Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

BIG PROBLEM with my Axis Hiros...And a Question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
syf0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BIG PROBLEM with my Axis Hiros...And a Question!

As I was washing my car yesterday, I noticed a SERIOUS problem with one of my wheels -- it's CRACKED!!!

At first I thought this was probably my fault -- although I never drive over big bumps, potholes, etc. and take good care of the wheels, I've had them for more than a year and I thought they might be out of warranty or whatever, if such a thing exists for wheels.

Then a friend of mine, upon examining the wheel, pointed out something very interesting -- the same crack exists on literally every spoke, on both sides, at exactly the same place. Disturbing information, to say the least. I promptly removed all the wheels and checked them with a flashlight. So far the front right is the only one with visible cracking, but who's to say for sure???

I am almost positive this qualifies as a manufacturing defect. The crack runs against the direction of the spoke -- I've attatched a photo below. Surely no type of driving could cause a wheel to do that on every support at the exact same place. I spent some time thinking about it, and I could not devise one realistic possibility for how this possibly happened...short of a manufacturing problem. Here's a picture of ONE of the cracks:

This is a photo of one of the cracks with the whole spoke so you can see where it is:

Here is a closeup (100% crop) of the same photo for a detail of one of the cracks:

For reference, I used an small LED flashlight to highlight the crack in those photos so you can see it clearly. Remember, those cracks are on both sides of every spoke on that wheel, at exactly the same place and are nearly identical in terms of length, depth, etc.

I am curious as to how I should proceed and/or contact the manufacturer. I am more than a little frightened about how/why this happened, what it means for the rest of my wheels, and what it means for the quality of these types of wheels overall or the production run. Thoughts? Should I be trying to get a new wheel from them? A whole new set?

Regardless of what I do, I'm certainly glad I noticed this before it reached critical mass -- I can't even imagine what would happen if I were driving down the highway and the wheel shattered!

In the mean time, I'm going to be removing these and running on my race wheels and a set of almost corded slicks (this is my daily, I have to drive it) until such a time that I can find a solution.

Advice/Thoughts greatly appreciated!!! For the record, I would rather settle this with Axis and continue to use their wheels than switch to another company. I love the Hiros and have recieved many compliments on them...
Old 02-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got mine Today and seems to be a problem with some of the Hiro's. I was assured if the wheel did crack they would replace them no questions asked. I would contact Axis and see what they tell you......good luck
Old 02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Tortuga

This is a known problem with a certain "batch" of Hiros. Do a search and you will find some threads about it. As far as I know Axis will replace the wheel and are good about this. When did you purchase your wheels, how long ago? Maybe you just purchased from that "batch".
Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the photos. The wheels do not look safe for driving.

1. Contact the seller with the photos.
2. If the seller does not help, contact Axis Corporate Headquarters.
3. If they do not help contact the BBB in the home state of the seller. Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:24 PM
syf0n

Originally Posted by Tortuga
When did you purchase your wheels, how long ago? Maybe you just purchased from that "batch".
I was one of the first people to have them. I got them two summers ago. I think I am in this group...!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by syf0n
I was one of the first people to have them. I got them two summers ago. I think I am in this group...!
You were scaring me buddy as I just slapped mine on TODAY
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 PM
ahwai519

Originally Posted by Ed 718
You were scaring me buddy as I just slapped mine on TODAY
ed, thanks for the hook up and i will get an answer on tuesday....

btw, post some pics....
Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by ahwai519
ed, thanks for the hook up and i will get an answer on tuesday....

btw, post some pics....
No worries bro and Henrik is trustworthy as I said before......I saw him today when I picked up my Hiro's
Old 02-11-2006, 10:36 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt take hiros if you payed me to run them on my car. hell even a 5 mile and hour rim break can send you into oncoming traffic! i would turn around and throw those rims right in the garbage! but hey i geuss im the only one that does 100+ mph runs daily. BEst of luck to you and godspeed
Old 02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
michaeljr6

i really liked the Axis HS Hiro, but after reading a bunch of threads about cracking and such. i'm afraid of purchasing one now. i don't want to go through all the trouble of shipping and waiting for a new set of wheels, it's just time consuming and pointless. owell, axis lost one of it's potential customer. if axis were to test each batch they made before releasing them to the market, i'm 100% positive this wouldn't happen. goodluck and get your money back.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

call Axis first thing on Monday. They will replace a new one for you.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by Bubble
call Axis first thing on Monday. They will replace a new one for you.
get your money back, dont' replace the wheels. save a little bit more and get your refund money, and buy some better quality wheels.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
i really liked the Axis HS Hiro, but after reading a bunch of threads about cracking and such. i'm afraid of purchasing one now. i don't want to go through all the trouble of shipping and waiting for a new set of wheels, it's just time consuming and pointless. owell, axis lost one of it's potential customer. if axis were to test each batch they made before releasing them to the market, i'm 100% positive this wouldn't happen. goodluck and get your money back.

