Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPMS transfer to Racing Hart wheels - Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
absolutg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS transfer to Racing Hart wheels - Possible?

Has anyone transferred TPMS to Racing Hart wheels? Specifically the C4's? I would like to retain TPMS from my stock wheels and was wondering if this was possible.

I've read that if the wheel is a multi-piece, the TPMS needs to be banded to the wheel. How does that work? Is it reliable? No damage to the wheel etc?

Lastly, what is a reasonable price to pay for transferring TPMS to my new wheels?

Any help ASAP would be appreciated... I'm getting my new wheels put on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The band is like a huge pipe clamp that goes around the barrel of the wheel that the sensor attaches to. Yes, it's reliable. No, it can't damage your wheel or sensor.

Some places with do the transfer for free as part of the tire/wheel swap, others may charge you for the dismount of the old tire to get the sensors out.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 AM
JokerDev

If you're gonna do it this week, you'd better get some bands fast!
You can set up the bands on the new wheels yourself, and when the wheels are swapped, just need to take the sensor out of the old tire (it's attached to the valve stem) and screw it onto the bracket on the band.
They shouldn't charge you if you're using the same tires since they will be taking the tires off the old wheels anyway. If you're getting used tires, I can't see it costing more than $20 to take the old tires half way off the old rims
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 AM
absolutg

would a wheel repair place stock those bands? i'm hoping mine does since my wheels are there and i was planning to have them mount them. sounds like transferring the TPMS is a little labor intensive... i might have to take them to a tire place to get it done.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Some places might have the parts to do the banding. Since there's no commercial kit available that I'm aware of, they have to be homemade. If the shop is not into that kind of service then chances are you don't want them fooling with you TPMS and wheels anyway. Call them first and see what they say about doing banding.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
absolutg

^ good call. i asked them and asked around and found out it's going to cost me $200 to get TPMS transferred because of dismounting/remounting tires, etc.

not worth the hassle. i can check by hand monthly instead.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
JokerDev

The light is going to be on in the dash...it's better to band them.
a mod here, The Tech, sells band kits.
200 to transfer the tpms is ridiculous
All they have to do is take the tire 1/2 off the old rim, unscrew the valve stem and the whole assembly comes off. If you're using the same tires, they have to do all the work you need anyway. You could attach the TPMS to the new rims yourself, it's basically like screwing on a nut to a bolt. A 5 yr old could do it.