Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers
View Poll Results: STOCK TIRES: MARVEL OF PERFORMANCE OR DANGEROUS?
I am overwhelmingly pleased with the stock tires on the Z.
8.57%
I am generally pleased with the stock tires on the Z.
18.57%
I am neither pleased or displeased with the stock tires.
30.00%
I am displeased with the stock tires on the Z.
14.29%
I am extremely displeased with the stock tires on the Z.
17.14%
This tire is dangerous and should be recalled by Nissan.
11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

CALL NISSAN! (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:21 AM
fotodad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CALL NISSAN! (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Please call Nissan if you agree the stock tires are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS tires in the snow. I personally feel it was negligent of Nissan to put on a tire that is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS even in the smallest amount of snow (half-inch OR LESS!). Nissan should have realized this car would be sold to people who live in northern states. Certainly a rear-wheel drive car is not the best in the snow to begin with, but this car can't even get up a slight incline with a DUSTING of snow. It snowed last night where I live. Maybe an inch of snow fell. I started off for work and couldn't even make it up an overpass! I got half way up and the tires just spun. I had to back down the road! How safe is that?! Yes, the useless traction control was on. These tires are dangerous and should be pulled from vehicles driven in snowy conditions. Nissan should have put a high performance ALL-SEASON tire. I don't expect this car to get me safely through three or more inches of snow, but expecting it to get through and inch or two I don't feel is unreasonable. PLEASE CALL 1-800-647-7261 IF YOU AGREE. LET NISSAN KNOW THEIR TIRE CHOICE FOR THE 350 Z WILL CAUSE INJURIES.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Audito350Z

ummmm... you obviuosly did not read my other post where I quoted straight from the Z owners manual.

I really am concerned that someone like you will file an "I'm an ignorant fool and almost killed myself because Nissan and Bridgestone put performance tires on my sports car and I drove it in the snow" lawsuit.... thereby ruining it for all of us true enthusiasts when the next-gen Z comes out with 215/75-15 all season tires.

I'm prertty cetrain that Nissan North America will have a really good laugh at all of you who actually call and make this complaint.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:09 AM
fotodad

Default Dearest audito350z (PeteH)

I do appreciate the valuable and useable information you provided me. But apparently in my ignorance I used some words in my postings which you didn't understand. If I wanted the ride of a Toyota, I would have bought one. I have owned other "performance sports cars" and not had my "Starbuck's grande latte" come close to spilling. In fact, I was even able to drink it with ease in other sports cars I have owned. Now, while you're buzzing around a nice flat, dry race track, sipping a "Starbuck's grande latte" may not be important to you. But in the real world where people drink "Starbuck grande lattes" a ride which bounces them to the point of pain is unsatisfactory. Apparently you didn't read my disclaimer (look up the word). I understand this is a sports car and all this automobile genre (look up the word) implies. But on a TOURING, I emphasize the word "TOURING," 350 Z sports car, thoughts of ride comfort by Nissan should have been made. If not, why have the different Z packages?

About the test drive: When I took the car for a test drive, I drove it in a larger city where the roads where terrible. I noticed the ride of the car was stiff and bouncy, but I attributed it to the bad roads. Had I known the ride was going to be EXCESSIVELY stiff, I would not have bought the car. Therefore, since I have bought the car and am dissatisfied with the ride, I hope to find positive suggestions on how to improve it and to get others who are unhappy with the ride to let Nissan know their thoughts.

About the snow: I reiterate my comments "Certainly a rear-wheel drive car is not the best in the snow to begin with, but this car can't even get up a slight incline with a DUSTING of snow." Apparently you feel only people who live in warmer climates or those who want to spend hundreds of dollars extra on snow tires should buy a Nissan 350 Z. How arrogant of you! It is not unreasonable of Nissan to put a set of tires that offer some small amount of safety in snow. These tires offer NONE. Again, zipping around a race track on nice dry pavement, these tires are perfect. In the real world those conditions do not exist. Maybe when I was test driving the car I should have had the dealership bring out a snow machine and put a couple of inches on the road so I could see how it performed. I understand it's a sports car. I understand it's meant for performance. I understand it's competition is Porche and Audi and Mustang. Fine! make a model that competes with those cars. But when you make a TOURING version think about some comfort and everyday safety.

