Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

another T1R not-happy thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 AM
SirZaLot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
haven't seen complain from bfg KDW II's user. I switch from Toyo to BFG and just love it.
Isn't kdw 2 very noisy?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
jcpeyton

subscribing
Old 05-21-2006, 07:38 PM
ouch1011

Originally Posted by Bubble
haven't seen complain from bfg KDW II's user. I switch from Toyo to BFG and just love it.
Same here. Granted, this wasn't on a 350Z, since I'm not an owner yet, but it was on another nice-handling car. I switched from Proxes FZ4s to the BF Goodrich KDW2, and the difference was night and day. The performance of the FZ4s was very mediocre in any condition, but the KDW grip like crazy in the dry, and they are very confident in the wet. The only problem I have with them is that the sidewall is so stiff, you cannot spin the tires without them hopping. Maybe not such a problem on a RWD car, but with FWD it is not good.

The KDWs are noisy compared to less agressive tires, but compared to other tires in the same class, its about the same. IMO you don't buy a performance tire without expecting some noise.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Havok_RLS2

I love my Falken 451's! Stable as hell above 150mph and rides like it on rails. Road noise isn't bad at all (about the same as stock). No mushy sidewalls like on the toyos. And on top of all that.... CHEAPER by like $200+.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also running the BFG KDW 2 and coudlnt be happier, I dont know about the noise because my music is always on blast
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SirZaLot
Isn't kdw 2 very noisy?

compare to stock and toyo, just a bit more but you will get used to it. Not VERY noisy though.

Some people doesn't like BFG because it looks too aggressive.

As for Falken, i want to try it out too but they just don't have the size i need for my 20"
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
FirstZ
Banned

I love my Toyo T1rs.

You might have some other issues in mix.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
pedroosan

don't know if there is something else in the mix, maybe the wider wheels? Thats the only thing besides the tires that have changed.

tire pressure: 41-42 / cold ~38

Interestingly on the 275/40/18 rears the label says MAX PRESSURE 44PSI??? That seems kind of low?

My passenger also confirmed what I felt: very smooth ride, slightly wobbly on harder turn ins.

Maybe I should specify what I mean by hard turn in:
90 degree corner approaching at ~50-60mph, last ~50 feet heel-toeing into 2nd, unfortunately don't know how fast I am in the turn maybe around 40?:
With too much trail braking -> VDC or EBD kicked in braking the outside front tire.
With less trail braking and no VDC interference -> T1rs squealed and it felt like the fronts are losing their "rail" and the turn radius increased disgustingly...

When doing the exact same thing with the OEM tires on stock wheels (narrower than the nismos, and 225/245 tires), it felt like driving a train on rails, no squealing, and it felt like my cheek was already pressing against the side window...

I miss that feeling

Chances are that the T1rs with their 200 miles were just not ready yet. Too deep tread pattern and grooves still very very soft.
Maybe with my alignment and tire pressure I am hitting right the spot where the pattern voids are in a tight turn. Who knows...

[Side Note: the above turn in tests were performed in a safe environment and no animals were harmed during the making of the turns ]
Old 05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
ASTIG_Z

You need to give the T1R's time to break in. I thought the same as you but didnt take such an extreme road test as you did. Status guys Rick and Gilbert told me to take it easy for the first 200 miles, then do what you like when the are properly broken in.

As far as driving ability in rain, the tire is great! I drove from Santa Barbara to Irvine last night in heavy rain. I could easily get from 60 => 80 mph with full stability. I couldn't do that with the stock Potenza's. Also there were a lot of puddles on the freeway which I ran through at about 70mph, and the tires gripped just fine! I didnt hydroplane at all.

*******Disclaimer!!! Please do not take my experiences as the truth about these tires. This is only what the Toyo's did for my car and last night's drive******
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 PM
pedroosan

OK I am back with PS2s on the car and I definitely prefer the PS2s @ 0 miles to the T1Rs @ in the end 350 miles.

The T1Rs definitely give a more comfortable ride, some may like it some don't.

The PS2s feel much better in hard cornering.. Couldnt' observe any of the problems I had with the T1r... I think it's due to the T1R's deep grooves near the shoulder and to the PS2s asymmetrical pattern with very little grooves near the outside shoulder.

The T1R may have improved over time, and when shaved or little pattern left, may be totally different...

Anyway although les schwab does ask for quite high prices for tires they don't usually carry, service was great, they treated the wheels well, no problems with TPMS and they took the T1Rs back without any surcharge (even though my receipt is half a year old) .

All in all compared to tirerack+shipping+installation cost I still paid a tiny bit more (high price + 0 installation cost + 0 cost on returning the used t1rs)
but am overall happy that I got rid of the toyos...
Too bad, I like toyo as a brand, and their RA tire is probably the way to go on the track.

