Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 AM
TacoMadre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Those wheels always make me
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by daytona350z
i dont think they are odd. you just have to drop it and they will tuck in nicely. the rear is a bit odd only because it is conservative.
The offsets are most definitely odd

The rear offset on a 9.5" wheel is not all that conservative at +18. imo, it is tucked a mere 3mm more than what I consider the optimal optimal offset. IMHO a perfect rear offset is a 10.5" wide wheel running a +28, 10" wheel running +22 or +23 (as that what is more readily available), or in 9.5" wheel+15 offset.

But to talk about the front, a +18 offset on a 9.5" wheel is definitely too agressive. Personally on a 9.5" wheel, I wouldn't run anything less than a +26

Now, to look at the set together, you have a set of rear wheels that is ever so slightly conservative, and a front set that is overly agressive. The combo is odd
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
ravensaxe

To answer the offset questions.

I got 18x9.5 all around for a better autoX set up. Gives you a tad bit more oversteer which is better for that. Now with doing that I decided to do the same offset all around to I could rotate my tires and save some $ on that. I had the R disc with the big offsets one to look good and two so I can upgrade to stock brembos in the near future. Thanks for all of the complements!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman

The rear offset on a 9.5" wheel is not all that conservative at +18. imo, it is tucked a mere 3mm more than what I consider the optimal optimal offset. IMHO a perfect rear offset is a 10.5" wide wheel running a +28, 10" wheel running +22 or +23 (as that what is more readily available), or in 9.5" wheel+15 offset.

But to talk about the front, a +18 offset on a 9.5" wheel is definitely too agressive. Personally on a 9.5" wheel, I wouldn't run anything less than a +26

Now, to look at the set together, you have a set of rear wheels that is ever so slightly conservative, and a front set that is overly agressive. The combo is odd
Thats actually really conservative. Most people would say the perfect offset is in the low to mid 20s with 1 9.5 front and 10.5 back. It would make it sit very flush but not pushed out with the fenders. I think the 9.5 +18 is a nice setup and definitely not too aggressive. I used to have 19x10.5 +30 is even though it is ideal to you it wasn't too me. Sit way too far under the fenders.

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 10-22-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Thats actually really conservative. Most people would say the perfect offset is in the low to mid 20s with 1 9.5 front and 10.5 back. It would make it sit very flush but not pushed out with the fenders. I think the 9.5 +18 is a nice setup and definitely not too aggressive. I used to have 19x10.5 +30 is even though it is ideal to you it wasn't too me. Sit way too far under the fenders.
When I say perfect I am reffering to a wheel setup that does not rub with a neutral camber setup and no fender rolling.

I am running a 295/35/18 tire on an 18x10.5 rear wheel. I have ran this wheel with numerous offsets as it was a +43 - which I didn't feel was really even that tucked. I was looking for the most agressive offset I could run without the tire rubbing. that was a +28. If I dropped it down to a +23, they would rub. I am sure with a stretched tire, you can run more agressive offsets, but I am not a fan of a stretched tire.

I see so many people running very agressive offsets that require not only a stretched tire, but also gobs of camber and fender rolling. IMHO, a perfect offset does not limit your tire size, nor requires excessive camber or fender rolling.

Last edited by Zivman; 10-22-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I say perfect I am reffering to a wheel setup that does not rub with a neutral camber setup and no fender rolling.

I am running a 295/35/18 tire on an 18x10.5 rear wheel. I have ran this wheel with numerous offsets as it was a +43 - which I didn't feel was really even that tucked. I was looking for the most agressive offset I could run without the tire rubbing. that was a +28. If I dropped it down to a +23, they would rub. I am sure with a stretched tire, you can run more agressive offsets, but I am not a fan of a stretched tire.

I see so many people running very agressive offsets that require not only a stretched tire, but also gobs of camber and fender rolling. IMHO, a perfect offset does not limit your tire size, nor requires excessive camber or fender rolling.
true. I am running a 285s so I am able to run a more aggressive offset with rolled fenders. My friend is running 295s with a 10.5 rear and +22 and he loves the extra rubber but his fenders needs to be rolled badly now.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
ppw350Zunit

if those offsets are odd, then mine are just plain stupid!?!?

https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/279347-ppw-advan.html
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
redlude97

I agree with everything except for the fender rolling part. Anyone that wants a "perfect" setup should be willing to roll their fenders. The "perfect" setup is one that sits as flush to the fenders as possible with the desired wheel widths, tire widths, and alignment settings. A 295 on a 10.5+23 is easily achievable with minimal camber if the fenders are rolled.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM
ravensaxe

Personally I like the tires poking out in the front and rear, gives it a beefy look.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by ppw350Zunit
if those offsets are odd, then mine are just plain stupid!?!?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279347
It seems like you are just trying draw attention to your "different than norm wheels".