Obviously you are happy with your Z. And while you call me an "ignorant fool," I am pleased you are enjoying your 350 Z. By the way, I may be an "ignorant fool," but I'm quite sure "prertty" is spelled without the extra "r."

Thanks again for the constructive suggestions. You've taught me three things:

1.) Take a drink with me next time I test drive a car.

2.) Completely and throughly read the owner's manual before purchasing a new car, looking for disclaimers which require further purchases by the buyer.

3.) Ignore postings by individuals who feel a need to belittle the views and intelligence of others.

Michael
Old 03-13-2003, 08:25 AM
POWERZ

THESE ARE THE WORST SNOW TIRES EVER!!!!

Fortunately for Nissan and Bridgestone, they are SUMMER TIRES ONLY and this is clearly stated in several places on the car, in the manual, and by any Z enthusiast you speak with. Many people who deal with snow traded in the tires for all-seasons before they even left the show room.

I'm sorry you are not happy with your purchase, but this is NOT the fault of Nissan. It is painfully obvious that you did very little research before buying this car. You thought because it said "Touring" on the window sticker it would fulfill all your needs?! If you care about stiff suspension and large cup holders you should trade in the Z and cut your losses. This car will NEVER make you happy. The only valid complaint you might have is that the "Touring" model should be renamed...

FYI: I live in the Midwest and my car is completely undrivable in even the slightest hints of snow.

PS - If you want to nitpick, you misspelled "Porche" and "throughly" and I realize undrivable is not a word...

Last edited by POWERZ; 03-13-2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 AM
djkern
Banned

i agree with you fotodad. some people post replies to postings just to try to make you look like an idiot....when, in reality, they are just making themselves look worse.

i agree that the tires on the car are more than crappy in even a disting of snow. yes, they are GREAT in dry weather. but, even on flat surfaces, going 5 MPH, the tires till drift a bit in a dusting of snow. but, i deal....i use the 4runner in that weather.

nissan should have been smarter and made the touring package with looser suspension and thinner tires. i believe people who are buying the touring package aren't buying it to zip around and race people....more on the lines of buying it to cruise around and enjoy the feel. yes, they should have put better tires on the touring....for what it's called...TOURING! the track...yes, the tires are great for the track....cause that's where you are going! to the track!

i agree with you 100%....

as for Audito350Z.....grow up.

djk
Old 03-13-2003, 08:40 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by djkern
i agree that the tires on the car are more than crappy in even a disting of snow. yes, they are GREAT in dry weather. but, even on flat surfaces, going 5 MPH, the tires till drift a bit in a dusting of snow. but, i deal....i use the 4runner in that weather.
I agree. But I knew this ahead of time. I 'deal' and take the Jeep in the snow.

Originally posted by djkern
nissan should have been smarter and made the touring package with looser suspension and thinner tires. i believe people who are buying the touring package aren't buying it to zip around and race people....more on the lines of buying it to cruise around and enjoy the feel. yes, they should have put better tires on the touring....for what it's called...TOURING! the track...yes, the tires are great for the track....cause that's where you are going! to the track!
I couldn't disagree more. This car is not meant to be everything to everyone. Most people bought the Touring for the leather, not to have a cruiser. If you want cushy suspension and thin tires to 'cruise' on you bought the wrong car! I still don't see how you guys think this is Nissan's fault...
Old 03-13-2003, 08:49 AM
djkern
Banned

"I couldn't disagree more. This car is not meant to be everything to everyone. Most people bought the Touring for the leather, not to have a cruiser. If you want cushy suspension and thin tires to 'cruise' on you bought the wrong car! I still don't see how you guys think this is Nissan's fault"

call it a different name then....you sure as hell aren't touring with just leather. i also know a lot of people who bought the touring cause they though it wasn't as much of a sports car. as in, looser suspension and a less bumpy ride. i know a few people who couldn't test drive the touring and they were told that the ride is smoother than the other models.

