Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire stretch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
Here are a few questions to start:

What kind of lateral load does a drifting tire get? (Almost none)
How often does that tire hit a pothole on a race track? (Never, unless you run out of track)
What happens to the thread with the sidewall twisting it in a concave shape? (Mmmh...)
What happens to water when such a tire is going thru a puddle? (See topics on Tire Pressure + Rain for the correct answer)

In a drift application, a stretched tire will break away earlier, plus the reduced thread allows to slide at a lower speed. These are desirable. Plus it's a show thing...

It's fine if you like the aesthetics of a stretched tire. But don't fool yourself in thinking you're perfectly safe and the tire will behave the way it's designed to work...

as far as stretching,
for drifting, tires are stretched in a way to increase the sidewall stiffness, in this way the tire sidewall has less flex and give to it, thus making it less sloppy when you are indeed a drift.

i drive my "stretched" tires day to day and i have no pothole issues, and if i do indeed see one, i do try and avoid it, but hey, who doesnt hit the occasional one. as far as this goes- i run a 255 on a 10" wheel and i have not bent or damaged my wheels in any way.

usually when you run stretched tires you up the air, i run mine at about 38psi day to day and have even tread wear- no issues with a "concave" shape.

rain- as a matter of fact it just rained on monday(wierd so cal weather!) and i had a chance to test my "unsafe" stretched tire on the roads/freeways here-no issues, just as if it were normal driving trying to avoid other california idiot drivers on the road.

drift- dunno how much you know about this topic but:
honestly, when i take on drifting, i like to have the stickiest tire available (rt-615 or my fav bridgestone s-03) just so it takes more force to break away, pluse those make the most smoke. stretching tires allows you to make use of the maximum tread width of the tire and minimizes the flex, especially for the front tires.

but hey, tire stretching isnt for everyone, so whatevers
Old 07-24-2007, 01:55 PM
daytona350z

255 on a 10" isn't a stretch.

245 on 10.5" is getting wide a bit...
you commented in my previous thread that it was, so i just used it as an example
Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daytona350z
you commented in my previous thread that it was, so i just used it as an example
My bad if I missed that one. All my links to topics I've posted on were deleted at some point. So I can't find the topic you're referring too.

255 on 10" is still within manufacturer recommended rim width. You're not stretching that much...

Seriously, high tire pressure combined with stretching a tire beyond the recommended rim width will not allow you to make maximum use of the tread. Not if grip is what you're looking for.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
redlude97

next time you see a pothole, make sure and ram it, im sure that the diffrence will be null with a 275 on a 10" and a 255 on a 10".
I'll put my 285 on a 9.5 against a 245 on a 10.5 any day against a pothole. I've hit "monstrous" potholes without damaging a wheel yet.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by redlude97
I've hit "monstrous" potholes without damaging a wheel yet.
as have i, your point?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marino Z
why??
obviously he wants the lip to protect his tires just in case he gets to close to a curb.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
BlaccZ33

stretched tire FTW!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM
tougeracing

how about learn to avoid the potholes. sh*t no one is telling you to run over them.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 AM
Curt941

Originally Posted by hayai240sx
This is 235/40/18 on a 18x10
Personally I think it looks sick. I'm not planning on tracking or street racing.

Anybody have pics of 215/40 on a 8.5-9?

Thanks
Whoever rolled that fender needs to be shot in the face. Look how wavy it is, looks like the damn ocean.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
chewychew

its funny bcus there so many ppl against this. This is drifter style, and undoubtedly all you people are grip and drag freaks ppl, who want nothing more than to stuff 335's or as much as they can into the well. on the flip side doesnt that look ridiculous too, putting 305's on a 10.5 width so they bubble out? drifters stretch the tire all he time, and im pretty sure drifting puts alot more stress on the tire than you driving on the highway. i dont recall ever hearing them blow out the bead at all or with enough frequency that people actually talk about it. to each his own, enough flaming goes on on this forum and it seems like 350z owners ( i included ) are becoming prissy people, who need things perfect and this and that. much like supra owners are associated with being cocky, z owners are not far off.

