Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Repolishing Volk GTS Lips

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Get a quote from a wheel repair shop, take them to a shop and have them fix the wheels, should cost $80-200 each, I had one of my hiros done and it looks as good as new. even 3 years later
jeffie7, you cant do with with ruined clear coat on the volk lips. you can get them polished but it wont ever be the same.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Advent7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 2 of my GTS lips polished not the whole lip but the outer edge(the part you can curb rash easily) and they came out very nicely there a little shinier then stock and they told me to polish them every so often to keep it clean.

Only thing that annoys me is it's easier to get spider webs on the lip. So it's gonna take a little more effort keeping them in shape but they don't look much different from the stock GTS in my opinion.

If you want i can post pics of the difference.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by redlude97
No it won't, paint clearcoat will not have the same finish as the factory anodizing. It is not as clear as anodizing so will haze the finish slightly, and it will have adhesion problems to the finely polished metal. There IS a reason why so many companies use anodizing on their multipiece wheels
yep wont ever be the same chrome or replace. Sorry but over dramatic if it were my car id be going nuts. 3k for wheels and somebody f's them up id be gettin new wheels or my lawyer would be gettin in that ***.

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 02-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This same thing happened to LAKERSFAN on this forum. He got the lips chromed and they look amazing.

Sometimes the finish can appear dull after being repolished so chrome is a good option. Its probably not worth taking them to court over.

Hope it turns out well for you!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
jeffie7, you cant do with with ruined clear coat on the volk lips. you can get them polished but it wont ever be the same.
In my case they put the wheel on a tool kind of like a layth (however thats spelled) it spun the wheel up and then they take a cutting bit and cut the wheel down ever so slightly, deep enough to remove any flaws, then they refinish the wheel, in the case of my axis the middle part thats darker they would strip the finish using who knows what and then reapply a new finish.

Again I had my Axis redone and wouldn't mind taking all of mine back and having them all redone. looked as good as new.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by jeffie7
In my case they put the wheel on a tool kind of like a layth (however thats spelled) it spun the wheel up and then they take a cutting bit and cut the wheel down ever so slightly, deep enough to remove any flaws, then they refinish the wheel, in the case of my axis the middle part thats darker they would strip the finish using who knows what and then reapply a new finish.

Again I had my Axis redone and wouldn't mind taking all of mine back and having them all redone. looked as good as new.
Thats because axis "polished" finishes blow. Its really a machined finished. Also, those lips are clearcoated with paint so your experience does not apply in this situation, volk lips>>>>>>axis lips
Old 02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Sick Z

I had the same issue with my Volk GTS. America Tire Center really F*cked one up after trying to fix a flat. Scuffed up the whole lip because the jackass forgot it was a reverse mount wheel and put it backwards on the tire wrench. Raised hell, and 10 minutes later, they called Rick@Status to order a new wheel. Hope it all works out for you bro!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by redlude97
Thats because axis "polished" finishes blow. Its really a machined finished. Also, those lips are clearcoated with paint so your experience does not apply in this situation, volk lips>>>>>>axis lips
I guess thats a good thing for me since I've had my Axis wheels for maybe 4 years now and they still look new. =)

No doubt Volk is a better well, just saying I'm happy with my wheels and glad I was able to easily repair the one when someone F-ed it up.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by Advent7
I got 2 of my GTS lips polished not the whole lip but the outer edge(the part you can curb rash easily) and they came out very nicely there a little shinier then stock and they told me to polish them every so often to keep it clean.

Only thing that annoys me is it's easier to get spider webs on the lip. So it's gonna take a little more effort keeping them in shape but they don't look much different from the stock GTS in my opinion.

If you want i can post pics of the difference.
yeah i would like to see the difference if you can, thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Anybody have an idea of the cost to get the lips chromed? If they have to pull the face off the barrel then I don't want to do that. Voids the warranty and could lead to reliability issues.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of the damage or !!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:34 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Pics of the damage or !!

I swear Jay if they deleted all of your posts with these images your post count would drop atleast half.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 AM
manny007

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
Anybody have an idea of the cost to get the lips chromed? If they have to pull the face off the barrel then I don't want to do that. Voids the warranty and could lead to reliability issues.
Here is a company that does permastar coating.....(like Volks RMC)
http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/

Here is a pic of my old Volk GT-Force after I polished the lips.....pic was at sundown so not to the best of quality

Last edited by manny007; 02-04-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
THE ROADSTER

^^^^ so it's chrome now ? I like it........how much to get chrome ?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM
tware

I wonder if chroming weakens the 'rolling forged' barrel?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
The wheels will have to be pulled apart for any type of refinishing short of tedious hand stripping and polishing. Also, chroming is VERY expensive, expect at least $200/wheel at least in my area
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by Zivman
I totally understand what you are saying, but wouldn't this equate to them scratching your car and you demanding a new car vs repainting?
If they scratch my car and can't return it to 100% factory spec the way it was I'd make them buy me a new car! Why not? They **** up, why should you be punished for something they do?

I'm not sure what wheels you have but no matter what most people spends a lot of time and money on finding the right wheels. When they do and spend $4k on wheels and tires you bet they have the right to demand these things if it's damaged by a shop.

I'm sick and tired of hearing horror stories and how shops damage high end wheels - you break it, you buy it, end of story.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
manny007

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
^^^^ so it's chrome now ? I like it........how much to get chrome ?
No chrome , I only polished my lips.

The web address is just something a ran across a long time ago
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
If they scratch my car and can't return it to 100% factory spec the way it was I'd make them buy me a new car! Why not? They **** up, why should you be punished for something they do?
I am not saying he should make a sacrafice. refinishing the lip if properly done would equate to repainting a panel on your car. It may come out better than the factory finish

I'm not sure what wheels you have but no matter what most people spends a lot of time and money on finding the right wheels. When they do and spend $4k on wheels and tires you bet they have the right to demand these things if it's damaged by a shop.

I have a few sets of wheels:
Enkei RPF1 (approximately $300/wheel)
Enkei GTC01 (approximately $350-500/wheel)
SSR Comp-H (approximately $450-550/wheel)
If a shop damaged the finished I would not be demanding a new set of wheels.

I'm sick and tired of hearing horror stories and how shops damage high end wheels - you break it, you buy it, end of story.
That's just it, they didn't break it in the sense it is cracked or bent. IMHO it can be repaired to like new condition. What if they gave you fair market value for your wheels as compensation like an insurance company would? $600/wheel new, but fair market value of a used wheel would be maybe $250/wheel? What then??

It isn't like the shop is hanging him out to dry. The are making an effort to resolve the situation
Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

yup agree 100% im getting my wheels mounted on wednesday and guess what if they **** them up they will be calling vivid and ordering me a new set too hehe

Quick Reply: Repolishing Volk GTS Lips