Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

I wonder what scratched this wheel....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry I wonder what scratched this wheel....

I dunno....maybe....an impact wrench!?!?! Arrgh!!!

I take my car to the dealer because I am concerned about the front end, and possibly something loose or bent, since it looked to me like the wheels were not pointing in same direction. I also needed the fuel hose recall work performed, and wanted to get my tranny fluid changed.

They call me and advise my car is done, but they could not find anything amiss with the front end. I asked them to check it out again, since I was pretty sure I had noticed that morning that when one wheel was straight, the other was pointing slightly outwards. They said they would look again. Meanwhile, I made an appointment for the following day at a trusted mechanic for an alignment.

I get a call an hour later, and they advise they did not find anything wrong, except that I am missing a lug nut from front-right wheel. This was quite strange, since I am very careful about torquing my lug nuts correctly.

When I go to pick up the car, I find that there are scratches at each of the (5) lug nut location, all similiar to attached pic. Of course, the dealer states that they did not do this, but I know that no one has ever removed a front wheel from the car except for me, and my torque wrench assembly would not touch this area of the wheel.

I wrote a letter to Nissan about the above, and they called, advising that they had contacted the dealer, and the dealer is adamant that they did not scratch the wheel. More so, the dealer advised Nissan that they did not even remove the wheel!? I dunno, but if a customer brings in a car, concerned about a situation that could involve the front wheels, wouldn't it be fairly common to remove a wheel for a looksee?
Attached Thumbnails I wonder what scratched this wheel....-nissan-wheel-scratch_pic.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course. The dealer removed the wheel, replaced it with 4 not 5 lug nuts. The answer is obvious but proving it is next to impossible.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You almost have to video tape your car prior to taking it into the shop. Not just the dealership but anyone will deny they did anything it seems.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

+1. Dealer did it.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
showstoppertk

dealer did it, the real question is what are you going to do about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Scafremon, where the hell have you been?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

I've gotten to the point that EVERY TIME I take my car to the dealer, I make the service advisor walk around it with me and we look over everything. I point out stuff I know about, he points out any little areas if there's anything. That way they cannot claim to not have done something, although I'm sure they'd still try.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Scafremon

>> dealer did it, the real question is what are you going to do about it.

Well, after the initial confrontation with the service advisor….

“Did”
“Did Not”
“Did”
“Did Not”

…I went home and dwelled on it. Woke up the next morning, took some pictures of my wheel, and wrote a 3 page letter to Nissan Consumer Affairs. I then called them to create my case file, faxed them the letter, and then sent the letter and (8) pages of photo attachments via Certified Mail to Nissan and the dealer.

Then, since I can’t be seen driving around in a Z with scratches on a wheel, I bought a domain www.350z4sale.com, and will be listing my soiled Z for sale.

Wife says I am over-reacting. (She is obviously not an ‘enthusiast’, and someone else already bought www.wife4sale.com ).

>> Damn Scafremon, where the hell have you been?

Hi Hraesvelg!

I’ve been lost at partypoker.com ever since raceboy mentioned it in a thread a year (or more?) ago. I am now back to visiting websites that don’t cost me my paycheck. (What’s this “Premier Member” thing….arrgh!!!)

Are the robots all gone?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scafremon

I’ve been lost at partypoker.com ever since raceboy mentioned it in a thread a year (or more?) ago. I am now back to visiting websites that don’t cost me my paycheck. (What’s this “Premier Member” thing….arrgh!!!)

Are the robots all gone?
Partypoker... I'm staying away from it. I can see me losing thousands in one sitting. I remember reading a newspaper article a few days ago on Congress cracking down on those sites.

Premier members: You pay $30, you get to change your avatar and a new forum is visible with lots of ****, gossiping about other members, special group buys, a naked pictures of all the female members.

The robots are long gone. Replaced by the Braveheart theme, I started a thread in the Premier Member section after a few beers about all the retarded new people that have been joining up recently, a.k.a. newbs, and suggested we go on a crusade against said members and have braveheart themed avatars and it actually caught on... and got out of hand.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM
plumpzz

dealer scratched up my stock 17's after the first visit. I didnt tell them at the time, and i guess im pretty screwed now.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scafremon
>> dealer did it, the real question is what are you going to do about it.

Well, after the initial confrontation with the service advisor….

“Did”
“Did Not”
“Did”
“Did Not”

…I went home and dwelled on it. Woke up the next morning, took some pictures of my wheel, and wrote a 3 page letter to Nissan Consumer Affairs. I then called them to create my case file, faxed them the letter, and then sent the letter and (8) pages of photo attachments via Certified Mail to Nissan and the dealer.

Then, since I can’t be seen driving around in a Z with scratches on a wheel, I bought a domain www.350z4sale.com, and will be listing my soiled Z for sale.

Wife says I am over-reacting. (She is obviously not an ‘enthusiast’, and someone else already bought www.wife4sale.com ).

>> Damn Scafremon, where the hell have you been?

Hi Hraesvelg!

Are the robots all gone?
You are serious. Best of luck with a resolution.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 PM
tware

who doesnt do a walk around at the dealer? they would make you do a walk around to drive one of their cars, as would any rental agency.

If a SM wont walk around, I walk. The guy that wont take a few seconds to assure both of you agree on the condition of the car I'm giving them has no business with my 30K+ purchase. Most SMs really understand and appreciate when I ask, it really protects us both. If they are going to be removing wheels, I always point out that I dont have damage that is common. Likewise with the interior, I always point out that I dont have scuffs or grease all over. It sends a message, they know that you'll notice. Most of the time they will not put their sloppiest tech on your car. They know who the screwups are, there's a good chance you wont get that guy.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
InSaNeZ

Always check your car, and do it before you pay.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tware
who doesnt do a walk around at the dealer? they would make you do a walk around to drive one of their cars, as would any rental agency.

If a SM wont walk around, I walk. The guy that wont take a few seconds to assure both of you agree on the condition of the car I'm giving them has no business with my 30K+ purchase. Most SMs really understand and appreciate when I ask, it really protects us both. If they are going to be removing wheels, I always point out that I dont have damage that is common. Likewise with the interior, I always point out that I dont have scuffs or grease all over. It sends a message, they know that you'll notice. Most of the time they will not put their sloppiest tech on your car. They know who the screwups are, there's a good chance you wont get that guy.
That's all fine and dandy but what about the janitors who clean up the shop in the middle of the night?

Who's gonna protect your car from Pedro and his dustpan?

You think somebody with no green card is going to fess up to damaging a car?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
tware

thats the beauty of agreeing on the condition of the car before you hand them the keys. Doesnt matter who did it, its understood you didnt drop it off that way.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM
windydog

sorry to hear that. which dealer did this? buena park nicked my wheel, they suck. i ended up letting it go. most nissan dealers suck, period. the only good dealer was Performance Nissan. They did me right, so far.

my advice is to learn how to repair your own car. its not that hard, because you mostly pay 300 bucks for an oil change. i basically take my car just to up keep the warranty.