They are not reallyany more odd than than the OPs in terms of offset. You have a slightly over agressive rear and even more agressive front.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by redlude97
I agree with everything except for the fender rolling part. Anyone that wants a "perfect" setup should be willing to roll their fenders. The "perfect" setup is one that sits as flush to the fenders as possible with the desired wheel widths, tire widths, and alignment settings. A 295 on a 10.5+23 is easily achievable with minimal camber if the fenders are rolled.
Rolling the fenders is not optimal. Your paint will eventually be compromised on the roll even if it isn't damaged during the process. on top of that, if you ever have to replace the rear quarter panel, you have more than doubled the cost/labor to do so.

I'll stick with a slightly less agressive offset in favor of running the camber I choose, the tires I choose, and not messing up my rear quarters or paint. I mean seriously we are talking like 10-15mm for all that headache????
Old 10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
redlude97

Rolling the fenders is not optimal. Your paint will eventually be compromised on the roll even if it isn't damaged during the process. on top of that, if you ever have to replace the rear quarter panel, you have more than doubled the cost/labor to do so.

I'll stick with a slightly less agressive offset in favor of running the camber I choose, the tires I choose, and not messing up my rear quarters or paint. I mean seriously we are talking like 10-15mm for all that headache????
How would the double the cost of replacing the quarter panel? Also, its an additional 15-20mm on the inside and outside , so basically, with a fender roll you can add an additional 35-40mm in total width if you chose to do so. I haven't had any headaches with my rolled fenders, and neither have any of the other people I've rolled fenders for. THe added 20mm of clearance also makes a huge difference in the stance of the car. Tucked in wheels just look funny IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
daytona350z

humm, doubling the cost of replacing the rear quarter panel? how so if you are already replacing the quarter panel? headache...? just have to find a good person with a roller and heat gun to avoid paint cracking. honestly, how many people have you seen with rusted fenders from rolling them-correctly.

go ahead and stick with your "correct" conservative offsets...your entitled to tucked wheels may be your thing.

btw, i run a 275 on a 10" -5 offset wheel with -2.0* of camber...you have to run some decent amount of negative camber for your car to handle worth a crap.

Last edited by daytona350z; 10-22-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
daytona350z

just for referance. 18x10.5 +15 all around. front is super flush, rear should be +5 or 0, but you get the idea

Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 PM
phorbo007

Nice rims but I like the staggered look better, esp. since our cars are RWD. BTW looks like your car is smiling from the front pic.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

being at a bodyshop for couple of years, this is 100% true. I usually don't even bother telling a person because most likely they won't even have their car that long. But a person who plans on keeping it for a long time or forever, rolling the fenders is a no no for paint. You'll see why down the road. You know your stuff Zivman, not sure if you have any bodyshop experience but it's nice to know someone knows that he's talking about.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by daytona350z
humm, doubling the cost of replacing the rear quarter panel? how so if you are already replacing the quarter panel? headache...? just have to find a good person with a roller and heat gun to avoid paint cracking. honestly, how many people have you seen with rusted fenders from rolling them-correctly.

go ahead and stick with your "correct" conservative offsets...your entitled to tucked wheels may be your thing.

btw, i run a 275 on a 10" -5 offset wheel with -2.0* of camber...you have to run some decent amount of negative camber for your car to handle worth a crap.

You can discuss the fender thing with your body shop as I have with mine. Basically you are rolling the point where the quarter is welded to the inner fender.

I have no doubt you can get by with rolling the fenders and not cracking the paint. That said, you have compromised the paint, regardless of you see it at the time of the 'roll', and over time it will become an issue. That may or may not be a concern to you

My wheels are FAR from tucked. Given that they are within 5mm of rubbing is proof enough.

for the record I am running around 1.5-1.7 degrees of camber in the rear.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
being at a bodyshop for couple of years, this is 100% true. I usually don't even bother telling a person because most likely they won't even have their car that long. But a person who plans on keeping it for a long time or forever, rolling the fenders is a no no for paint. You'll see why down the road. You know your stuff Zivman, not sure if you have any bodyshop experience but it's nice to know someone knows that he's talking about.

Thanks for the supportive post. My brother is a body tech at a very reputable shop in our area. I have discussed the fender rolling with him and other techs from his shop. ALL of them advised me against it.

I mean really, all the potential headache for a few mm isn't worth it
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the supportive post. My brother is a body tech at a very reputable shop in our area. I have discussed the fender rolling with him and other techs from his shop. ALL of them advised me against it.

I mean really, all the potential headache for a few mm isn't worth it
We've had a couple local people bring in their car because they rolled the fenders. They also said everything went well when they rolled the fenders at the time, but a lot of stress marks and cracks came up. What people dont' understand is that when a piece is prepped, painted, and sealed, it's suppose to be like that. If you cut off the paint at a certain area, it will eventually mess up.

A good example since it's kinda hard to explain. When you have a semi big chip in the paint, it will keep chipping over time. You basically flawed the the sealed-in paint. But like i said, it can happen in a year or 5 years. it all depends on weather, condition, and treatment.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

The car looks like it could use a little TLC. Pick up a Meguiar's or Zaino detailing package and spend a weekend waxing the car. After that it will look great!

Quick Reply: Finally have my Work S1 3P in!!! Pics inside