i'm not sayin git nissan fault....i'm just saying that it could be changed for future models if they want to keep the "touring" name. make it more of a "touring" feel for the people that want the "touring" feel.

the car is great in my eyes. i couldn't be happier.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Audito350Z

Default Re: Dearest audito350z (PeteH)

Originally posted by fotodad
I do appreciate the valuable and useable information you provided me. But apparently in my ignorance I used some words in my postings which you didn't understand. If I wanted the ride of a Toyota, I would have bought one. I have owned other "performance sports cars" and not had my "Starbuck's grande latte" come close to spilling. In fact, I was even able to drink it with ease in other sports cars I have owned. Now, while you're buzzing around a nice flat, dry race track, sipping a "Starbuck's grande latte" may not be important to you. But in the real world where people drink "Starbuck grande lattes" a ride which bounces them to the point of pain is unsatisfactory. Apparently you didn't read my disclaimer (look up the word). I understand this is a sports car and all this automobile genre (look up the word) implies. But on a TOURING, I emphasize the word "TOURING," 350 Z sports car, thoughts of ride comfort by Nissan should have been made. If not, why have the different Z packages?
I actually buy a Starbuck's Venti Extra Hot Caramel Macchiato every morning on the way to the office. I put in the the cup holder in the center console with a few napkins underneath it. I do this because I know I drive a car with a stiff suspension and I expect a few drops of foamed milk to spill out, just like they did this morning. I do not call Nissan and cry that my car rides to stiffly.

The other "performance sports cars" you have owned were probably not designed with the aggressive nature of the 350Z. Nissan engineers design the car to some set denominator. I have no idea what the denominator is.... that is a Nissan thing. You cannot expect the Nissan dealer to ask you, "How would you like your 350Z to handle? Soft and floaty or firm and bouncy?" and then have them set up the suspension just for you. If you don't like it, sell the car, or go buy different shocks.

I read your disclaimer. And I ignored it. If you have to make that disclaimer, then you should not be driving this car. Nissan never implied that the "Touring" model would have a different suspension... only that it has a different interior. That you inferred "Touring" meant soft and floaty is an error on your part.

About the test drive: When I took the car for a test drive, I drove it in a larger city where the roads where terrible. I noticed the ride of the car was stiff and bouncy, but I attributed it to the bad roads. Had I known the ride was going to be EXCESSIVELY stiff, I would not have bought the car. Therefore, since I have bought the car and am dissatisfied with the ride, I hope to find positive suggestions on how to improve it and to get others who are unhappy with the ride to let Nissan know their thoughts.
It is not Nissan's fault that you drove test drove the car on bad roads. If you were intent on getting the true feeling of the car, you should have insisted on a test drive that included highway driving on smooth roads along with the bad city street.

Your attribution of the stiff ride to the bad roads is merely another error on your part that you hope to pawn off to Nissan. I offered you a suggestion to use a different size wheel/tire combination that could alleviate some of your frustration. Instead, you start a poll and incite unhappy Z drivers to call Nissan and complain that their car is too bouncy and the tires don't work in the snow.

Quite indicative of our society... nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions.... "Call Nissan and complain that your action of buying a sports car was wrong and Nissan now has to rememdy it somehow."

About the snow: I reiterate my comments "Certainly a rear-wheel drive car is not the best in the snow to begin with, but this car can't even get up a slight incline with a DUSTING of snow." Apparently you feel only people who live in warmer climates or those who want to spend hundreds of dollars extra on snow tires should buy a Nissan 350 Z. How arrogant of you! It is not unreasonable of Nissan to put a set of tires that offer some small amount of safety in snow. These tires offer NONE. Again, zipping around a race track on nice dry pavement, these tires are perfect. In the real world those conditions do not exist. Maybe when I was test driving the car I should have had the dealership bring out a snow machine and put a couple of inches on the road so I could see how it performed. I understand it's a sports car. I understand it's meant for performance. I understand it's competition is Porche and Audi and Mustang. Fine! make a model that competes with those cars. But when you make a TOURING version think about some comfort and everyday safety.
Again... lowest common denominator. And I'm pretty sure that since Nissan designed the Z to be a sports car, they did not anticipate a large population of Z owners to try to drive the car in the snow. Instead of crying to Nissan that snow tires should come standard on the car, call Tirerack and order a set of snow tires. Take a little responsibility for yourself and your actions, don't expect Nissan to fix all your problems.

