaner removes the delicate finish. Dirt adheres to the wheels, and is more difficult to remove. Then the owner must move on to a stronger cleaner. For most wheels, clean the same as you would clean the car’s paint.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

I had the same problem with the local shops as you. None of them have any idea how to keep a nicer wheel clean and what products are safe. I have been cleaning them with the same type of car wash that I do my car, and then apply the mothers polish to lip to keep it nice. And I'm meaning to order the wheel wax, but have been kind of lazy.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
atar350

They really dont know about the nicer wheels, all they know is the lower priced bare metal wheels they have in the shop....

Yeah but I hear wheel wax isnt good for the clear coat now?

I will be cleaning the wheels later with soap and water, and then I will hit it with my Gold Class Meguiars car wax.....sigh. Hopefully my lip will bling like this again....The mesh part of the wheels is a chrome silver, matches exactly to the paint of chrome silver, and the lip looks like a nicer version of our brushed aluminum interior, except after that wheel cleaner a a couple months, my lip is a little foggy.....

Wonder if we should send an email to Meguiars, mayb
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Questions-best3.jpg