Ninety-percent of 350Z drivers will not select wheels such as the Gram Light 57F above. It is not a fancy looking wheel. But it is forged monoblock construction. That kind of quality costs $500.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hiros are known for cracking. I wouldn't touch axis wheels with a 10 foot pole. James Chen is definitely smart and is making good money, but it seems as though true quality parts is the last thing on his mind.

I would get them replaced and sell them asap and get better rims. Just my .02
Old 02-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

Ninety-percent of 350Z drivers will not select wheels such as the Gram Light 57F above. It is not a fancy looking wheel. But it is forged monoblock construction. That kind of quality costs $500.
lol just caused its forged doesnt mean jack, ive seen plenty of bent up Forged Volks and other wheels all bent up from daily driving but it doesnt hurt either. I just hope my GT-7's hold up for awhile.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:45 PM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by syf0n
As I was washing my car yesterday, I noticed a SERIOUS problem with one of my wheels -- it's CRACKED!!!

At first I thought this was probably my fault -- although I never drive over big bumps, potholes, etc. and take good care of the wheels, I've had them for more than a year and I thought they might be out of warranty or whatever, if such a thing exists for wheels.

Then a friend of mine, upon examining the wheel, pointed out something very interesting -- the same crack exists on literally every spoke, on both sides, at exactly the same place. Disturbing information, to say the least. I promptly removed all the wheels and checked them with a flashlight. So far the front right is the only one with visible cracking, but who's to say for sure???

I am almost positive this qualifies as a manufacturing defect. The crack runs against the direction of the spoke -- I've attatched a photo below. Surely no type of driving could cause a wheel to do that on every support at the exact same place. I spent some time thinking about it, and I could not devise one realistic possibility for how this possibly happened...short of a manufacturing problem. Here's a picture of ONE of the cracks:

This is a photo of one of the cracks with the whole spoke so you can see where it is:

Here is a closeup (100% crop) of the same photo for a detail of one of the cracks:

For reference, I used an small LED flashlight to highlight the crack in those photos so you can see it clearly. Remember, those cracks are on both sides of every spoke on that wheel, at exactly the same place and are nearly identical in terms of length, depth, etc.

I am curious as to how I should proceed and/or contact the manufacturer. I am more than a little frightened about how/why this happened, what it means for the rest of my wheels, and what it means for the quality of these types of wheels overall or the production run. Thoughts? Should I be trying to get a new wheel from them? A whole new set?

Regardless of what I do, I'm certainly glad I noticed this before it reached critical mass -- I can't even imagine what would happen if I were driving down the highway and the wheel shattered!

In the mean time, I'm going to be removing these and running on my race wheels and a set of almost corded slicks (this is my daily, I have to drive it) until such a time that I can find a solution.

Advice/Thoughts greatly appreciated!!! For the record, I would rather settle this with Axis and continue to use their wheels than switch to another company. I love the Hiros and have recieved many compliments on them...

Thats some scary ****!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
lol just caused its forged doesnt mean jack, ive seen plenty of bent up Forged Volks and other wheels all bent up from daily driving but it doesnt hurt either. I just hope my GT-7's hold up for awhile.
I think it helps to have bigger tire profiles and wider treads, whenever possible. Like I've seen plenty of people doing 275/30/19 in the rear, which is less protection against nasty potholes compared to 275/35/19 or even 285/35 or 295/30.

Of course if the Axis have a factory defect, that just sucks and there's nothing that thicker tires can do to help. Sorry to hear about the cracks, guys.

My next wheels are definitely going to be forged monoblock, I love forged lip/cast center 2-piece look but I feel the quality of the monoblock is much better.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:48 PM
thReeFiFtee

that's dangerous to drive on.. sheesh.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
My next wheels are definitely going to be forged monoblock, I love forged lip/cast center 2-piece look but I feel the quality of the monoblock is much better.
Are you thinking of ditching your wheels Wired
Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

RH CPF-Tune. One piece. Extremly lightweight. Look good also.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM with my Axis Hiros...And a Question!