BTW: I researched so much about soft sidewalls and came across some posts claiming that the T1S was actually better in that regard than the T1R contrary to what TOYO's marketing says about the T1r.. but not sure if it is true.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Pat D

I am currently on the BFG KDW 2, but I have T1R's on the way (came with the rims I bought). I have a track day in a few weeks, this is not the thread I wanted to read
Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
InSaNeZ

Ever since I bought my Pilots I could never switch to any other tire.
Minimal road noise even at speeds 100+ they are very quiet.
Traction in wet conditions is amazing and cornering is good.
Despite higher prices, they are definitely worth the extra cash.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:35 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I now have about 7,000 miles on my T1 Rs & think they are fine. I don't take the Z to its limits but do run aggressively through twisty-turny roads & have had it up to 135 MPH with Toyos with no problem. Also grips fine in rain. It looks like I'll get about 24,000 miles out of them from wear to date.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:44 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

It's really hard to find a tire for everyone. You seem like you want the most out of your car and just want an awesome dry tire. The thing is the T1R is not that... The T1R is a very nice summer tire as it gives pretty good traction, will do well in the wet, won't make alot of noise for daily driving, and will last a long time. For the average driver this tire is amazing and will fullfill all of their needs.

However this tire is not meant for serious track use as some have tried in this thread. Also you can't judge a tire at 200 miles, you need it to be driven on for a little longer. Also you should check your tire pressures as they might be a bit low, these tires need alot of air to perform well.

All in all its a great tire for the price and I think many people will enjoy it's performance. For those who go for all out performance then you need to look into a better compound that is stiffer or go for R compounds.

-Dan
Old 05-27-2006, 02:51 PM
pedroosan

Originally Posted by WHEELS@subydude
It's really hard to find a tire for everyone. You seem like you want the most out of your car and just want an awesome dry tire. The thing is the T1R is not that... The T1R is a very nice summer tire as it gives pretty good traction, will do well in the wet, won't make alot of noise for daily driving, and will last a long time. For the average driver this tire is amazing and will fullfill all of their needs.

However this tire is not meant for serious track use as some have tried in this thread. Also you can't judge a tire at 200 miles, you need it to be driven on for a little longer. Also you should check your tire pressures as they might be a bit low, these tires need alot of air to perform well.

All in all its a great tire for the price and I think many people will enjoy it's performance. For those who go for all out performance then you need to look into a better compound that is stiffer or go for R compounds.

-Dan

Overall I agree and don't want to make T1R owners unhappy. Everyone knows best whether he likes what he bought or not, and what it's used for.

Regarding pressure I ran it high enough as posted (or should I go higher than 41-42 when on the 275/40/18 it says 44 MAX?)

Regarding 200miles, you are right I don't know how much it would change, I just know that I like the other ones on the same car at 0 miles better.

The t1rs are pretty hyped on this forum, probably for truly being a great deal overall as you said. But the main value of this thread I believe is, to all those tire newbs out there like I was, to not just go with the hype or majority, but to better know what you are planning to do with the tire.

The OEM tires are pretty much everywhere laughed at, reviews and forums alike, so it really raises your expectations when exchanging them...
So the message to the tire newbs from personal experience:
If you keep hearing OEM is bad, T1R is great and go buy one, don't be disappointed, cause you will be comparing apples to pears. I'd say OEM is great for dry track use and you will have a lot more fun with them on the track, and T1rs are for the daily driver interested in treadwear, noise, comfort, hydroplaning performance.....

I guess I had the wrong expectations when buying them, because I had no clue. Thought the agressive pattern looks cool until I found out slicks is what I want...
Old 05-27-2006, 05:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pedroosan
Regarding pressure I ran it high enough as posted (or should I go higher than 41-42 when on the 275/40/18 it says 44 MAX?)
The max pressure rating stamped into every tire made, is NOT the maximum pressure you can put into them, per se. That number is the max pressure at max load. In the case of your 275/40/18 that's 44 psi @ 1709 lbs. With 4 of the tires on the car, you could weigh up to 6836lbs (4*1709) and put 44psi in each. As you lower the weight, you can increase the pressure.

My guess would be that at 44psi, it would be like driving on solid rubber. I don't even run pressures that high in an AutoX. There are other factors to consider, too much pressure and you tend to wear the center tread quicker than the outsides. Go too low on pressure and you wear the outer edges. My feeling is that you don't want to have to tweak tire pressure to make up for weaker sidewalls.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM
pingbling23

I've got around 1000 miles on my T1R's and i love them. Awesome grip, smooth ride. and no noise. Excellent tire imo.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 PM
turbohappy

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
What tires are you comparing to? Toyo's tend to run NARROWER than other tires, such as Michelin, BFG, Bridgestone. I think one of the few commonly used tires that are narrower than the Toyo's are Falkens.
This is totally dependent on tire model and also size. For instance, the Falken Azenis in 205/50/15 I have on my Civic are huge, measure out to be over 220mm.