Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How to cure understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 09:39 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cure understeer?

After almost 7000 miles of driving I have determined a couple of things.

1 - I love this freakin car!
2 - I am spending way too much money on this freaking car.
3 - Paint chips are unavoidable.
4 - No real porposing problem to complain of.
5 - I do get a wheel hop when spinning the tires.
6 - I have WAY TO MUCH UNDERSTEER.

After reading all of the Nismo S tune reviews I thought I definitely wanted it but realized the only real thing I need to correct to improve the ride is the understeer.

So, what are the neccesary components needed to cure this terrible understeer I have?

I prefer to do as little as possible because I like all the other aspect of the ride just fine.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:42 PM
FiddlerG35c

typically, to reduce understeer you want to stiffen the rear (or soften the front, but who wants to soften anything? )

some people will add ONLY a rear anti-sway bar for this... a selection of tires/wheels can also cure this sometimes as was done by one of the big japanese tuners (i forget which one but was something like top secret or another big name house).. they had a car that had tires mounted in such a way that the sidewalls on the front of the car would flex more than those on rear (wider tire in front)..... this is for your info only .. i imagine no one would normally do this on a RWD street car.

you can also change springs / shocks .. they will lower your center of gravity and minimize body roll.

suspension tuning is a science... u can always reduce understeer by letting go of gas or over powering into a corner.. and if all else fails, use the e-brake
Old 06-06-2003, 11:11 PM
Boomer

Default Re: How to cure understeer?

Originally posted by all_bark
After almost 7000 miles of driving I have determined a couple of things.

1 - I love this freakin car!
2 - I am spending way too much money on this freaking car.
3 - Paint chips are unavoidable.
4 - No real porposing problem to complain of.
5 - I do get a wheel hop when spinning the tires.
6 - I have WAY TO MUCH UNDERSTEER.

After reading all of the Nismo S tune reviews I thought I definitely wanted it but realized the only real thing I need to correct to improve the ride is the understeer.

So, what are the neccesary components needed to cure this terrible understeer I have?

I prefer to do as little as possible because I like all the other aspect of the ride just fine.

Thanks for the help in advance.
When do you experience the understeer most? The track is set up to minimize oversteer with staggered tires, smaller front and larger rear, so if you need to stiffen the fronts, you might look for a set of polyurethane bushings for the front swaybar, least $ and the front will be stiffer guaranteed. Check w/SEMA, a company used to specialize in polturethane bushings, can't remember their name.

Buy the NISMO swaybars, they should be set up to lessen the understeer and cost less than $500 from the aftermarket. I had a 97 Accord EX and put suspension tehniques swaybars w/polyurethane bushings on it and you could not tell it was a front wheel drive car, pretty good for a 63/37% fr to rr bias. Anyone else have a cheap fix for the understeer, need some help here?

Last edited by Boomer; 06-06-2003 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:23 AM
geezer902

It may not be necessary to continue your expensive habits of throwing money at the car -- see if this helps:

http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html
Old 06-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by geezer902
It may not be necessary to continue your expensive habits of throwing money at the car -- see if this helps:

http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html
Does the racer run front engines or midengines? I stiffened an MR2 at the rear to reduce oversteer. I guess I'm turned around, geezer's list has the cheapest fixes, no doubt. If you're still not satisfied, then the sways may be a permanent fix.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:37 PM
DrCold

I have noticed the understeer, but i dont think its much of a problem for me. I rarly drive the car hard enough that the understeer is a problem. What i dont like is the wheel hop under acceleration. Is there anyway to cure this? On my truck i just threw on some Caltrac traction bars, but then again, it was a solid axle beast. I had the car up on a lift the other day, and i was looking at the underside, and i dont see how or why there should be much wheel hop. But then again, im not an engineer.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:24 PM
all_bark

As for the wheel hop i think a stiffer spings in the rear would be the most benefit.

I read your link Geezer902 and have already done a few of the corrective methods with my tire selection. I put in a lower side wall up front than the rear and also got wider tires in front (compared to stock) as well.

From reading all these anwers I think it is time to get new rear springs (stiffer) and a stiffer rear sway bar.

Can you get them only for the rear? Will getting only the rear setup stiffer cause harm in any other areas?

Thanks for the replys, please keep em coming!

Oh - and throwing money at the car does have its appeal! The new exhaust is on its way and then onto the ecu upgrade and I will be happy. After I jump way over the 300+ hp mark and fix the understeer I will be able to rest.