Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Brake Dust removal- inside of Volks SF Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
live2themaxuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust removal- inside of Volks SF Challenge

Hi all

i have bought a set of Volks SF Challenge wheels in 19" gunmetal. Lovely rims. They are in pretty good nick apart from a little bit of curb rash.

The 'inside' of the rim is pretty visble on these wheels and before i put them on my car, im pretty keen to get them in A1 condition. The inside of the rims were really grubby before i started cleaning them this morning. Ive got it now to a position where they are clean when you run your hand across the inside of them , but there are still areas of what looks like 'caked' on brake dust in the 'pits' of the textured anodized surface that these wheels have, and you can feel this with your hands, the build up The surface seems to be a PITA to catch brake dust.

I have tried metal polish, white spirit, clutch cleaner, alot of stuff but it just will not shift. I havnt wanted to use any 'wheel cleaners' on the insides as general concensus says NO on anodized finished.

I have though used some P600 wet and dry very lighty on the inside over the areas that i can feel have built up areas, and used some white spirit to remove the dust. This reduces the areas from caked on 'black' to a mildly 'stained' surface on the inside, but its by no means invisible

Anyother ways?

Jamie
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 AM
live2themaxuk

Done it!

Scotch pad, or a sponge with that green 'pad' on the top, with some water and soap. Works a treat. Makes some mild scratches on the inside, but as finish is 'textured' and , wont be seen, they hardly show. Could probably rid of them with some P1200 or P3000 etc

Jamie
Old 06-28-2007, 06:40 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by live2themaxuk
Done it!

Scotch pad, or a sponge with that green 'pad' on the top, with some water and soap. Works a treat. Makes some mild scratches on the inside, but as finish is 'textured' and , wont be seen, they hardly show. Could probably rid of them with some P1200 or P3000 etc

Jamie
I was just going to say that the scotch pads would leave marks. I would just use some brake cleaner, then clean with soap and water.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
redlude97

It worked because you scratched off all the anodizing
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
live2themaxuk

hehe Im pretty sure this isnt the case as the brake dust is actually sitting on top of the anodizing. I have actually done some curb rash repairs to the lip of these wheels, just alot the edge, and it takes a fair bit of rubbing even with wet and dry to remove it back to the aluminium, so a scotch pad isnt going to be able to remove it all. Admittedly im sure it may take some of it off, not not enough to make a cosmetic difference like on the polished looking front of the wheel. If you scratch that, no amount of polishing on the anodizing will get the scratch out, its a case of sand off the anodizing, and polishing it up so it merges almost invisibly with the rest of the anodizing on the wheel.

The one good thing about having anodized rims as opposed to polished/clear coat is if there is a ding, you dont have to worry about it corroding and bubbling the laquer, its just. . . dinged. Any repairs you do though would have to be kept polished up so they dont dull, and eventually, oxidize, but, even then, thats nothign sandpaper and polish cant fix.

Jamie

Jamie