Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:55 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) Q's

Tried do a search but suprisingly came up with nothing. I found several threads asking a similar questions but no real answers. My questions are as follow:

1. If you remove your wheels with the TPS, how did you disable the system from indicating the low tire warning?

2. If you removed the enitire system, what do you need to remove & how? Any DIY instructions?

3. If you sell your wheels with the TPS included, would the buyer be able to utilize them if they already have a system in place or does it require them to have the original system it came with?

4. I heard that the dealership can also reprogram it but will they be willing to do it with your aftermarket wheels?

I'm thinking of buying new wheels but the my TP sensors may not be able to work with the wheels I'm planning on getting. So I'm probably going to sell my current wheels with the TPS but I'd have to somehow remove/disable the main system itself that is installed on the car. I'm also just making sure that the buyer will be able to utilize it if I do include them in the sale. Just confused...

TIA...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the someone else uses your TPS would they would on another car or have to be reprogrammed to work. I also have found no threads as how to disable the TPS warning other than just ignoring it but that seems lame to just ignore the warning and have the light staring at you all the time
Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by Ed 718
I wonder if the someone else uses your TPS would they would on another car or have to be reprogrammed to work. I also have found no threads as how to disable the TPS warning other than just ignoring it but that seems lame to just ignore the warning and have the light staring at you all the time
I'm curious as well. It pretty much ties in with question #3. Yeah, I've read several hack suggestions from just ignoring it to placing a sticker so you don't see the waring but I'd like to know how to properly disable it the "right" way.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other thing I was the TPS reads off a frequency so maybe someone else would have to reprogramm the TPS....I was even thining of selling mine until I read of the light always being on
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other threads indicated that if you go to the dealer with TPS sensors from another car, they can set them to work with your system. Cost about 40 bucks.

--Sam
Old 02-05-2006, 12:05 PM
~~O8>

You cannot disable the warning if you remove your stocks with the sensors, the tire pressure warning light will come on on the dash after about 40 mins of driving. Not sure how easy it is to remove the whole system, have yet to see it posted on the forum. You don't need the orginal sensors to match the unit in the car as long as the sensors are the same stock ones.

Nissan charges around $88 bucks for labor to reset the sensors, Infiniti charges around $100 (those were the quotes I recieved when I had this done). The sensors are the same for G's and Z's.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
ssc

answers:
1- from what i've read no one has successfully disbaled the TPS...i think some guy said a while ago that he knew some other dude at a dealership that knew how but....who knows....

2- removing the entire system doesnt seem like a good option...prolly a major PITA....havent heard anyone doing this just to get rid of the warning light

3-yes, they will be able to use it as long as they get it reset at the dealership

4-only the "mod-friendly" dealerships will do it....some dealerships dont want to have anything to do with you if u have any sort of mods
Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 PM
jdg345

I'm going through the same thing ... I finally decided to go with wheels that will take the TPS system -- problem is everything I've liked (and can afford) thusfar hasn't been tried before.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

as for your #1 question, i sold my stock wheel and put in the aftermarket wheel, i didn't see the system indicating the low tire warning at all. No blinking
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Ep3

i have changed my wheels twice.. the first time when my stock tires were reading ok 35/35 and swapped to g35c rims with no sensors, a light only came on after long highway drives and would go away after i turn off and turn the car back on.. now with my new rims i had the stockers back on and they were reading low b/c i have the car sitting for the winter and the light was tripped.. now with the new rims/tires the light is constant so b4 you switch the rims with no sensors over just make sure it has a good reading with no light b4 you do the swap!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM
bobig

i recently had my TPMS removed from my stock 18's and installed on my nismo 19's. the shop put the sensors back in the same position on the car. everything works fine. no reprogramming was needed.

yesterday, i put back on my stock 18's (long story)...the system is not indicating any warning noise or light. no blinking...just a blank PSI reading.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Hmm? I've got some interesting comments in regards to the TPS being removed...some get the low tire pressure warning & some don't. Wonder what's causing it to react one way vs. the other? If mine just simply doesn't read a tire reading when I remove them then it's no problem but if the warning light goes on, that's definitely going to be a problem for me. Guess I'll have to try it out to find out what mine does. Just curious, for those that DO get the warning...what year & model is your Z? Same question for those that DON't get the warning. Also, how long has it been since you removed your TPS.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 02-06-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

05 AT. removed TPS for more than a year already.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM
bilinghm

When I bought new wheels, I got a new set of senors from Ebay ($125). The sensors are manufactured by an English company named Schrader. You can find them on the net and learn a lot about how the sensors work, etc.

I installed them, but drove for several weeks before visiting the dealer. Without the required dealer "reprograming", the PSI read zero, and tiny "PSI" flashing lettering appeared on the bottom edge of the multimeter. Also, the tire pressure warning icon is lit up below the fuel guage. The icon is really bright at night. The dealer charged $45 to reset the computer to the "learn mode", and everything now works perfectly.

I am convinced that there is no way to disable the PSI feature, it is built into the car computer software/hardware. There is a sensor in each wheel well that knows if the wheel sensor is missing/damaged/ inoperable. For safety reasons, it will constantly remind you that something is wrong.