Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

nitrogen gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:40 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350V
Actually it is a proven fact that it saves you money. Nitrogen is alot lighter than air and therefore reduces the rolling weight of your car.
Really ?

Looking at the data from Air Liquide (http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/E...?languageid=11) we get:

Nitrogen : Gas density (1.013 bar and 15 °C (59 °F)) : 1.185 kg/m3
Air : Gas density (1.013 bar and 15 °C (59 °F)) : 1.202 kg/m3

So that's a 17 grams difference per cubic meter !!! For reference, the whole interrior of a 350Z is 50.5 cubic feet, which equates to 1.43 Cubic meter. So if you filled the whole car with nitrogen only, you'd save less than 25 gram (.05 lb)...

Dude, just don't eat that last bite from your donut in the morning and you'll have a better weight reduction ! Lol

Last edited by Kolia; 11-03-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by S12 driver
Just curious, since nitrogen is lighter than air, does race cars use nitrogen to fill their tires?
If the series allow it, yes they (should) use nitrogen. But not because of weight saving. Because the tire pressure will be more stable at different temperature. It makes the car easier to setup.

By the way. I rarelly lose 1lb of pressure per month in my air filled tires. The 2.7lb per month figure isn't realistic.

20$ was a rip off. At Cusco, they charge 2$ (Canadian$) per tire for nitrogen. Much cheaper!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:44 AM
roneski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Sort of...

atoms get smaller left to right, (generally)

but they also get BIGGER from top to bottom

hydrogen is by no means the biggest...

Nitrogen is definitely bigger than oxygen
You're right, Cesium has the largest measured atomic radius. I've been out of school for too long.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roneski
You're right, Cesium has the largest measured atomic radius. I've been out of school for too long.
Well closs, Francium has the largest atomic radii and the radii decreases as you go from left to right. Nitrogen on the otherhand is lighter as mass increases as you go left to right. The main benefit to tires is that nitrogen stays much cooler than air and thus tires do not get as hot. Heat is the main cause of destruction to tires.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM
roneski

Theoretically Francium has the largest radii but it's never been measured (unless someone has managed to do it recently) it's apparently tough to work with because it lasts all of about 22 minutes in a lab.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Sunset350ZR

Not sure of how or whether it is an approximation but I kow they state the atomic at 270 pm. By the wayRoneski what do you do for a living in Vegas? Some pretty specific info you have there
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 AM
twotonetrack

I was recently told by a guy at the local Tire Kingdom that offers nitrogen that it prevents corrosion around the rim. Might matter if you have new wheels but I'm still on my stock Track Model wheels. Anyone here of this?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:22 PM
roneski

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
Not sure of how or whether it is an approximation but I kow they state the atomic at 270 pm. By the wayRoneski what do you do for a living in Vegas? Some pretty specific info you have there
Lol, I'm just a traffic technician, but I read alot.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
hi, i just bought an 06 touring roadster, and i just filled my tires with nitrogen gas... but for some reason i couldnt sleep and check up on the internet about nitrogen gas.

what are the science behind it? and is it beneficial? ... or... did i waste 20 bucks to get it replaced with normal air to nitrogen? -_-

When I had my tires mounted they asked me if I wanted them to use Nitrogen instead of air. Don't think I ever heard of it until then. He said for 20 bucks we can use Nitrogen instead of air and it will leak out slower than air. If you ever need it topped up, bring your car in and we'll top it off for free. Like I have nothing better to do with my free time than that

I must have had the funniest look on my face when he explained it.

It's just a way for them to milk more money out of customers.

Just like the magnetic oil drain plugs at drive thru speedy oil lube places.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Uh... do some of you realize air is already 79% nitrogen?

Some people are talking about it like it's some exotic substance...

YES, nitrogen is less corrosive than air, because it's the oxygen and water in air that is corrosive.

The primary reason for using nitrogen is the pressure stays more stable for a longer period of time, end of story... anything else is just a bonus.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:55 AM
MoodDude

Kolia is correct, racers use nitrogen since it doesn't have any mositure content in it, thus giving the tire a much more predictable hot pressure.

You are better off checking your air pressure every other fill up and find out what cold pressures will give you what you are looking for when the tires get "hot".
Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
johnlotusboy

In vehicles that run low inflation and are sensetive to changes(fronts on my Lotus=21psi) it is vary effective since it changes pressure less with temp increase. Normal inflation changes 1psi per 10°F. temp change.
In the Pacific NW we have 25-30 degree morning to night. 2-3psi at 35psi no big deal. When you start at 21 psi and 24psi is rough and hard to drive then it does serve a point.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Kolia is correct, racers use nitrogen since it doesn't have any mositure content in it, thus giving the tire a much more predictable hot pressure.

You are better off checking your air pressure every other fill up and find out what cold pressures will give you what you are looking for when the tires get "hot".
True.

But just as a side note, depending on what source you use for compressed air, N2 does not necessarily have a lesser moisture content.

It's just that cheap, standard air compressors typically don't have any kind of water bypass whereas the methods that must be used to seperate N2 from air (cryogenics or semi-permeable membranes) simply don't introduce H2O to the system.

If care is taken when air is compressed (as would be the case if you bought a cylinder of "bone dry air") then moisture won't be a problem.

Even then N2 would be superior.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 PM
350z_drifter

Default your wrong about your statement

yea... that's what i was told at the shop too...

but when u think about it.... nitrogen is smaller than oxygen... so shouldnt nitrogen diffuse faster than oxygen? ^__-

shouldnt it be better to have oxygen?
nitrogen is a larger structor than oxygen.nitrogen will also take longer than oxygen to seep out of the tires
Old 02-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roneski
Theoretically Francium has the largest radii but it's never been measured (unless someone has managed to do it recently) it's apparently tough to work with because it lasts all of about 22 minutes in a lab.
Depends on the isotope... most don't last that long.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
joegengsta

but when u think about it.... nitrogen is smaller than oxygen... so shouldnt nitrogen diffuse faster than oxygen? ^__-

diatomic nitrogen is LARGER than diatomic oxygen because it is left to oxygen on the periodic table and on the same p categorical subshell
Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
shushikiary

By larger I hope you mean that it's larger most of the time, because electrons dont have a set radius for any energy level, just a highest probability radius, which just so happens to be the bohr model radius. lol
Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Fluid1

Well, when you really think about it, it's not 100% oxygen that you put into your tires. It is compressed air.

Nitrogen is used in the tires of many race drivers.

To roneski and Hares..... try mixing francium with fluorine.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
To roneski and Hares..... try mixing francium with fluorine.
Trying mixing Flourine with anything and it's bad... We have HF Acid at work... Lots of it. And I've personally delt with UF6 (Uranium Hexaflouride).

Quick Reply: nitrogen gas?