Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

UPS delivers................iForged RS Aeros!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 05:00 AM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R1Rider, sorry to hear that. I saw your pictures and, of course, I'm concerned about that and will keep a close eye on it. I didn't request anything special about polishing the inner lip. I believe they all are supposed to come that way as I recall a thread where one guy had HRE's and took pictures next to rodH's iForged's and one of things he commented on was the fact that the HRE's did not have the inner lips polished like the iForged's.

I can't believe the tire place woud be responsible if it's peeling on the face of the wheel. Vince seemed like a nice guy when I spoke to him so hopefully he'll fix this problem for you. Keep us posted on this matter.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:02 AM
vics350

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
check this out for install places...

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

just put in your zip code.
I did check that out and called a few of the places they recommend but none of them can mount and balance 19" wheels. I will contact Tire Rack and see what they tell me.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:30 AM
R1Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will keep you posted on the clear coat issue.

The inner lip not being polished on mine is not that big a deal to me. If I can get iForged to take care of the clear coat problem, then maybe they could polish the inner lip too, if that's something they owe me.

I had a hard time finding a place to mount up 19" w/ 35 series tires around here too. Went to 12 different places before anyone would try it. The shop I finally found had to had to truck them to a facility about an hour away to get it done. I see enough Escalades pimpin' around here on 20's and 24's, so I figure somebody's mounting up big rims. Didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

I got my S03's from onlinetires.com within a week of ordering them. $914 shipped to my door.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:50 AM
rodH

Originally posted by R1Rider
They look good. Congrats. I hope your iForged experience turns out better than mine. How did you manage to get the polished inner lip? Mine's just the raw aluminum. Also, the clear coat is coming off of 3 out of 4 of mine. I'm working with iForged to resolve the issue. They're trying to blame the tire shop. Sure, the tire shop put a small chip in the clear on one of the wheels, but I should not be able to spray them with a regular water hose and see large chunks of clear come off. Enough of my rant. I will not spoil your thread.
when did you get your wheels, I know that there have been 2 updates to the building process since the beginning of the year. The 1st was that they went from using PPG clearcoat to Sikkins and the next was they switched painters (who still use sikkins).
Old 06-21-2003, 07:39 AM
R1Rider

I got in on the first group buy at the end of January. Got wheels in early May. They had the wrong rim pieces on all 4. Sent them back at iForged expense. While they were there, one of the workers dropped one center on to another center and damaged them both. Vince offered me a full refund at that point due to the long wait, incorrrect order the first time, and the damage that would make me wait longer. I told him I'd wait a little longer. Got wheels back at the end of May. Looked great in box. Got the small chip in the left front when they mounted the tires. I had no problem with that. A day later, I washed the car. Hit the small chip with water and it began to peel off. Each time I've washed car, more clear comes off. All of the wheels, not just the original one with the chip. This is not with a pressure washer, just water out of hose connected to spout on side of my house. The left front is bare brushed aluminum now. The right front is missing clear off of 2 spokes and most of the center by the lugs. The right rear has a nickle sized bubble near center. The left rear is peeling around the bolts that hold the center to the rim.

At the moment, I'm not very happy with the response I've got back from iForged. I just want the problem fixed. I'm a bit hesitant about sending them back, as I don't really know when they'll be back and I'm also concerned that this could be a never ending problem. I don't feel that I should pay another dime toward these wheels. I have not received any response back as to whether I'm to be responsible for shipping charges back to iForged or if they will cover it. I asked for them to pay for my unmounting/remounting costs, but I have to pay $40 per wheel where I live and Vince tells me it is only $10 per wheel out there. At the rate it's going, I will probably wind up paying the full price for these wheels when it's all done.

I'm tempted to ask for the finishing costs back and I'll strip the clear off with air and just maintain the bare brushed aluminum.

If I don't hear something back from Vince, or one of the customer service guys by the end of the day Monday, then I'll try to track them down and see what is going to be done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look, metal craftmanship, engineering, etc of the wheels, but the clear coat is sub standard.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:47 AM
rodH

Don't get me wrong, I love the look, metal craftmanship, engineering, etc of the wheels, but the clear coat is sub standard.
I think this is why there have been some updates to the process. I guess I am glad that I at least live so close (25 miles away).
Old 06-21-2003, 07:54 AM
R1Rider

Default RodH

You are lucky to live so close. If you have a problem, you can go down and complain to the company in person. I wish I had an authorized iForged dealer near by. I could at least have someone see the problem in person. All I can do is email w/pics of the problem, call, and wait.

