Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter driving, am I stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 AM
shankaran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Winter driving, am I stupid?

So of course I had to sell my 99mustang and buy a 2006 350z coupe manual. Was I even thinking about the upcoming winter storms (I live in WI)? Hell no, I was to eager to get my new car.

So here's the situation. I do NOT have 2k to buy a beater. My mustang was a v6 and a ***** to drive with all season tires. When I lowered the car it seemed even harder, and I got stuck many times.

So after reading a few things on here, I am leaning towards buying those Bizzarks or whatever you call them. Smart move? where would I buy rims? Mine came with different tires on the back, so should I be doing the same when I buy winter tires?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I obviously wouldn't drive if there is just 4 foot of fresh snow, and take some other transportation to work (10 miles) but yea.

tirerack is where I am loookin for tires
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 AM
alan00000

I have a set of Bridgstone Blizzacks LM22's and there awsome in the snow, If you do get snow tires make sure you get front and rears. Get them from www.tirerack.com . Finally if you do a search on these forums theres alot of info on snow tires. Welcome!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 AM
dubbzdiggler

Hey dude, PM me...I can get you hooked up. I run the blizzak LM22s on my car and I had no problems last winter. You can either run them on your stock wheels or you can get a wheel and tire package with 17s or 18s. Send me a message.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:51 AM
shankaran

Default hello

Yeah i did the tirerack thing and they mention pirellis and other things so i wasn't sure

do u buy rims from tirerack or from somewhere else?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 AM
dubbzdiggler

I work at Tire Rack.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Times have changed as far as tires ---I grew up in Lac-du- Flambeau Wis --Close to Minocqua and I would hate to get the dam salt under the car !!!--Bite the bullit and get a clunker
Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 AM
dubbzdiggler

I'd save your money and just run the tires on your stock wheels and then buy a good set of aftermarket wheels in the spring.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 AM
dubbzdiggler

Just wash your car once a week and you'll be ok with the salt.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:59 AM
shankaran

Stock wheels? Ahh I love the stock wheels, its the newer chrome ones compared to the old 05 look. So I wouldn't wanna destroy those, I'd rather buy some crap black rims and throw the tires on there. Washing the car no problem. Start off in 2nd gear I assume. Ah I'd buy a beater if I could, but spent all my cash on this, don't have 2k lol
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 AM
shankaran

Lac as in Fond Du lac??
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM
jjellyneck

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
Times have changed as far as tires ---I grew up in Lac-du- Flambeau Wis --Close to Minocqua and I would hate to get the dam salt under the car !!!--Bite the bullit and get a clunker
Yikes--it's a very beautiful area, but hard to find good jobs there. I'm from Rhinelander.

I'm running Pirelli P210's on 17" wheels purchased via Tire Rack. They've been great in the Minneapolis snows, and it's a blast to drive in the winter (I tend to turn off the VDC for some fun controlled slides on the backroads).
Old 10-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Eazzy

Yes --Rhinelander was 28 miles away---It was the BIG city !!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
shankaran

hehe i'm in madisoon, rents in fond du laccccc i hate that place haha
Old 10-12-2006, 07:37 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Snow tires will not turn a 350Z into a SUV. You are attempting to get the car to do something that it was not designed.

Look at ground clearance. Once you pile, say, 5 inches of snow under the Z, it is going nowhere: snow tires or not.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Eazzy

Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 AM
shankaran

hehe true, my car would be p arked in a garage at home, and if i know its a big snow forcast i wouldn't drive it.. but once the snow started getting plowed it woul dbe my mode of transportations
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Eazzy

U can always get Tire Chains !!!!!!!!!! That would be a site !!!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
SweetDreamZ

As far as tires to get...my buddy, although not on a Z, has used Blizzaks, Alpin and Dunlop Winter Sport M3s...

He said that his order of preference was:

Dunlop Winter Sport M3s
Michelin Alpin
Blizzak

He wasn't impressed w/ the Blizzaks compared to the others at all...and he thinks that they get alot more hype than warranted...Just so you know...he's used them all on all of his cars:

Supra, RX-7, WRX, and taurus(lol). He has modded all 3 of the mod-worthy cars to fairly high hp, but lives in Rochester, NY and still needs to get around. Just thought i'd let you know what he said...in case the Blizzaks are all about hype?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 AM
jjellyneck

Originally Posted by davidv

Snow tires will not turn a 350Z into a SUV. You are attempting to get the car to do something that it was not designed.

Look at ground clearance. Once you pile, say, 5 inches of snow under the Z, it is going nowhere: snow tires or not.
Ah, that amount of snow is no big deal. Once I get a little bit of movement, my G35 coupe would plow through more snow than than. Yes, the key is tires and round clearance.

My next snow tires will be the Dunlop M3.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll find much advice in other posts too. I had Dunlop Graspics for 2 years and was shocked I got through 8" last year. My road does not get plowed. We got 8" overnight and it was not the light, fluffy stuff. Like you said, the roads usually get plowed pretty good unless there is a blizzard and almost nobody is going anywhere period. Depends on incline, your driving skill, etc. You must keep your momentum up to avoid getting stuck, etc. A few days before I made it through about 4" but couldn't make it more than 1 foot up my drive way. A light fwd car, like my wife's woulnd't care about that at all. Shoot, hers might have even made it up on all-seasons.
You will be limited by ground clearance and a little by RWD but still be surprised what it CAN do. I am replacing mine with Michellin X-Ice this year. I've been reading a lot of tire reviews. The most believable one I read said this is an excellent non-studdable tire and that the Blizzaks are really showing their age. It also ranked my Dunlops about dead last so I'm hoping to drive with less fear this year. If the state I worked in allowed studs and I could afford them, I'd be getting the Nokian Hakapeliitta 4's with studs. They are supposed to be one of the ultimate but they are about $225-250 for Z sizes
Since you have another vehicle as well I don't know what you have to worry about. Get whatever the tirerack recommends and you'll probably have no trouble. Good luck

Quick Reply: Winter driving, am I stupid?