http://www.advancepitstop.com/Advanc...ndex=Nitrogen#

http://www.nitronics.com/news.htm

http://www.racelinecentral.com/tirehistory.html
Old 03-19-2003, 06:02 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: oops

Originally posted by Murry

Are you telling me that the temperature inside a tire is above the boiling point of water @ 3 ATM absolute? And that nitrogen is used to eliminate the partial pressure exerted by steam?
Nope, I was not saying that at all. I was saying the opposite. The temperature would NOT reach boiling, even at 1 ATM. And if it did the presence of nitrogen would not stop it from boiling anyway.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, lot's of speculation here. Let me tell you from my point having used Nitrogen in my kart tires for the past 15 years.

First of all, oxygen causes oxidation. Nitrogen is widely used by trucking companies to extend the life of their tires. Since they reuse the inner part and retread the tires often, they need that inner part to last as long as possible.

Nitrogen does also travels through the rubber 30-40% slower than air helping maintain proper inflation as well.

Nitrogen is a non reactive gas (won't go boom and feed a fire). You buy it from medical supply companies and therefor there is not water in the nitrogen. Otherwise the nitrogen itself expands at exactly the same rate of air, but because it is pure unlike air (especially from compressors) where there is a high water content, the nitrogen filled tire won't expand as much and you will have less air pressure change as the tire heats.

All NASCAR, CART, F1, ALMS, and all pro racing teams that I know of for that matter, use nitrogen to fill their tires.

http://www.airproducts.com/corp/rel/1996/96106.asp
http://www.bodydynamicsracing.com/tires.htm
Old 03-20-2003, 04:27 AM
Murry

Default still skeptical

Why is nitrogen more STABLE than DRY air? Why do people think that it won't change temperature like air--(Both can be condsidered ideal gases)? What it the maximum temperature inside a tire? The only theory that holds water is corrosion so far....

BTW-- Just because someone has a nice looking website doesn't make the information accurate. Their point might be correct but their wording needs help.

O2 doesn't go boom fuel does.

-Murry
Old 03-20-2003, 05:46 AM
jackwhale

Thanks Raceboy for the links. Its nice to have some facts to fuel a discussion.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Murry

Default Air Dryer

So they are talking about the partial pressure of water vapor, not necessarily steam.

The result is that as the humidity at the track changes the pressure in a tire filled with air will change. Race teams use nitrogen because it is an inert gas, it is quite stable and relatively unaffected by changes in humidity. This means that when the race team adjusts a tire's pressure they can be sure that even after quite a few laps and any changes in weather conditions the tire pressure will be pretty close to what they set it to.
Relatively unaffected by temperature. OK sounds like dry air would work well too. Does anyone have practical experience to prove or disprove this theory. I am really curious about the truth. So don't react negatively (Flippant remarks).

-Murry
Old 03-20-2003, 10:11 AM
raceboy
Banned

Dry air would also work just as well, but it's very hard to get dry air. Much easier to just get nitrogen. And then you also get the added benefit of a nonflammable gas.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Murry

Default Eureka

Raceboy,

Thanks for the positive feedback. The nitrogen question finally makes sense.

See you around,

Murry
Old 03-20-2003, 10:46 AM
spf4000

Raceboy,

Do you use nitrogen in the tires of your Z? Or is it cost prohibitive?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:19 PM
johnlotusboy

I use nitrogen in my tires, the pressure shift is much less with the temp. changes from freeway driving. This is more important with an initial inflation of 23psi that my Lotus uses. inflation changes 1 psi per 10 degree of temp rise, nitrogen does not rise like that and doesnt leak out like air. I get mine from a friend at a motorcycle shop, cost is under 1 dollar a tire!

It works great for me.
Good luck
Old 12-11-2004, 02:56 AM
DMONTE

My local costco wholesale store uses nothing but nitrogen to fill their new tires that they sell I went there just the other day and ask if they could fill my tires as a member , the nasty tire manager refused funny thing is they will repair your flat tire as a member free of charge whether you purchased the tire there or not, so I guess I'll have to pull up and let all the air out of my tires and then see what they do
Old 12-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I work at an airport - I've been running nitrogen in my tires for about 3 months. Seems to quiet the feathering down some. I guess because the air isn't changing pressure.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
scz

Thank god for raceboy, I was just about to say the same thing. I almost had to laugh because it was obvious that all of you guys spitting out information you read off of your periodic table/dinner placemat, have never even stepped foot on a racetrack. Raceboy is 100% correct. End of discussion, hopefully.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:17 AM
macka

NOT SO FAST:

If my molecular phasing wave combobulator is correct...the thermal couple inline diversification overhaul mechanisim has to be interpopulated with crotch oil at or above the point of manifestation to hold the inline roundabout at or above functional worky work.

J/J

WOW - I had no idea we had this many smart folks on this board. I figured you guys would all be dumb like me

This is a good thread, I have enjoyed reading it...even though it made me feel dumb as a stump.

Macka
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
scz

Wow, you just punked everybody!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM
grifferjr

Default Re: Nitrogen

Originally posted by Murry
Nitrogen as a gas is N2 and since a nitrogen atom has a molecular weight of 7 the molecular weight of nitrogen gas is 14. By way of comparison air has a molecular weight of approximately 29. A tire filled with nitrogen gas will be lighter and have a lower moment of inertia than a tire filled with air. I can not think of any other practical advantages.

The thought that a tire filled with Nitrogen gas won't change temperature or pressure is totally incorrect. The ideal gas law (PV=mRT) shows the relation between temperature and pressure. Heat transfer will occur raising the temperature inside the tire and the pressure no matter what gas is used to inflate the tire.

I hope this helps and I anyone else has more information I would like to hear it.

-Murry

HUH?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Wicked4u2c

Raceboy you hit it right on the money!! My dad works with semi trucks and some have used Nitrogen and the life is amazing with it on. Less weight, doesn't leak out as much, and the pressure doesn't change. GOOD POST, im surprised this hasn't leaked out earlier.. Check this link out as it is very informative and you will learn everything you need to know

ENJOY PEEPS

http://irgaragesolutions.com/n2/

Last edited by Wicked4u2c; 12-15-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Ok...come on. Admit it! We all know you only want to use nitrogen to be different! LOL. I mean...who wouldn't want to be able to say "Oh yea, I put nitrogen in my tires because it's all high-performance and stuff". LOL. I'd do it!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:42 PM
phoenixZ33

When I worked on a Ferrari Challenge team, we used Nitrogen in tires. The only reason we used it was because the pressure didn't change *as much*. It would still change during a track session, but instead of it going from say 35->42psi, it would go from 35 to 37/38psi. Other than that, I don't see why you'd need it on a street car.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Nano

nitrogen tire filling is very popular in Europe.

About 1 car every 3 new car has tires inflated with nitrogen here. Some cars have nitrogen from dealer. Everyone is equipped with nitrogen here.

You recognize nitrogen filled tires because they use red tire valve caps.

all my cars in EU have nitrogen(even my 60hp mini classic) , all my cars in NA have normal air. LoL. Honestly Imho it's a marketing business pointless scheme. There may be some benefits at the extreme(racing, military, planes, trucks etc..), but in most street driving conditions, it's irrelevant.

If I remember, Nitrogen has 10x lower permeation rate than oxygen. so a delta in pressure due to permeation that takes 10 days with oxygen, would take 100 days with nitrogen. Also, tires have been seen to run slightly cooler with nitrogen.

Last edited by Nano; 12-19-2004 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Inflate tire with nitrogen