Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
cturnbull802

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha i am blind!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:38 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats wrong with cast? Ive hit some monster potholes, one which blew my rear strut, and my ****ty 20 lb cast wheel is still in 1 piece! With superior casting techniques, cast can be as strong as forged wheels. The thing with forged wheels is that they're primary use is for lighter wheels, not stronger wheels. (since its stronger, less material is used). Ive seen forged wheels bend and crack, and ive seen work cast wheels crack (rarely bend..iono).
Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Volk350Z
Master

hmm then why wouold high performance racing Team use Forged wheels?? Formula One, Super GT, WRC, MotoGP

also there's differnt type of Forged wheels.. forged billet (cheaper way of makeing a wheel & Forged Metal Flow (Volk Racing and BBS type).. please make sure you get it stright before you make the comparison.. I have seen Forged wheels bend, but never seen one that Crack. Cast wheel on another hand will crack and break.. Yes there's good cast wheels out there but will never been as light and strong as a True Forged wheel..

Personally if I hit something i would reather my wheel bend then crack and loose presure and might brake off while im driving...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

This is gonna suck fore someone if they bend or dent one..
Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That white one with the Nismo Graphics is SICK NASTY.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
hmm then why wouold high performance racing Team use Forged wheels?? Formula One, Super GT, WRC, MotoGP

also there's differnt type of Forged wheels.. forged billet (cheaper way of makeing a wheel & Forged Metal Flow (Volk Racing and BBS type).. please make sure you get it stright before you make the comparison.. I have seen Forged wheels bend, but never seen one that Crack. Cast wheel on another hand will crack and break.. Yes there's good cast wheels out there but will never been as light and strong as a True Forged wheel..

Personally if I hit something i would reather my wheel bend then crack and loose presure and might brake off while im driving...
im actually quite sure bbs uses a cast method. But as far as i know, i havn't heard of a quality cast wheel cracking or bending more often than a quality street use forged wheel.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
plumpzz

im actually quite sure bbs uses a cast method. But as far as i know, i havn't heard of a quality cast wheel cracking or bending more often than a quality street use forged wheel.
Also remember that most of the forged wheels volk makes are 2 or 3 piece. their true 1 piece forged wheel is VERY light, 3 lbs lighter than most cast wheels in similar sizing. (im talkin about the ce28n). The 2 or 3 piece forged are probably about as strong as work or bbs cast wheels and weight the same as the cast pieces.
BBS uses cast im still sure and BBS wheels are used by indy and F1. Cast aint weak if you make it right, but ur right, the ultimate wheel would be forged 1 piece aluminum or mag
Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Work has made forged wheels in the past, and uses forged components in their multi piece wheels

lets not compare what is used in F1 vs what is sold to the public - the only similarity is they are round

some BBS's are forged, some are cast...just like some Volks are forged, and some are cast, and so on

a good cast process can be insanely strong - a poorly forged wheel can be weak

certainly cant go wrong when you stick to top shelf stuff like volk!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-27-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Amiricanmade

Originally Posted by neo_rambo
probably cause they are ugly.
your mom is ugly.

Last edited by Amiricanmade; 01-27-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Hmm.. I think some WORK are forged not cast. I believe my Meister S1 is forged according to the info here... http://www.workwheelsusa.com/wheels/

Old 01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

LOL... so what the own? 25" DUBs?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Volk350Z
Master

BBS - they are 1 of 3 only company in Japan that does Forged wheels, yes they do make some cast wheels for the lower end market. But most of their High End market are made of Forged

Volk Racing - All Volk Racing Wheels are Forged, only other Rays Brands offer Cast (Gramlight, lexion, Sebring, etc)

Reason why I mention F1 is because when Rays develope wheels for F1 they found a new way of making a Forged wheels 30% stronger and still the same weight as their TE & CE wheels.

Yes a good cast wheels can be strong buy as light or as strong as a Forged wheels?? I don't know about that....

Work Wheels - If anyone can read Japanese nothing on this say Forged, I ask my friend in Japan and the only thing he can find about this wheels is the Stud that hold the wheels together is Forged
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 AM
350Z_LEE

Originally Posted by Armitage
That white one with the Nismo Graphics is SICK NASTY.
yeah i think that one looks cool too.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hrmmmm....yeah....so..hm...about that.....yah, they're sorta actually not ugly...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
bobS

Damn there goes one of my plans for my future Z.....oh well
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

don't worry.. they're probably working the uber elite Pink with Green Polka Dot edition...

where's Hraesvelg?

Last edited by Chebosto; 01-31-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

BBS - they are 1 of 3 only company in Japan that does Forged wheels, yes they do make some cast wheels for the lower end market. But most of their High End market are made of Forged

Volk Racing - All Volk Racing Wheels are Forged, only other Rays Brands offer Cast (Gramlight, lexion, Sebring, etc)

Reason why I mention F1 is because when Rays develope wheels for F1 they found a new way of making a Forged wheels 30% stronger and still the same weight as their TE & CE wheels.

Yes a good cast wheels can be strong buy as light or as strong as a Forged wheels?? I don't know about that....

Work Wheels - If anyone can read Japanese nothing on this say Forged, I ask my friend in Japan and the only thing he can find about this wheels is the Stud that hold the wheels together is Forged
But that is only 1 out of the 50 or 60 wheels Work makes

they do offer forged models, or as well as multipiece models with forged components. They also used to offer the Emotion in a forged model too, but discontinued them (technically discontinued, though you can still get them made if you are willing to wait a few months..thoguh sizing as I recall was geared more towards the AWD cars)

here is what the forged emotion looked like:

One piece forged Meisters

[img]Dhttp://www.z1auto.com/images/SC00010[1].jpg[/img]

Then in their Euro line, the W-ITS and the Brombacher line (Porsche stuff) they also do forged, and the Brombacher also comes in Magnesium too.

awesome wheel ^

Then they do their motorsports level stuff (which is sort of built to order, and not part of the regular 'catalog wheels'

Forged Emotion with center locking hub
Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they do offer forged models, as well as multipiece models with forged components, like in the Meister series. They also used to offer the Emotion in a forged model too, but discontinued them (well, sort of true - they still will make them if you are willing to wait a few months, though its not part of their regular production cycle (sizes as I recall were not very 350Z friendly unfortunately)

Then in their Euro line, the W-ITS and the Brombacher line (Porsche stuff) they also do forged, and the Brombacher also comes in Magnesium too.

awesome wheel ^

Then they do their motorsports level stuff (which is sort of built to order, and not part of the regular 'catalog wheels'

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-01-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
they do offer forged models, as well as multipiece models with forged components, like in the Meister series. They also used to offer the Emotion in a forged model too, but discontinued them (well, sort of true - they still will make them if you are willing to wait a few months, though its not part of their regular production cycle (sizes as I recall were not very 350Z friendly unfortunately)

awesome wheel ^

Good Find but.. those wheels are not made by Works..

there's only 3 company in Japan that hold the patent on Forged Wheels in Japan, BBS, RAYS & ALCOA

Those wheels listed above are either made by Alcoa or Rays, under their private lable program. The Emotion Racing wheels i know is mabe by Alcoa cause rays stop making forged wheels for them.

their euro line stuff was nice too my friend have a set on his 996 TT for street but when I pickup the wheels from him I know that the barrel or the face is not forged anymore..

But I do admit that the OG Emotion was a nice wheel, but too bad they had to change it and send it off to china to make them.

Last edited by Volk350Z; 02-01-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Man, how did this thread turn into a debate?

Quick Reply: VOLK Time Attacks being discontinued!