Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
350doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

I have just put an order in for four new shoes in preparation for my winter trip to the far reaches of Europe (also ordered snow chains). Am planning to drive through Austria, Hungary and into Romania this winter.

I have done a fair amount of research into what tires to buy. My shortlist included Michelin Pilot Alpin IIs, Pirelli 240 sottozero, Bridgestone Blizzaks and Vredestein Wintrac Extreme.

Most of these tires are only available (in the U.K as standard sizes; we are on 225/45 R18 on the front and 245/45 R18 on the rear as standard) for either the front or the rear tires.

It seems especially important that winter tires are fitted to all four wheels, to prevent a difference in traction from front and rear.

The only tires I could find which were the same brand and model were the Vredestein Wintrac Extreme. I must admit, I hadn't heard much about them before; but, having looked into it, they are well respected for making winter tyres.

Something else that gave me confidence to go for the Vredesteins is that the 350Z is actually listed on their website, and they recommend both summer and winter tires (as well as what pressure to inflate them to). Interestingly, Vredestein recommend that their winter tires, when fitted on the Zed, are inflated to a higher pressure on the rear than on the front (in reverse to their recommendation to their summer tires).

I did think very carefully about getting Pirellis, as I am very happy with my P Zero Rossos. Unfortunately, if I went Pirelli, i would have to different tires to the front and rear: 240 Sottozeros to the rear (designed for high performance winter driving), and mid performance tyres to the front. Given that Pirelli specifically recommend that all 4 tires should be the same, I decided not to go for them. A similar decision making process made me not choose Dunlops, Michelins, Bridgestones (these companies didn't make tires for all for wheels, so i would have had to have had mixed brands).

I have also bought some snow chains.

Given the severe winter we have been forecast in the United Kindgom (Ok nowehre near as bad as Canada/Alaska etc), my experiences driving on the Austria-Germany border in winter 2 years ago, and my trip across the Alps and through Transylvania; I have chose the most cautious option for winter driving (apart from garaging the Zed for the winter).

One minor disappointment; Vredestein do make W (good for 168 mph) rated Wintrac Extremes, but not for the Zed (they ma V rated (Good for 149 mph) for the Zed, as per every other manufacturer). Should conditions allow, Autobahn driving might be restricted (No speed limit).

Last edited by 350doc; 10-25-2005 at 04:01 PM.