Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Stretching your tires pluses and minuses

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvshehata
I run steched tires all the way around, I like the way they look. I've had them on for over 1000 miles and no issues. Here are the specs:
20x10 +24 offset 245/35/20 rear Nitto 555
20x8.5 +24 offset 225/35/20 front Nitto 555

also on tanabe springs.

I ordered some 25mm spacers (for a total of -1 offset) for the rear to bring the tire out to the fender. I will have to roll them. Once I get the spacers on I will post some pics, the stance will be sick!

Not only does that not look good it is extremely dangerous. The car is a sports car not a low rider mang!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM
SHIFT_KNOWLEDGE

I think im going to go 255 for the 9 and 285 for the 10.5.. DONT BASH rvs i knew there were people out there doing this. Ive seen it in tons of magazines as well. Now im sure all the every one with streched tires will hesitate to post. I just would like to see how long people with streched tires have gone with out any problems, or have there been any problems?

Last edited by SHIFT_KNOWLEDGE; 01-18-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Well considering that the SSR GT2H on tirerack is a really high offset like 19x10.5 +43ish i think it was, you could run a really fat tire like a 305 on there in the back with plenty of clearance. you could prolly run a 275 in the fronts.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
SHIFT_KNOWLEDGE

this is true but i purchaed spacers to pull the wheel out further to the fender...5mm for the front and 15mm for the back.. ide rather have a flush wheel and tire buldging out than just the tires bulding out (if that makes sense)..hmmmmmm does it?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by SHIFT_KNOWLEDGE
this is true but i purchaed spacers to pull the wheel out further to the fender...5mm for the front and 15mm for the back.. ide rather have a flush wheel and tire buldging out than just the tires bulding out (if that makes sense)..hmmmmmm does it?

Oh ok so you have spacers... well in order for the tire to be flush on a 10.5 you would at least need a 285 or a 295 for the perfect look.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

I think im going to go 255 for the 9 and 285 for the 10.5.. DONT BASH rvs i knew there were peopel out there doing this. ive seen it in tons of magazines as well. Now im sure all the ever one with streched tires will hesitate to post. I just would liek to see how long people with streched tires have gone with out any problems, or have there been any problems?

Well I am not really bashing him per say...okay maybe just a little with the low rider comment, but regardless of taste and if there's more than one person doing this, it still doesnt change the fact that it is a dangerous application. The integrity of the sidewalls and the seat of the bead is not properly supported when you stretch a tire out like that. Most reputable tire shops will either refuse such installation and/or refuse work on your car if you roll in with that application.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
OffsetZ33

Find me some cases showing the "aftermath" of any stretched tire failure... There are few if any on a daily driver setup. As longs as you can set the bead then all is good. Sometimes it just takes more work to get it to set Stretching tires is OK and I actually really like the way a good stretch looks. The above stretch looks good IMO - I have def. seen even more extreme stretches!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by tmoth
Find me some cases showing the "aftermath" of any stretched tire failure... There are few if any on a daily driver setup. As longs as you can set the bead then all is good. Sometimes it just takes more work to get it to set Stretching tires is OK and I actually really like the way a good stretch looks. The above stretch looks good IMO - I have def. seen even more extreme stretches!

Have you ever worked with tires before? Have you ever worked in a shop with wheels and tires? Have you ever been up close to a tire on the mounting machine and the bead breaks? Have you ever seen your customer tow their cars in because the tires bead and sidewalls failed and shreaded the wheel? I have and trust me I've seen plenty. Just because you managed to get the bead set doesn't mean you are good. I don't need to post or go find proof of this just to satisfy everybody. All you guys can take my advice for what it is worth or not. It doesn't take a genius to know that stretching a tire that is too narrow on a wide wheel is not normal. There is a reason why manufactures have a high/low wheel range for every tire size. There is a reason why back in the 90s shops refuse work on lowriders with reversible daytons. It is dangerous to the customer and dangerous for the tech who is working on the install.

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 01-18-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think im going to go 255 for the 9 and 285 for the 10.5.. DONT BASH rvs i knew there were people out there doing this. Ive seen it in tons of magazines as well. Now im sure all the every one with streched tires will hesitate to post. I just would like to see how long people with streched tires have gone with out any problems, or have there been any problems?
The stretched tire trend comes from Europe where car are homologated (in most countries). That basically means that any type of modification is illegal, including tire plus sizing. A vendor can not sell you a tire size not specifically listed in the owner’s manual by the car’s manufacturer.

So, regarding wheels, the only option available to these guys is to increase rim width while keeping the original size tire. It gives a small improvement in steering response while keeping their ride legal. That’s the only thing their allowed to do. They would love to be able to choose whatever tire size they want like we do here!

Then we see these funny setup in European magazine and think it’s cool to have a “Euro look” so we mimic them with a crappy tire size. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it’s silly to do that…
Old 01-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stretched look comes from Germany, where they roll around all day at 130+ mph.

If it's good enough to pass the TUV inspection, it's good enough for me.

Also, aren't most D1 drift cars shod with extremely stretched tires ?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 AM
2003FittyZ

Originally Posted by z-u-later
WTF!? I don't want to sound mean but this is retarded . . . it's not quite ricey but definitely gheytto. That look does not belong on a sports car like our Zs.
+1 especially the 2nd pic, it looks horrible, like it's not even touching the lip of the rim.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 AM
booger

Originally Posted by rvshehata
I run steched tires all the way around, I like the way they look. I've had them on for over 1000 miles and no issues. Here are the specs:
20x10 +24 offset 245/35/20 rear Nitto 555
20x8.5 +24 offset 225/35/20 front Nitto 555

also on tanabe springs.

I ordered some 25mm spacers (for a total of -1 offset) for the rear to bring the tire out to the fender. I will have to roll them. Once I get the spacers on I will post some pics, the stance will be sick!
i believe the stretched look started with lowriders running 12 and 13 inch wheels . alberto is right...never go less than a 285 on a 10.5 in. wheel . it looks like you should have hydraulics on the car when you stretch the tires
Old 01-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Z04

anytime you stretch a tire and deliberately run part of the contact patch on the sidewall is not only stupid, but dangerous as well. to avoid this get the proper sized tires and wheels for the car.