Do you think I would have a problem maintaining the bare brushed aluminum? The clear doesn't really give it that much more of a shiny look.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:08 AM
rodH

Default Re: RodH

You are lucky to live so close. If you have a problem, you can go down and complain to the company in person. I wish I had an authorized iForged dealer near by. I could at least have someone see the problem in person. All I can do is email w/pics of the problem, call, and wait.

Do you think I would have a problem maintaining the bare brushed aluminum? The clear doesn't really give it that much more of a shiny look.
the clear just makes maintainance easier, I don't know how to maintain the different finishes though, so I don;t know, sorry.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:35 AM
srobert910

I just got mine mounted and balanced. They couldn't put the pressure sensors in so i'm going to have to find some banding material. Otherwise everything is perfect. The tire shop did a perfect job mounting and balancing. The installed the wheels by hand, hand torqued with a thin wall socket. Everything balanced out with very little lead on the wheels. I'm 110% happy with everything. They used a machine with plastic ears on it to mount the tires. I had to talk to 3 different shops in my town to get it done, but if i can find someone in my small town, you guys should be able to also.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Traffic

You could go for Yokohama AVS Sports, like I did, at least until the S03s are back in stock or someone else comes out with a 275/35/19. The AVS Sports have heroic grip, although I'm running a 275/30 in the back.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:22 AM
vics350

Daytona, my only concern is the 30 profile. How's the ride on your tires? I've read some members saying that it feels like they're riding on the rim.

The good news for me now is that my installer will allow me to find tires anywhere and he will mount and balance them. Initially, he would only do it if I purchased the tires from him. I will be calling all over the country tomorrow and I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks for your help.
Vic
Old 06-22-2003, 10:50 AM
little_rod

Glad to know things are working out, my tires fell through, so I am waiting too, don't know how long. I know the feeling, walking by the rims and just shaking my head. They are soooooo beautiful, but they are just sitting there. I look at them and how they would look on my car, and start crying............................OK, not crying, but you get the point.

Nice to know the S03s are on backorder too, lol. Really makes my day. The only good thing about this is that I really didn't think I would get the rims in this quick anyway, and since moneywise I am tight right now, I like getting more wear on my stock tires. Small advantage, but significant for me nonetheless. People still stare at the car here anyway, heck, haven't seen any Zs with aftermarket rims here yet. Like to be first though, heh.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by vics350
Daytona, my only concern is the 30 profile. How's the ride on your tires? I've read some members saying that it feels like they're riding on the rim.

The good news for me now is that my installer will allow me to find tires anywhere and he will mount and balance them. Initially, he would only do it if I purchased the tires from him. I will be calling all over the country tomorrow and I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks for your help.
Vic
Rides about the same as the 17"s to me. Didn't bother me or my g/f at all. Only problem is that it's a little out of spec, b/c you really ought to be using a 35 profile.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:20 PM
TheLex

what about some Michelin Pilot sport A/S? They're just a tad less in the ultimate dry grip dept but a whole lot mo betta when the road's wet and cold.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:36 PM
jckolnturn

Hey Vic i hope to see those wheels installed for the Lime Rock meet! Will you have to roll the fenders or do the 10's clear?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
vics350

Tim, no need to roll the fenders. The width I got is the same as rodH and 2003Z and they didn't have to do this. My tires are due on Wednesday so it looks good that I'll have them mounted for the 12th.

See you there.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Jet_M3

Default congrats vic

Five, six and seven spoke wheels look best on the Z IMHO.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:28 PM
srobert910

Vics350, i have the same set up as you also, and I didn't have to roll the fenders either. Everything fit perfectly. You're gonna love the new wheels.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:11 PM
vics350

Originally posted by NiceJacket
PICS!!!!!

Victor
Trust me, I'll put them up as soon as the wheels are mounted. My tires are still in transit and are due to arrive on Wednesday. Because of plans for the 4th of July weekend, I will have to wait until the week of the 7th to get them mounted.

Hey, I just realized who you are. Welcome back.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:55 PM
rodH

Originally posted by NiceJacket
PICS!!!!!

Victor
welcome back bro!!!!

Quick Reply: UPS delivers................iForged RS Aeros!