New 18's are on pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 09:23 AM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 18's are on pics inside

I went from stock 17 7.5 with 225/50 front ans 235/50 rear
to 18.5 all around and 235/40 front and 275/40 rear

When I shipped the stock rims and tires they weighed in at 62 pounds boxed! I think I gained a total of roughly 40 pounds in weight reduction but more importantly my car just has more of a sport suspension feel to it now for some reason. I just grips the road like glue.

The Rims are ATS Cletus Powder Coated Hyper Silver and the tires are Nitto 555 Extreme Performance Models.

The color of the rims matches my door perfectly buy I think I prefer more chrome. Opinions?

Old stock rims/tires in 17

New 18's

Sorry, it's been pouring here (flooding) and I still need to detail my car!
Old 12-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Stone Z

Thumbs down

Not feelin' those at all, but as long as you like them, that's really all that matters.

Congrats!
Old 12-21-2002, 09:36 AM
Throbber

I like them, they look nice. How much and where did you get them? Whats the offset?
Old 12-21-2002, 09:38 AM
LithossZ

Default Looks good

I like those man, looks great. These are the first rims that i've seen that look better than the stock ones, IMO. nice work
Old 12-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Mr Fairlady

Default hmmmm

Not really my style @ all either,..but he's right,.if you like em,.Thats all that matters
Old 12-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Stone Z

Exclamation

One other thing I noticed......

You've got a 275 tire on a wheel that isn't wide enough to handle that wide of a tire. The least recommended width for a 275 tire is 9" wide wheel. If you look at the picture you posted you can see how the sidewall slants in on the wheel because it's not wide enough.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:06 PM
DrDrilZ

Originally posted by Dlovtsur
One other thing I noticed......

You've got a 275 tire on a wheel that isn't wide enough to handle that wide of a tire. The least recommended width for a 275 tire is 9" wide wheel. If you look at the picture you posted you can see how the sidewall slants in on the wheel because it's not wide enough.
yeah the rear rim is too narrow for that tire. seems like that would actually hurt the performance and safety.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:16 PM
Loaded_Pistol
Banned

Do you want me to lie or be straight out brutal?
Old 12-21-2002, 08:45 PM
12SecZ

I like them, they look nice. How much and where did you get them? Whats the offset?
America's Tires aka Discout Tire and Wheel

I punched in 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Auto.

Thanks for those that complimented. I get looks everywhere and they are different than every other wheel in town, the offset is 2mm off the stock 7.5's so you basicly break even because they are 8.5's.

I had 315's on my FireHawk (DR's) running at 16psi *hot* and ran a 12.1 with a "slight bulge" like this LOL!

America's had the air pressure a little high and I lowered it a tad and that helped. The "bulge" is still there although not as noticable and this has a slight advantage, it keeps you from scraping your rims up !!!!!!

Let me add my thoughts since it seems 75% of the people don't like them and 25% do.

1. They are original, no others in town.
2. They match the door handles perfectly
(Hyper Silver Powder Coat Alloy )
3. They are *much* lighter than the bulky stock rims despite the fact they are wider
4. They handle like a dream. Only I can vouch for this because I drove both rims and these rims and tires handle tremendously!
I couldn't stop driving today. it was like a new car. Of course I redid my exhaust too so....

The more I look at them the more I like them. Ever have something seem just so so then suddenly start growing on you?
Like a song for instance? The more you listen to it the more you like it? I am considering having them chrome dipped but then I add more weight again!

And most importantly as everyone mentioned, I like them!

Thanks for every's input!!
Old 12-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Loaded_Pistol
Banned

I never thought I would say this to anyone: "Put Your Stock Rims Back On ASAP!!!!"

Last edited by Loaded_Pistol; 12-21-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:05 PM
12SecZ

I never thought I would say this to anyone: "Put Your Stock Rims Back On ASAP!!!!"
No thanks,

Post a link to your Z and it's mods and I will be happy to slam you back though, since you're so thoughtful and all.

You could have said, "It's not what I would do, or I hate them, or you suck at modding etc.