I don't have access right now to a Porsche 996 owner's manual, but my guess is that somewhere in there is says something very similar to the 350Z manual about performance tires and snow tires. My previous car was an Audi A4... with Quatro all-wheel-drive. And, guess what, that owner's manual said the performance tires were designed for dry conditions and suggested using snow tires in the snow.

You should know better.... you live in a region where it snows 4-6 months out of the year. Buy the sports car for the nice summer days and keep an old Jeep or Land Cruiser for the snowy weather. Even I know that, and I live in Houston where it NEVER snows.

Obviously you are happy with your Z. And while you call me an "ignorant fool," I am pleased you are enjoying your 350 Z. By the way, I may be an "ignorant fool," but I'm quite sure "prertty" is spelled without the extra "r."
Merely a typo... I get a little little incensed when I read posts like yours and tend to type too fast. Trust me, I know a lot more words than you and I know how to spell them all. I might have even thrown in a few intentional spelling errors, just to keep you on your toes.

Thanks again for the constructive suggestions. You've taught me three things:

1.) Take a drink with me next time I test drive a car.

2.) Completely and throughly read the owner's manual before purchasing a new car, looking for disclaimers which require further purchases by the buyer.

3.) Ignore postings by individuals who feel a need to belittle the views and intelligence of others.

Michael
1.) Probably not a bad idea. If you tend to use the car as your mobile dining room, then you should be assured that the provided cupholders and the car's suspension does not upset your dining and drinking experience. I have a friend who was shopping for a new car. She did not have a boyfriend, and was nowhere near getting pregnant, but she took a child car seat with her just to make sure that is would fit in the car and that ingress/egress was simple. That is planning ahead.

2.) Highly recommended. I would be willing to bet that 75% of all the questions asked on this and various other car-specific forums can be answered if the questioner would simply read the manual.

3.) Up to you. But, when you start complaining that your sports car hadles like a sports car, expect true enthusiasts to call you out.

PeteH
Old 03-13-2003, 08:58 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by POWERZ
The only valid complaint you might have is that the "Touring" model should be renamed...
Fair enough. Incorrect information from a dealer is also a valid complaint. However I don't buy the "my dealer didn't let me test drive" line. ANY DEALER will let you drive ANY car if you sign the papers with a "pending test drive" clause. It's all part of proper research that should be done before buying a car.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:04 AM
fotodad

Default to PeteH

As I mentioned in a different posting, I knew I'd catch some heat for my comments, but I stand by each one. To not discuss with manufacturers concerns that consumers have with products they purchase would be irresponsible of the American public. Only through customer feedback can automobile manufacturers design vehicles which meet the needs of their intended market. You talk like a Nissan share holder. If you want to stand by big business and be a "yes" man, go right ahead. I for one feel it is my responsibility to exercise my right to discuss issues about this car or any other product I buy in any forum I feel is appropriate. I think your precious and infallible Nissan would agree that customer feedback is critical in designing and producing a fine automobile. So I encourage those Z owners who are unhappy with the tires or suspension or anything else to call Nissan and tell them.

In response to another post: Did I do research previous to buying the Z? Yes. Could it have been more thorough? Yes. Is hindsight 20/20? Yes.

If the poll reflects satisfaction with the tires, then I am certainly in the minority. If, however, the poll refects dissatisfaction, then Nissan needs to know about it.

