Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Help again, tire sizes! VDC happiness, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 08:32 AM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help again, tire sizes! VDC happiness, etc..

Hi folks

I'm in the process of purchasing wheels and tires right now for my soon-to-be-Z. The vendor I'm working with (who is on this forum, so I'm not naming names) is very knowledgeable about the whole wheel/tire thing. Not much of a slouch myself, but when it comes to offsets, clearances, etc for a car I've never owned, I need a bit of help.

One of my biggest concerns has been upsetting the VDC/Traction control system with the tire diameters front-to-rear. As with any subject, every 350z forum on the internet has a different opinion/approach on the "facts" as to how this system works. I've read "conclusive" posts that suggest the VDC operates based on keeping the overall wheel/tire diameters within 5% of the OEM size. I've also read "conclusive" posts saying that overall diameters front-to-rear must be greater than 5% to maintain a happy VDC system.

So, at this point I don't much care about the "why", because it seems folks do not agree on that anyway. What I really want to know is what will be the impact(s) of the overall diameters I have chosen.

The vendor I'm working with assures me that there will be no problems with the sizes I've chosen, and if I find that the VDC interferes too often then I can just disable it. Well, that sounds good, but if I disable it then am I going to have a "VDC Off" light or "Traction Control Light" or something like that in my face every time I drive? That would be annoying...

I really wish I could learn more about the the VDC but the forum software (which everyone uses the same one) does not allow for 3-letter searches. So I cannot search for "VDC". I've searched every other alternative for how to say "VDC", but I turn up very little.

Please check out the attachment on this post. Using 1010.com's tire calc, I have two comparisons. The first provides the front-to-rear comparison of the OEM setup on the 06 (245/40x18(f), 265/40x19(r)). The second table shows the front-to-rear comparison of the TE37s I have ordered (245/30x19, 285/30x19).

Looking at the overall diameter comparison front-to-rear, there is slightly more than 5% difference in the OEM diameters. However the TE37s have almost 0% difference front-to-rear.

What will be the impact of going with this setup? Will my VDC work properly at all, or always overcompensate? With the diameters so close will turning the VDC off matter? (I understand that the VDC is never completely "off").

If I turn the VDC off, is there some kind of warning/idiot light in my face telling me I've turned it off? I imagine there are 1000 posts about this but I simply have no ability to search for them.

Folks with experience here please chime in. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

-Smoky
Attached Files
File Type: doc
OEM vs TE37 diameters.doc (72.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 AM
SmokyTyrz

Anyone?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep browsing the forums. This topic has been covered countless times.

You posted a lot of information, but not what was pertinent to your question.

I'll offer some information, hopefully it will help you.

If you got: 19x8.5" front and 19x9.5" front, get 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear.
If you got: 19x9.5" front and 19x10.5" rear, get 255/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear.

This isn't the only fitment that will work, but it's what I suggest personally.

If you are having trouble, google for a tire calculator.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 AM
SmokyTyrz

Hmmm...well, your suggestions are sound, and I've tried each one of them.
Searching for VDC on this forum seems to work. But no one seems to provide direct answers. Things are always a little hazy.

Searching for tire size posts yields 90% useless results. I've read them all anyway. That's where I got the conflicting info of why the VDC goes off in relation to tire diameters.

Also not sure what other pertinent info I needed to add? Could you maybe let me know what I left out? Cuz I was asking about how overall tire diameters front/rear impact the VDC. Then I posted the tire sizes I was using, and provided a chart (don't forget that attachment! ) showing the front/rear comparisons between overall diameters of stock vs the new tire/wheel combo.

What did I leave out? Please let me know because I've been very surprised that this post yielded no response. Surprisingly no other wheel/tire/vdc post gets this specific about "what is the impact". I can tell by the number of viewers that folks must be interested. I was beginning to think the lack of replies was becase no one really knows how the VDC works and how tire sizes impact the functionality of the VDC.

Thx
-Smoky