Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPS question... getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 PM
rrdugas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS question... getting frustrated

Ok... been looking into getting a cheap set of wheels to put some winter tread on... i've got an 04 touring with tps. i want to just throw the wheels on whenever i need em so i don't wanna take the tps out of my regular rims....

what will happen if i just don't use em, will it screw up the VDC or TC. and if it won't then is there anyway to temporarily disable the alarm on the guage so its not goin off all the time.

the other (do it the right way option) would be to buy some new sensors for my wheels, anybody know where i can get em from and how much they would be, i guess this still may not resolve the problem because they may not fit aftermarket wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhggg

hope some of u guys can help
Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

if you do have extras, youll have to get nissan to program them to your car.

also, running w/o tpms will make the little gauge read -- for the 4 tires/signals. Youll also get a )!( type symbol in the main gauge cluster if you drive for an extended distance/time.

It shouldnt effect vdc/tc. I run w/o mine, been that way for 8months or so and no real issues.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:06 AM
MIKE DEGUZMAN

the darn low tire pressure light in my gauge cluster wont turn off on my car... sux!!! i gotta find the fuse to disarm that thing
Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE DEGUZMAN
the darn low tire pressure light in my gauge cluster wont turn off on my car... sux!!! i gotta find the fuse to disarm that thing
Put some black electrical tape over the light....
Old 09-25-2006, 04:25 AM
JNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kolia
Put some black electrical tape over the light....

Thats what I did for the check engine light on my last p.o.s. car.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

anybody know if they program the sensors to the car or the car to the sensors? If they program the sensors to the car you should be bale to switch wheels with no issues, but if its the other way around you have to get them reprogrammed each time you switch wheels (not worth the hassle).
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Kolia

They progrem the car to the sensors.

One set of for sensors at any given time.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 AM
rrdugas

thanks, between tires and wheels (blizzaks and cheap 17's) and then having to buy a bunch of sensors and then have nissan set em up i would be at the cost of a cheap car, which would be a good alternative except i don't have anywhere to keep one

i think i'll just tolerate the tire light being on, i'm only gonna throw the snow tires on... when it snows! I was just worried that it might screw up other stuff
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
savvy

i dont have them in my car but i'm not getting any indicator lights either. My car looks like normal except in the gauge the tire pressure just has - -
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by rrdugas
i think i'll just tolerate the tire light being on, i'm only gonna throw the snow tires on... when it snows! I was just worried that it might screw up other stuff
Thats the best thing to do IMO.

The light will come ON and OFF from time to time. You won't get any buzzing sounds.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM
secondz

I am looking into getting a winter tire and rim package from Tire rack but it gets too expensive if you have to buy new sensors and defeats the ease of changing over if you have to remount the sensors from the original wheels. I am thinking of just doing without the sensors. Will my system work properly when I put the original wheels and tires back on or will it need to be reset?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by rrdugas
Ok... been looking into getting a cheap set of wheels to put some winter tread on... i've got an 04 touring with tps. i want to just throw the wheels on whenever i need em so i don't wanna take the tps out of my regular rims....

what will happen if i just don't use em, will it screw up the VDC or TC. and if it won't then is there anyway to temporarily disable the alarm on the guage so its not goin off all the time.

the other (do it the right way option) would be to buy some new sensors for my wheels, anybody know where i can get em from and how much they would be, i guess this still may not resolve the problem because they may not fit aftermarket wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhggg

hope some of u guys can help
on my 2003

Nothing happens without the TPS monitor in the wheels. no beeps, no indicator. The indicator will come on like 30min after the car is running, but will not beep, nor blink the PSI indicator.

But when you remove the OEM wheels with the TPS sensor, make sure to store them AWAY from the car so that the car doesn't receive any signals. I once made the mistake to switch wheels and leave the unmounted OEM wheels(the ones with the tire pressure monitor) beside the car. The car then started giving the TPS warning light, low blinking PSI indicator, 0Psi and beeps whenever I turned on the car.... and there was no way to reset it. I had to put the old wheels back on(with tire pressure sensors) and drive 10minutes(so it could monitor the pressure properly and stop freaking out), then park the car remove the wheels and put other wheels on,

Otherwise, I have no lights, no beeps, no nothing even without the sensors. (just the TPS malfunction light comes on after like 30 minutes, but doesn't beep or anything).

makes sense?

New sensors are 70$ each from performance nissan (280$ for 4)

Last edited by Nano; 09-25-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Kolia
Thats the best thing to do IMO.

The light will come ON and OFF from time to time. You won't get any buzzing sounds.

That's good to know because I have heard people say that there is a buzzing alarm as well??? Something like it will kick on after 45 mintues of continuos driving??

I'm getting my Hiro's put on tommorow and I'm not going to hassle with trying to trabsfer or use the senors in the Hiro's.

If the light comes on from time to time I will just look at it as a friendly reminder that I should get off my butt and manualy check my PSI's once in a while, which I do get lazy with on cars.

If it stays on all the time, I will yank out the fuggin LED.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 AM
JNL

So I just put new wheels on my car with no TPMS. Why is the light not going off? I guess its nice that its not going off, but I'm curious why. I even have the TPMS sitting in my front seat right now. I know that they did work previously in my stock tires. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by JNL
So I just put new wheels on my car with no TPMS. Why is the light not going off? I guess its nice that its not going off, but I'm curious why. I even have the TPMS sitting in my front seat right now. I know that they did work previously in my stock tires. Any ideas?
Why are you asking for trouble????

People ask if the TPMS will freak out if they take their senders off. And when it doesn’t go crazy, they’re still unhappy…

The light will come on and off periodically.

Just get the senders away from the car before the TPMS does detect them and start buzzing because it senses no pressure… Nano had to remount his original wheels and drive around with them in order to get the system to stop buzzing when he changed to his aftermarket wheels. He had left the OEM wheels pilled near the car.

Now, if your senders are on the front seat, I guess it might be complicated to remount those once the TPMS does freak out?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
derekinthez

Default sensor change

so if I change rims from stock to 20 inch axis mod 7's can I use the stock sensors w/o having to reset them at the dealer? will they just work once I install on the new rim/tire package? if they have to be reprogrammed, how much does the dealer charge to do this?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by secondz
I am looking into getting a winter tire and rim package from Tire rack but it gets too expensive if you have to buy new sensors and defeats the ease of changing over if you have to remount the sensors from the original wheels. I am thinking of just doing without the sensors. Will my system work properly when I put the original wheels and tires back on or will it need to be reset?
I plan on doing this as well....but I also do not know the answer to the question. I would be inclined to believe that the sensors will work fine when you put the stock wheels with sensors back on. Can anyone offer some insight on this?