Also, it seems from the responses I'm getting that I am completely dissatisfied with this car. I am not. It is truly a wonderful vehicle. When I'm on a nice, flat, dry road sipping my Diet Pepsi (don't even like lattes) I am quite proud to be driving such a beautiful car. Will I sell it? Doubtful. Will I invest in snow tires or all-season tires with money I don't have? Probably. Will I feel a sense of pride after I polish the Z and take it for a drive in the city? Absolutely. I just feel Nissan made a mistake in how they marketed the "Touring" version of the Z. And I feel they did a disservice to those customers of the Z who drive their cars in climates with snow.

I appreciate all the responses. If you want to attack my motives for buying the car, fine. But also please include options for making the ride smoother. I'm not looking for a "floaty" or "soft," however.

I hope your friend is not considering putting a child seat in the front passenger seat of this car or any car. If she is call social services!

Michael
Old 03-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Audito350Z

Michael.... all points considered and accepted. We all have different tastes and desires.

As for the original matter of this lengthy thread: I think you agree that at the very least an all-season tire is in order to make the Z work in colder, snowy climes. I have never had to shop for all-season tires, but I do highly recommend www.thetirerack.com for their service, knowledge and good prices (not a shareholder and do not stand to gain!).

Also, if you do go with all-seasons, consider going with a wheel/tire combination 1 size smaller in diameter than what you have now (or 2 sizes, if you have 18" wheels now). Any extra tire sidewall you can add will reduce some of the stiffness in the suspension and make for a smoother ride.

Another option would be to change the shock absorbers. I'm not sure what is available for the Z in an adjustable shock... Koni makes a very good adjustable shock. You can adjust bounce and rebound on some of their models. Setting bounce to the softest setting and rebound in the middle might be a good place to start.

There are dozens of suspension kits on the market.... most designed to lower the car and stiffen the ride. Avoid buying new coil springs... instead focus your search on shock absorbers; adjustable shocks if you can find them. Other than Koni, look at Bilstein, Sachs, JIC, Tein, H&R... there are others, this list is by no means all-inclusive.

In the end, I'm sure the consumer feedback will lead more likely to larger option choices at the dealer... or at least at the dealer parts counter.

PeteH

ps... the friend ended up with a Chrysler Sebring. Within a year of the purchase she landed herself a husband and got herself pregnant. I guess good planning pays off.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:31 AM
fotodad

Default PeteH

I appreciate your last posting, a constructive response. I will certainly look into the suggestions you offered. Thank you. I still think the poll will prove interesting. Certainly it will reflect concerns with the tires beyond their ride and total lack of traction in snow.

Michael
Old 03-13-2003, 12:08 PM
AAAA

Its a sports car...
Old 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CALL NISSAN! (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Please call Nissan if you agree the stock tires are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS tires in the snow. I personally feel it was negligent of Nissan to put on a tire that is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS even in the smallest amount of snow (half-inch OR LESS!). Nissan should have realized this car would be sold to people who live in northern states. Certainly a rear-wheel drive car is not the best in the snow to begin with, but this car can't even get up a slight incline with a DUSTING of snow. It snowed last night where I live. Maybe an inch of snow fell. I started off for work and couldn't even make it up an overpass! I got half way up and the tires just spun. I had to back down the road! How safe is that?! Yes, the useless traction control was on. These tires are dangerous and should be pulled from vehicles driven in snowy conditions. Nissan should have put a high performance ALL-SEASON tire. I don't expect this car to get me safely through three or more inches of snow, but expecting it to get through and inch or two I don't feel is unreasonable. PLEASE CALL 1-800-647-7261 IF YOU AGREE. LET NISSAN KNOW THEIR TIRE CHOICE FOR THE 350 Z WILL CAUSE INJURIES.
I am NOT going to read this whole arguement etc....But I do know a few things...1. the Mazda RX8 is coming with the exact same tires...2. my best friend took his dads supra turbo to school with him in Utah once, HUGE mistake, he couldn't even get out of the parking structure.

