Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Gloss black 19" concave wheels w/ no lip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daytona350z
sorry, but i dont give a sh*t....

because they dont know any better...

and another...

I guarantee at that impact any wheel with that spoke design would have crumbled. Yet you keep posting because your oblivious to your fanboyism. Suburu uses rota in their races. They're also the supplier of many OEM wheels.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
I guarantee at that impact any wheel with that spoke design would have crumbled. Yet you keep posting because your oblivious to your fanboyism. Suburu uses rota in their races. They're also the supplier of many OEM wheels.
i was trying to figure out why you keep on defending these replica wheels, and just realized you were selling some. guess thats why you accuse me of fanboyism. next thing your going to say is rotora brakes are of equal quality to endless or stoptechs...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
AroundMyHorn

i was trying to figure out why you keep on defending these replica wheels, and just realized you were selling some. guess thats why you accuse me of fanboyism. next thing your going to say is rotora brakes are of equal quality to endless or stoptechs...

never said that. All I'm saying is your showing pics of catastrophic accidents which is not the norm. The wheels can put up with plenty of punishment (once again, track junkies love them). Is rotora as good as stoptech...maybe not, but they are not too far behind....

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 11-05-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I just sold these. They don't come in black, but you could always have them powdercoated or painted.

Ray's G-Games 99b
19x9.5/19x10.5 +22 all around

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone is arguing the strength and durability of forging vs. casting. Theres nothing wrong with a cast replica. Forged rims are typically used in racing because in the event of some sort of accident where the wheel is damaged, the rim has a better chance of being bent instead of cracking and still be able to maintain air pressure to finish the race.

TK
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by T_K
I don't think anyone is arguing the strength and durability of forging vs. casting. Theres nothing wrong with a cast replica. Forged rims are typically used in racing because in the event of some sort of accident where the wheel is damaged, the rim has a better chance of being bent instead of cracking and still be able to maintain air pressure to finish the race.

TK
you've got it backwards, cast rims bend, forged rims crack, but forged rims take longer before they crack compared to how easily cast rims bend
BUT the strength of the cast wheel depends on the quality too, for example: the quality level of an OEM cast wheel is far superior to something like rota.

of course people can track on rotas, racetracks dont have potholes, well they shouldnt.

i also dont like knock off wheels, but ill just focus on quality
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
T_K

Any rim can bend, forged or cast. A forged rim will have a little more give than a cast rim. A forged rim will have a little more "flex." Given a hypothetical situation, where a cast rim hits a pothole and the impact generated exactly enough force to crack the rim, a forged rim of same shape and size, would probably bend. That isn't to say a forged rim can't crack either, given enough force.

Cast rim quality depends on the process used. Generally the more expensive the process, the stronger the cast wheel. Quality assurance plays a role in this too.

TK
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Cast wheels are not created equal. Far from it.

For example, Ray's RFC process and Enkei's MAT process on cast wheels are very different from how cheaper wheels like Rota, Sevas, ADR, Axis, etc... are created. Makes a difference in both weight and strength.

Who wants to bet against that argument?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by T_K
Any rim can bend, forged or cast. A forged rim will have a little more give than a cast rim. A forged rim will have a little more "flex." Given a hypothetical situation, where a cast rim hits a pothole and the impact generated exactly enough force to crack the rim, a forged rim of same shape and size, would probably bend. That isn't to say a forged rim can't crack either, given enough force.

TK
have you researched this, do you have any clue what you are talking about?, i can back what im sayingup, can you?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
have you researched this, do you have any clue what you are talking about?, i can back what im sayingup, can you?
If I'm wrong please enlighten me. Show me your source where this occurs in a controlled test, and not just a "because it happened." Cast parts will crack more easily than a forged part, due to imperfections in its grain structure. A cast part has less tensile strength, less ductility and a lower yield point than its forged counterpart, assuming both use quality metals compatible with the separate processes.

TK
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hitting a pretty bad pothole at ~80mph with a forged rim:

BENT not cracked
Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
redlude97

Where's that pic of that red work meister on the g35 that was totalled racing? Its forged lip was bent to hell but didn't crack
Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by redlude97
Where's that pic of that red work meister on the g35 that was totalled racing? Its forged lip was bent to hell but didn't crack
i believe work meisters are cast outer lips and the centers are forged. i may be wrong on this, so if so, please correct me, i knoow the ssr's are that way.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by g-unit9999
hitting a pretty bad pothole at ~80mph with a forged rim:

BENT not cracked

ok, so what's the point? We all know forged is better right? Well, thats strange....because in my old car I hit a pothole at about 75 with a cast wheel.....guess what happened....nothing(except a tore up tire).

Forged wheels are better..we know this. That doesn't mean that all other wheels are crap (looks being subjective).
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
redlude97

i believe work meisters are cast outer lips and the centers are forged. i may be wrong on this, so if so, please correct me, i knoow the ssr's are that way.
You've got that backwards, the outer hoops are forged and the centers are cast, just like volks SF/GT series wheels etc. If you understood the casting process, then you would know that almost all multipiece wheels have forged outer pieces because they are actually easier/cheaper to make than to cast that piece. The forged centers are more difficult/costly to make, and don't take as much abuse, so they are cast.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM
redlude97

ok, so what's the point? We all know forged is better right? Well, thats strange....because in my old car I hit a pothole at about 75 with a cast wheel.....guess what happened....nothing(except a tore up tire).

Forged wheels are better..we know this. That doesn't mean that all other wheels are crap (looks being subjective).
I think this was his point
you've got it backwards, cast rims bend, forged rims crack, but forged rims take longer before they crack compared to how easily cast rims bend
Looks like a bend and not a crack to me
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i could be wrong, but arent meisters entirely cast? otherwise they are the heaviest forged wheels EVER

Originally Posted by redlude97
I think this was his point

Looks like a bend and not a crack to me
yeah and? ive got a cracked progressive spoke in my garage, the rims not even bent, just has a huge crack...
ive got 3 that are perfectly fine btw if anyone wants to buy them

Last edited by ihatethatbobbarker; 11-05-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
daytona350z

Forged wheels are better..
not necessarily.. both casting and forging have thier strong and weak points.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
redlude97

i could be wrong, but arent meisters entirely cast? otherwise they are the heaviest forged wheels EVER

yeah and? ive got a cracked progressive spoke in my garage, the rims not even bent, just has a huge crack...
ive got 3 that are perfectly fine btw if anyone wants to buy them
So wouldn't that mean both cast and forged wheels crack or bend? Not one or the other as you stated?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 PM
redlude97

Yep, you are wrong

Quick Reply: Gloss black 19" concave wheels w/ no lip?