I ask for advice here , formulate my own opinion then update what I did with pics for others . If you don't like it I don't mind that either, not in the least.

What I **DON'T** do is take orders from you or anyone else.
No offense but you can save those type of comments in the future ok?

I hated the stock rims. I sold them to a guy in Canada. They are enroute, he is a poster here. I'm sure he will love them. Opionions vary.

Thanks for being honest though, I apreciate that as I have to work with 80 % liars all day long for aliving and it gets old fast, I will give you that much credit! But that's about it.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:32 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MaxHax
Post a link to your Z and it's mods and I will be happy to slam you back though, since you're so thoughtful and all.

I dont think he meant to slam you, he was just being honest.

Your rims are not my cup of tea either, but thats just my opinion. Your car would get looks right now even with 15 inch hubcaps. Dont chalk it up to having new rims.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:23 AM
z461

Yea..the Z gets looks no matter what rims its on. I'm not feelin those wheels either. And whats with the offsets and widths? It's sticking in just as much as stock, and your rear tire looks all funky because it's too wide for the 8.5 inch rim. I'm sorry dude... Not my cup of tea either..
Old 12-22-2002, 06:44 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New 18's

Originally posted by MaxHax
I went from stock 17 7.5 with 225/50 front ans 235/50 rear
to 18.5 all around and 235/40 front and 275/40 rear

When I shipped the stock rims and tires they weighed in at 62 pounds boxed! I think I gained a total of roughly 40 pounds in weight reduction but more importantly my car just has more of a sport suspension feel to it now for some reason. I just grips the road like glue.

Hey Max! Those rims are not my cup of tea either but they certainly ae distinctive. (Hey - if there were no diversity we would all be driving Yugos, right? :^) ) Congrats! I wanted to also confirm your statement above. I know that the 17" stock rims are 23 pounds apiece by themselves, so your quoted "62 pounds boxed" for rims and tires must be more like 162 or 262, right? What is the actual weight of the 18" rims and tires you have on? The stock Nissan 18" setup is 204 pounds for 4 rims/tires, and the Ray's 18" are 164 pounds total.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:06 AM
deltaboxr1

Those wheels are a definite improvement over the stock 17's,Looks good man.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:04 AM
12SecZ

Thumbs up Sorry

I didn't mean to slam the pistol due,
it's was just a bad nite, I'm sure he didn't mean to be mean,

I should have went a little wider in back, and probably will go an inch wider and return these telling them they don't fit right.
I think they will work with me o this, as for the style though, I like them.

The weight was 62 pounds each with the tire still on mounted and balanced (per wheel!)

These rims are 17 pounds alloy racing wheels, very light.
I will try and find some specs on them.

It just sucks to think you spent 200 shipping to send some rims to Canada to hear that the rims and tires you spent 2k for look like crap.

I still like them. I need to address the rear size issue though, being a good customer I think they will work with me.

One can always hope!
Old 12-22-2002, 08:09 AM
12SecZ

Default This is all I could find on the rim

Cetus
Best Seller!

18X8 5-114.3 38HS (65212)
How to read wheel sizes

For the last 30 years the ATS Group has been one of the international pioneers in the field of the fascinating development of light alloy wheels. ATS products go to the most famous car manufacturer that demand quality without compromise.

Finish: Hyper Silver
Silver powder coat with a very thick high gloss shine appearance

I don't see anything wider. Suggestions????? 38 is the offset HS is Hyper Silver.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:22 AM
apharmdb

I like them. They remind me of another cars stock rims that I can't quite place my finger on. Later model RX7? Don't know. Anyway, hope you are enjoying the new car and the new rims!
Old 12-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Wicked4u2c

They are OK... I wouldn't put them on my car per say. I agree, the stock do look better as in design but what's importatnt is what "you" like because its your car and not anyone else. Just remember when you post your car in the internet be expecting to get flamed because it does happen. If you don't want to get flamed than don't post your car, your posting to get opinion and people will let you know. Again, its all "you". And yes, they do look like a stock rim of another manufacture im thinking like BMW Z4? Im not sure....

Quick Reply: New 18's are on pics inside