CONCLUSION-If I ever live in a snowy climate, I will get snow tires.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
bfleming

Smile Its all in the details

Plenty has been written about the Z's tires and their poor snow performance. God only knows how many new cars are sold with crappy tires that won't run well in the snow, probably almost all of them. Sometimes you can get away without snow tires cause of fwd. I've lived in the north all my life, started driving before there were many if any fwd cars and everyone always put snow tires on the rears of their rwd cars in the winter. The Z's tires are not snow tires and they are high performance summer tires (of a sort) and they perform as one would expect in the snow on a rwd car with a lot of torque. I was surprised that I couldn't get up a 2 inch lip in my drive in the snow, but once you think about it, its not really surprising. Prior posts suggest Bridgestone Blizzaks if you are going to drive in a lot of snow and Michelin Pilots if its more occassional. The Protenza's seem ok to me when I drive them under the intended conditions.
The ride is stiff, but again its what I expected. After many years of sedans and minivans it takes a bit of getting used to. IMO the handling is incredible and worth the sacrifice in ride. The car clings to the road and in the turns I feel like I'm on skiis making big GS turns while rushing down a mountain - like flying.
I drove the Infiniti G35 coupe and the ride is more refined, you might want to think about a trade. Also 16" or 17" wheels and fatter tires will cure some or all of the stiffness. And remember, the smaller the wheels, the more Acceleration you get! Changing out the shocks could also make a big difference, you can get adjustable shocks that let you dial in the ride.
I solved the coffee cup problem with a $2 plastic 16 oz cup that has a sliding latch that closes tight and works great. PM me your address and I'll send one to you - from Heritage's in the garden state.
Hope my spelling is ok - you guys are tough.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:49 PM
koochz

Question I bought a sports car that is not an SUV?

Well I am no speller, nor am I one that could spell Porsche without looking at the correct spelling but I did realize that this automobile made by humans would have problems. I am suprised by how few problem that it does have and overwhelmingly surprized by the obvious issues that some people have with driving a sports car in the winter.

And once again I am no genious. BUT, this is a sports car.. lets treat it as such.

Happy trails, waiting for the thaw here in Chicago... I am almost ready to ride....
Old 03-13-2003, 06:44 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I'm extremely pleased that NNA reads this site religiously (Hello, Steven, Phillip and Megan. ) and will certainly see what a preposterous topic this is.

ULTRA HIGH-PERFORMANCE tires that don't take well to snow and a stiff suspension on a sports car? Who would have thunk it?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Audito350Z

Well... at 10:43 pm Houston-time I am still in the minority. You can guess with ONE vote up there on the poll is mine

PeteH
Old 03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
fotodad

Originally posted by Audito350Z
Well... at 10:43 pm Houston-time I am still in the minority. You can guess with ONE vote up there on the poll is mine

PeteH
Even though you called me an "ignorant fool," I'm beginning to enjoy your sense of humor. Thanks for your suspension/NISMO comments on the other posting. I plan to call my local dealer tomorrow to get their thoughts on how to make the ride a touch smoother and the cost of materials and installation of new shocks. I have to agree with other Z owners about the tires' performance even on dry pavement. Believe it or not, it hasn't snowed everyday I've owned the car (though it seems that way!). Even on bone dry pavement, the mildest acceleration cases the tires to slip. Sure, I like to enjoy the fine acceleration this car offers. But, while turning on to highway on-ramps applying modest acceleration causes the car to fishtail. I sincerely hope profit margins weren't considered when Nissan decided on this particular tire for this car. Interestingly, in none of the reviews I've read on this car in major magazines have they mentioned any dissatisfaction with the tires. I wonder if the Track version of the Z performs better with the Bridgestones while the other versions of the Z don't?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:24 PM
fotodad

Originally posted by droidekaus
I'm extremely pleased that NNA reads this site religiously (Hello, Steven, Phillip and Megan. ) and will certainly see what a preposterous topic this is.

ULTRA HIGH-PERFORMANCE tires that don't take well to snow and a stiff suspension on a sports car? Who would have thunk it?
droidekaus,

I took a peek at your car in your gallery. Wow! What an incredible detailing job! I know this isn't the proper message board for this topic, and you'll probably report me to the internet police, but what products do you use to get your car to look so spectacular? What are your detailing secrets?

Michael

Quick Reply: CALL NISSAN! (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)