The comment about the ****ty fender rolling. there isnt any doubt that the job is ****ty, but im pretty sure no person would pay for that type of work. keep in mind this is drifter style **** and they usually drift ****ty old cars unless ur some kind of baller. But that being said he prolly rolled it himself with a baseball bat and didnt give a **** since once again its prolly gonna be damaged anyways ( the car that is).
Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chewychew
its funny bcus there so many ppl against this. This is drifter style, and undoubtedly all you people are grip and drag freaks ppl, who want nothing more than to stuff 335's or as much as they can into the well. on the flip side doesnt that look ridiculous too, putting 305's on a 10.5 width so they bubble out? drifters stretch the tire all he time, and im pretty sure drifting puts alot more stress on the tire than you driving on the highway. i dont recall ever hearing them blow out the bead at all or with enough frequency that people actually talk about it. to each his own, enough flaming goes on on this forum and it seems like 350z owners ( i included ) are becoming prissy people, who need things perfect and this and that. much like supra owners are associated with being cocky, z owners are not far off.

The comment about the ****ty fender rolling. there isnt any doubt that the job is ****ty, but im pretty sure no person would pay for that type of work. keep in mind this is drifter style **** and they usually drift ****ty old cars unless ur some kind of baller. But that being said he prolly rolled it himself with a baseball bat and didnt give a **** since once again its prolly gonna be damaged anyways ( the car that is).
other than the ****, well said! hehe j/p man!

it's true there are some folks that drift and beat the hell out of their Z's; after all, these cars are easily found for under $19K and lower used in my neck of the woods, California Bay Area all the time

Fender rolling, stretching tires, rubbing tires, scraping the exhaust and the under body; some of us treat that as simply part of the sacrifice in running amazing looking offset wheels with tight stretched fitting, low fender-tire clearance wheels and nice camber and a low low LOW ride height. IMO, THAT is a car that's CLEAN!

having that fender sticking out where it is stock and casting any sort of shadow over the wheels and tires is simply lousy wheel sizes and conservative offsets

but of course when it comes down to it, to each their own; flaming permitted!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM
redlude97

as have i, your point?
So you are saying your 245/10.5 is safer than a 285/9.5? I guess I just don't understand the physics behind it. Exposed metal+asphalt=damage
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM
lowrider

Can You Say R I C E

People stick wide tires on wheels that are too narrow, and now this What the hey

Lou
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 AM
deviljon

jinsei, we have identical tastes in what we define as a "clean" car!

i couldn't agree more about the fenders casting shadows on the wheels. most people like their wheels flush with the fender, but they forget that along with lowering the car comes camber.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are people so poor that once they buy wide rim they can't afford new tires and have to stretch the OEM ones?

I don't get the whole stretching thing...

it is a ricer/drift thing. too bad their car will perform like *** but hey, they are saving a few bucks for crappy performance. plus i would hate to see what the wheel will look like after hitting a good sized pot hole or some other debris on the road.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 AM
deviljon

so drifting is a ricer thing now?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by redlude97
So you are saying your 245/10.5 is safer than a 285/9.5? I guess I just don't understand the physics behind it. Exposed metal+asphalt=damage
didnt say it was safer and you didnt read my post saying you were comparing apples to oranges once you changed the rim width.

now you changing your words to jusyt plain asphalt from pothole. you obviously did not read my post or did not understand it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by Z04
it is a ricer/drift thing. too bad their car will perform like *** but hey, they are saving a few bucks for crappy performance. plus i would hate to see what the wheel will look like after hitting a good sized pot hole or some other debris on the road.
you must have alot of experience in this field. you probably have no idea how a car will perform since you yourself have not tried it.

as far as potholes-read above

jinsei888 and deviljon- cant wait to see your setup jjinsei888. glad to see a feq people on here that push agressive offsets
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by Z04
actually drifting is totally rice, why would anyone do it? its horrible...but you know whats worse....people talking/ranting about motorsports on the internet and yet, not having experience in them
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
chewychew

^ well said

Quick Reply: Tire stretch question