Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Powdercoating Track Rays?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
03_Track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating Track Rays?

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a set of 18 or 19" wheels that are black with a polished lip, that I can afford. Hehe thats not too many apparently. I am now at the point where I need to make a decision. Should I just wait and save up and spend BIG cash later? Or should I get the factory track edition wheels I already have polished black in the same paint as the car and then polish the lip? It's really hard to beat the factory wheel's weight without dropping in big bucks, so it's like I'd be paying to lessen performance just for the look I'd want. I'm really looking at just making the ray's the color scheme I want, but after doing that there's no turning back. I doubt I'd be able to sell the ray's after they are black with a machined lip... Your thoughts?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
03_Track_Z

actually my biggest problem at this point is finding out about polishing the lip, i cant find any place that will do it, i can find places that will paint it silver, but nobody polishes. any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A decent powder coat will set you back about $150. As mentioned, cutting and turning a polished lip may be a problem. If possible, the man-hours required may be too expensive. A painted silver lip may be your only alternative.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 PM
drsifu

these are not track wheels, nor are they black, but you can get the idea of what powdercoating can get you.

you can prolly get your track wheels powdercoated a gloss black with the lip powdercoated silver. it won't give you the same look as polished, but then again, beggars can't be choosers

the powdercoating process was done by Mike (SN: 2003Z). try pming him for details and ask what options are available and pricing and what not.

here's some pics of his other work:

Powdercoat Link

Last edited by drsifu; 08-26-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:44 AM
03_Track_Z

is powdercoating the same thing as painting? im a newbie...
Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Chicken

What Is Powder Coating?

Powder coating is an advanced method of applying a decorative and protective finish to a wide range of materials and products that are used by both industries and consumers. The powder used for the process is a mixture of finely ground particles of pigment and resin, which is sprayed onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces until heated and fused into a smooth coating in a curing oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high-quality, and attractive finish.

Source: http://www.powdercoating.org/benefits